Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

16 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

You run the risk of flop regardless of school, regardless of combine numbers.

That risk is greatly diminished if that school belongs to a great conference (SEC). Also competing at the combine greatly reduces risk if that player is a standout performer.

No system is guaranteed. Risk can be greatly reduced however.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I will say this about Watson, I don’t know that all of his drops aren on him. His QB play last year was atrocious.  But again, this is why these guys get coached.

Pickens to me is the guy you know exactly what you’re getting.  Not really any upside, maybe not much downside.

Oh absolutely, it's PFF I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle on all these guys.

Pickens reminds me of that AJ Green type, sticky hands and a "go up and get it" WR but he's slender so he might have trouble off the line.

Of the WRs I've looked up (minus the guys we'd have to move up to get) , he seems to be the one that stands out to me.

Guess we'll see, a lot of options with this much draft capital

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

That risk is greatly diminished if that school belongs to a great conference (SEC). Also competing at the combine greatly reduces risk if that player is a standout performer.

No system is guaranteed. Risk can be greatly reduced however.

The Senior Bowl is actually the best indicator for a productive NFL Career.

Usually if a college player is productive, and is productive during Senior Bowl week, chances are hes gonna be productive in the nfl.

12 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Saw this and thought it was interesting, he's (Pickens) getting to be my favorite WR prospect that we can grab without the big trades: 

Read that T. Burks really had a better year in 2021 holding onto the ball. He's got BIG hands (10"+)

41 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Read that T. Burks really had a better year in 2021 holding onto the ball. He's got BIG hands (10"+)

That dude is a brute, reminds me of Deebo Samuel.

Definitely has some sticky hands, like you said. Only issue, to me, is I guess I'm always looking for that extra speed gear and I'm not sure he has it. I'm not sure he could play out wide but isn't quick or shifty enough for the slot. Him coming off an end-around or some kind of quick hitter would be pretty filthy tho.

What do y'all think about this: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/tyrann-mathieu-heartbroken-over-leaving-chiefs-after-three-seasons-in-kansas-cit

“To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it," Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.”

I'm starting to think there's a little more to it than what he's saying here. I'll always be a fan of his but, to me, if it were that simple I think Veach would've tried to get him back. 

Not gonna lie, he didn't play his best ball imo with all the going for the strip instead of the tackle or be trailing his guy 10 yards behind with his hands raised.

I'm starting to think the front office had their suspicions of a decline coming, coupled with (nothing substantiated but) some of his possible contract demands, they decided to move on. 

Having said all that, if Veach could get him on a 1 year deal to be the 3rd Safety I would be happy.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

That dude is a brute, reminds me of Deebo Samuel.

Definitely has some sticky hands, like you said. Only issue, to me, is I guess I'm always looking for that extra speed gear and I'm not sure he has it. I'm not sure he could play out wide but isn't quick or shifty enough for the slot. Him coming off an end-around or some kind of quick hitter would be pretty filthy tho.

Well, D. Samuel for sure. Very physical. RAC is massive. Burks can win jump balls too. He'll fight for catch and yardage.

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/tyrann-mathieu-heartbroken-over-leaving-chiefs-after-three-seasons-in-kansas-cit

“To be honest, if they would’ve offered me Justin Reid’s deal, obviously I would’ve tried to negotiate, but if that’s where they drew their line in the sand, I probably would’ve took it," Mathieu said. “I probably would’ve took it. Agents are going to do their thing, but at the end of the day, it’s the player’s decision whether to sign it or not.”

I saw this article.  Makes me sad, on the inside.  I wonder if there was a disconnect between what Mathieu’s agent and Mathieu are saying.  All we’re hearing is he’s not signed because his price may be too high and he’s waiting for it to be met…then this comes out.

Our defense could certainly still use his heart and his leadership, his wife has the business on the plaza.  Some sense to be made there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The Senior Bowl is actually the best indicator for a productive NFL Career.

Usually if a college player is productive, and is productive during Senior Bowl week, chances are hes gonna be productive in the nfl.

I also found this to be true of WR Kyle Philips, UCLA. He had a great Senior Bowl week. He's a fav of mine. I'll be excited for PMII if the Chiefs select him

15 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

DJ Hayden got waived and somewhere in my brain I am imagining Brett Veach as Hannibal from the A-Team saying “I love it when a plan comes together.”

His plan was a 31 year old CB that’s played 6 games in 2 years? 

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

He's straight up lying. 

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

His plan was a 31 year old CB that’s played 6 games in 2 years? 

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Former 1st rounder that never lived up to the hype…should be fresh! Though I’ll admit, didn’t think he was that old, guess that means I’m getting old.