Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

55 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Rams didn't have a great receiver. Cooper Kupp had a monster season--almost as much as his best two seasons combined--but he's just better than average.

Umm…but…umm the first time he has a mildly competent QB the guy wins the triple crown?  If anything you could say he’s UNDERRATED.

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

You really dont think Kupp is Elite? Thats crazy talk and you know it, dude just won the triple crown for receivers. But hes just an average receiver riiiiiight. Anyways;

Chiefs: Hill/Kelce - 9ers:  Kittle

Buccs: Evans  - Chiefs: Hill/Kelce

Rams: Kupp/Odell - Bengals: Chase

Last 6 teams to go to the Super Bowl had an elite receivers to catch the football. Sorry but this aint 2001 and time aint going back to the good ol days. You need to evolve your mindset. Brady/Belicheck will never be repeated anyways so using them as examples for the future when theyre from a bygone era is just silly.

Its 2022, its a passing league, were gonna need more to compete now and intot he future. Especially in this stocked conference and in a world where teams skate by on the cap margin to fill their teams with elite name talent

To be fair, if you're going to count Kittle, you're basically saying we don't need an elite WR, because we already have Kelce.

Personally, I don't think you need a single elite receiver. While you are right to list Chase, Kupp, and Evans as top tier threats, I'd argue on all three of those teams, the overall talent of their receiving corps was a bigger deal than the single individual at the top. Not just Chase, but Chase/Higgins/Boyd. Not just Kupp, but Kupp/OBJ/Woods/Jefferson/Higbee. Not just Evans, but Evans/Godwin/Gronk/Brown. Like, in 2020, Evans was barely a 1000 yard receiver. He had one catch against us in the Superbowl. Caught half his targets in the postseason. Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase were very close in production this past postseason. They weren't one man shows. Except 2021 post season Kupp. Kupp was nuts.

I don't think you need an elite receiver, I just think you need a strong overall corp. That can be top heavy, like our years with Hill and Kelce and a forgettable crew behind them, or it can be a deep corp where no one is actually elite. Like, Mike Evans in 2020 wasn't even a top 10 WR that year, but the unit was definitely top 5.

I think with Hill asking for more than we were willing to give, we've shifted to trying to build more of the latter. Kelce/Juju/MVS/Hardman/draft pick won't have an elite WR, but can have the depth and versatility to still be a top unit.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

To be fair, if you're going to count Kittle, you're basically saying we don't need an elite WR, because we already have Kelce.

Personally, I don't think you need a single elite receiver. While you are right to list Chase, Kupp, and Evans as top tier threats, I'd argue on all three of those teams, the overall talent of their receiving corps was a bigger deal than the single individual at the top. Not just Chase, but Chase/Higgins/Boyd. Not just Kupp, but Kupp/OBJ/Woods/Jefferson/Higbee. Not just Evans, but Evans/Godwin/Gronk/Brown. Like, in 2020, Evans was barely a 1000 yard receiver. He had one catch against us in the Superbowl. Caught half his targets in the postseason. Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase were very close in production this past postseason. They weren't one man shows. Except 2021 post season Kupp. Kupp was nuts.

I don't think you need an elite receiver, I just think you need a strong overall corp. That can be top heavy, like our years with Hill and Kelce and a forgettable crew behind them, or it can be a deep corp where no one is actually elite. Like, Mike Evans in 2020 wasn't even a top 10 WR that year, but the unit was definitely top 5.

I think with Hill asking for more than we were willing to give, we've shifted to trying to build more of the latter. Kelce/Juju/MVS/Hardman/draft pick won't have an elite WR, but can have the depth and versatility to still be a top unit.

Kelce is 33 and not under contract past 2023, like most of our receiving corp, which is kinda the whole point im making in that were gonna need to keep building towards the future by continuing to accumulate Elite talent. Some people like to deny that and say all we need is Mahomes and a Top 10 OL, absolute silliness

Im just pointing out trends, people can deny em if they want. I think for this year were solid, maybe. Juju has chronic knee issues, Hardman has had serious  confidence/trust issues, MVS is a career 3rd/4th option, and Kelce is turning 33. I honestly dont see where the confidence is coming from but hey, we might just be okay with that + Mahomes. Maybe.

I just hate the whole “Well Tom Brady and Belicheck did it with xyz players” yeah and that was also 4 years ago and worked against Jared Goff led SB teams. Mahomes/Reid are definitely not Brady/Belicheck either, never will be.

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Kelce is 33 and not under contract past 2023, like most of our receiving corp, which is kinda the whole point im making in that were gonna need to keep building towards the future by continuing to accumulate Elite talent. Some people like to deny that and say all we need is Mahomes and a Top 10 OL, absolute silliness

Im just pointing out trends, people can deny em if they want. I think for this year were solid, maybe. Juju has chronic knee issues, Hardman has had serious  confidence/trust issues, MVS is a career 3rd/4th option, and Kelce is turning 33. I honestly dont see where the confidence is coming from but hey, we might just be okay with that + Mahomes. Maybe.

I just hate the whole “Well Tom Brady and Belicheck did it with xyz players” yeah and that was also 4 years ago and worked against Jared Goff led SB teams. Mahomes/Reid are definitely not Brady/Belicheck either, never will be.

I think most of us are under the impression we need to add talent.  I just think trading for Deebo backs us more into a corner, his talent us obviously more known.  But the cost both in picks and dollars is going to be way way higher.

• Like 1

If you guys get a chance, check out the Veach presser that just came out a couple hours ago. I think it's fair to say we're not going for Deebo or anyone anytime soon. Seems like Veach is in full draft mode right now and is prepared to build out the team through the draft. 

Also, he spoke on OBjr saying he has been acting as his own agent but is currently looking to hire one possibly and that any kind of long term extension won't be til after that happens/draft. 

It was a pretty informative presser imo.

I get what you're saying bro but I think at the end of the day we're not going to pay an elite guy 25+. Take last year for example, if Kelce and Hill were 10's and they had nothing but 3's behind em, Pat won't be able to really spread it around as if we had a Kelce as a 10 and a bunch of 5, 6 and 7's.

10 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

"Cooper Kupp had a monster season--almost as much as his best two seasons combined--but he's just better than average." 

These are also your exact words. I disagree wholeheartedly

Prior to 2021, CK hit 1000 yards only once in five seasons. He was a good player but not close to elite. In 2021 he had a great season. Chemistry with the QB was a big part of that and the point I am making is that we have the QB how can elevate a good receiver. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I get what you're saying bro but I think at the end of the day we're not going to pay an elite guy 25+. Take last year for example, if Kelce and Hill were 10's and they had nothing but 3's behind em, Pat won't be able to really spread it around as if we had a Kelce as a 10 and a bunch of 5, 6 and 7's.

Well Mahomes has a lot of issues, but one of his main ones was focusing too much on Tyreek. Hopefully thats alleviated a bit now and he starts spreading the ball a bit more reliably.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think most of us are under the impression we need to add talent.  I just think trading for Deebo backs us more into a corner, his talent us obviously more known.  But the cost both in picks and dollars is going to be way way higher.

Oh i dont think were trading for Deebo, but hes still a better option than anybody in the draft. Known unknowns and all that jazz.

i dont think the 9ers are willing to trade em either

my whole point is that by 2023 weve got a bare cupboard and will need to restock with more elite talent. i just dont think with how the league is trending top 10 OL and Mahomes isnt gonna cut it.

55 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Prior to 2021, CK hit 1000 yards only once in five seasons. He was a good player but not close to elite. In 2021 he had a great season. Chemistry with the QB was a big part of that and the point I am making is that we have the QB how can elevate a good receiver. 

Youre basically punishing an elite receiver for having a turrible QB to work with 

Kadarius Toney on the trade block, any takers?

Word is he's trying harder to be a rapper than be a football player but that's for Veach and co to decide. From a talent perspective he'd be perfect toy for Andy to scare defensive coordinators, just don't know if he'd be committed enough to send a 3(maybe?).