2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Douglas will trade for Brandin Cooks.

No way. He’s bringing someone in on that Keelan Cole type level and then drafting a guy. I think he doesn’t wait past our 2nd rounders to draft a guy. But still not sold he’s using 10 on one like I want him to do.

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Douglas will trade for Brandin Cooks.

Possibly. He has been aggressive in trying to get a good WR. Not sure if Cooks age is a roadblock. I am just curious how LaFleur would use Davis, Moore, Cooks, and Berrios. Aside from Moore, they would all be making “starter” money.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But still not sold he’s using 10 on one like I want him to do.

It depends on who else, if any, he gets before the draft. If JD trades for a good receiver like Cooks, I think it would be safe to rule out WR at 10. If he does nothing or gets that “Cole” type, I think it is greater than 50% he drafts a WR at 10. He realizes the need. We all see that. The question is does he value a WR this year at 10?  He may not be as high on this years WR class as we fans are. There is no clear cut top WR as evidence by all the opinions about who should be first off the board.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

It depends on who else, if any, he gets before the draft. If JD trades for a good receiver like Cooks, I think it would be safe to rule out WR at 10. If he does nothing or gets that “Cole” type, I think it is greater than 50% he drafts a WR at 10. He realizes the need. We all see that. The question is does he value a WR this year at 10?  He may not be as high on this years WR class as we fans are. There is no clear cut top WR as evidence by all the opinions about who should be first off the board.

I could see this. Cooks is underrated and I have no clue why teams keep trading him besides to get rid of his salary. He seems to be a guy that produces so it’s hard to not pay him bc his numbers are there. But he isn’t altering games either. So teams think they’re fine without him. I’d welcome him. But I’d still rather just grab a guy at 10. I’m open to 4 WRs there. I have the way I rank them. But I’d welcome any of them. And think they’re all worth the draft spot bc they have #1 WR potential.

Was thinking about this…. For those wondering why we haven’t really tried landing the big talent as much… you have to think about the future. Let’s take last years draft for example. You can only franchise tag 1 player a year. We had 5 rookies last year look really good. How are we going to pay all of them in 3-4 years if we have a bunch of money tied up in 28yr olds that we gave big 4-5 year deals to?

This year we have 4 incredibly valuable picks. We hit on them or even 2 or 3 of them. Those guys have to get paid in 4-5 years. We can do some short term deals bc we have no one to pay in the next year or 2. But if guys like Becton, Hall, Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter, MC2 and these top picks this year as hits. We have to save money for them. We can’t “have to” let guys walk bc we’re tied up in money from bad contracts this year and next year.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For those wondering why we haven’t really tried landing the big talent as much… you have to think about the future

That has been one of the main arguments some of us have had against those big splashy FA signings. The good thing is JD realizes this which is why he goes after younger players with deals we can get of in 2-3 years.

23 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

keep the competition going. We're going to need to find the right kicker this year if we're going to be competitive. 

I was hoping he would sign with the Jets. They now have a guy that can be a top 5 kicker if he is healthy. 

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

I was hoping he would sign with the Jets. They now have a guy that can be a top 5 kicker if he is healthy. 

I know he was big in 2017-18, but I haven't really followed him lately but I'm happy we're not settling in this position. We probably won't see 6 wins if our kicker is bad. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Was thinking about this…. For those wondering why we haven’t really tried landing the big talent as much… you have to think about the future. Let’s take last years draft for example. You can only franchise tag 1 player a year. We had 5 rookies last year look really good. How are we going to pay all of them in 3-4 years if we have a bunch of money tied up in 28yr olds that we gave big 4-5 year deals to?

This year we have 4 incredibly valuable picks. We hit on them or even 2 or 3 of them. Those guys have to get paid in 4-5 years. We can do some short term deals bc we have no one to pay in the next year or 2. But if guys like Becton, Hall, Wilson, AVT, Moore, Carter, MC2 and these top picks this year as hits. We have to save money for them. We can’t “have to” let guys walk bc we’re tied up in money from bad contracts this year and next year.

That's why JD has been adding kill switches early in the contracts he's been offering. Davis and Lawson's contracts can be cut were timed along with Mosely's. Cutting those 3 players alone would give us $41M next year. Right on time to start preparing for extensions if needed. 

Last year's fight towards the end, Saleh's rep, and the fact that more athletes are entrepenuers on the side makes us interesting. That's why I'm so happy we didn't tank. Those are the type of things that made a pro-bowl guard, starting TE, and SS from superbowl contenders come to us so quickly. The only big splash moves I was interested in was for Hunter or a top WR, that's it. I would have love to hit on one of those two, but we have an opportunity to hit on those same positions in the draft.