Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

9 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’d for sure take Jameson if he drops.  Wouldn’t even care if he didn’t contribute till late in the year,  or even next. 

Any WR we draft probably wont make a serious impact until later in the year anyway

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Any WR we draft probably wont make a serious impact until later in the year anyway

For sure.    Was just commenting,  as I think the idea that anyone we need to draft needs to be a day 1 starter is erroneous.    

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Interesting ... according to this ArrowheadPride list the Chiefs bring in quite a few Tight Ends for an official visit ....

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/4/7/23014942/chiefs-top-30-nfl-draft-visit-tracker-keeping-track-of-the-prospects-visiting-kansas-city

If we didn’t bring back Bell, I’d be ok with another late round guy. But at this point it seems like a wasted pick. That’s assuming Fortson comes back healthy. 

16 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If we didn’t bring back Bell, I’d be ok with another late round guy. But at this point it seems like a wasted pick. That’s assuming Fortson comes back healthy. 

Could be looking for one that is actually above average at blocking.

18 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Could be looking for one that is actually above average at blocking.

Ehh Tight Ends are one of the most versatile positions.    It's good to have some in stock just for the practice squad,  they are good practice bodies at multiple spots.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Like almost all of our TEs?

Kelce, Gray and Fortson certainly don’t strike fear into opposition for their blocking prowess.  They do alright in the open field, but I wouldn’t consider any of them a strong in line blocker.

Remember we might actually have to commit to thinking about possibly considering to run the ball…as an option…

Edited by EMAW_KSU
MAYBE

7 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Interesting ... according to this ArrowheadPride list the Chiefs bring in quite a few Tight Ends for an official visit ....

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/4/7/23014942/chiefs-top-30-nfl-draft-visit-tracker-keeping-track-of-the-prospects-visiting-kansas-city

We need to replace Blake Bell who was the principal in-line blocking TE. They tried a committee approach in 2020 with poor results. However, blocking TEs fall through the draft. I could see using a 7th round pick on a replacement but getting several as UDFA is also an option. 

Also, it's worth noting that Kelce is 32-years old. Gray is one of the players who will eventually fill his shoes but probably not the only one. We can get several cheap ones, use them on ST and see if one of them gels as a pass catcher.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Kelce, Gray and Fortson certainly don’t strike fear into opposition for their blocking prowess.  They do alright in the open field, but I wouldn’t consider any of them a strong in line blocker.

Remember we might actually have to commit to thinking about possibly considering to run the ball…as an option…

Kelce is a sound blocker both in-line and moving. Gray is excellent in space, so he's a good lead blocker. Fortson is yet to be seen. As noted, Blake Bell was the designated in-line TE, so we are missing that.

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

As noted, Blake Bell was the designated in-line TE, so we are missing that.

We re-signed Bell in March.  Regardless, it doesn’t shock me that we’re looking at young guys.  

I am excited about Watson coming in for a top 30.  I believe he could end up being one of our first round picks if we stand firm.  I would much rather take him slightly early, and keep the other first, then spend both our firsts moving up for someone like Olave, or even Jameson Williams who is far and away my favorite receiver in the draft.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
I’m sure he’s physically fit