2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure he falls that far (I hope he does). But the guy is dropping down boards for no reason, when he’s an elite C prospect. Arguably the safest pick in the whole draft. I’d bet a good penny he’s a multiple time Pro bowler in his career

I agree but C is just not that important of a position. You can pretty much get away with and average to below average C and still have a very good line. As long as the C is smart and read the blocking assignments. 

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

2 things that just aren’t making sense to me.

1. Travon Walker flying up boards.

2. Linderbaum moving down boards.

I haver no idea why Walker is going high on boards. He is a bust waiting to happen. I know his numbers look great at the combine but too many guys fail with good numbers. He was on one of the best D in college over the last few years and real did not produce at all. I would take him in the second or third round but not in the top ten no way, 

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree but C is just not that important of a position. You can pretty much get away with and average to below average C and still have a very good line. As long as the C is smart and read the blocking assignments. 

I mean yes it’s not as valuable as protecting your QBs blind side. But if you have a great C that can call who’s got who pre snap and have that 10 year C/QB combo. That’s incredible. And that’s what you’d get with Linderbaum.

Im not big time saying that’s the avenue we should go at 10. I’m more saying I have no clue why a lot have him falling to the 20s now. If that’s the case… I’d be all for trading up for him. Last time we traded up for a C it worked out pretty good for us 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I haver no idea why Walker is going high on boards. He is a bust waiting to happen. I know his numbers look great at the combine but too many guys fail with good numbers. He was on one of the best D in college over the last few years and real did not produce at all. I would take him in the second or third round but not in the top ten no way, 

Just really have to hope a team 1-3 falls in love with him or JD doesn’t get fooled by just some combine numbers.

The Athletic's Mike Sando reports the Jets have been turned down by several free agents this offseason. 

An NFL executive told Sando that the Jets "were in on a ton of guys and got nobody," including Tyreek Hill, who chose the Dolphins over the Jets when Kansas City granted him permission to seek a trade in March. “They don’t have a selling point to players right now," the executive said. "People don’t know what to think of Zach Wilson, players don’t necessarily covet playing in that market, and guys who have choices tend to wind up elsewhere. They are in this weird purgatory.” New York this offseason has signed second and third-tier free agents like Tyler Conklin, C.J. Uzomah, G Laken Tomlinson, and S Jordan Whitehead while failing to land a splash free agency signing despite plenty of cap space. An improved performance form Zach Wilson in 2022 would go a long way in luring big-name free agents to the Jets next offseason. It would be exceedingly difficult for Wilson to be worse than he was as a rookie. 

I thought this was pretty interesting. We all knew this. No one wants to come here until they start to win. If Wilson has another bad year this could mean the jets are in for another every long wait. This is why you have to get that QB and if you don't have him move on and don't wait for the "Well he did improve in some areas and MIGHT be the guy." After year 2 you should know if he is your guy or not. It is pretty rare that a QB who is taken in the first round and does not become the guy for that team after 2 years goes onto another team and wins. We need great players period!!! This is why you need to draft great players like Gardner who will be an elite CB over guys like JJ and these other edge guys besides Hutch and KT. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean yes it’s not as valuable as protecting your QBs blind side. But if you have a great C that can call who’s got who pre snap and have that 10 year C/QB combo. That’s incredible. And that’s what you’d get with Linderbaum.

Im not big time saying that’s the avenue we should go at 10. I’m more saying I have no clue why a lot have him falling to the 20s now. If that’s the case… I’d be all for trading up for him. Last time we traded up for a C it worked out pretty good for us 

I agree that it is nice having a C to grow with the QB for 10 years is great but in the big picture is not a high priority. 

20 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree that it is nice having a C to grow with the QB for 10 years is great but in the big picture is not a high priority. 

I’d rather draft a starting elite C than a combine warrior in Walker or a guy like Sauce that more than likely is our 4th CB as a rookie. We draft Linderbaum and we move McGovern more than likely. 

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Just really have to hope a team 1-3 falls in love with him or JD doesn’t get fooled by just some combine numbers.

JD is not Mac.  With that said, watch him pull a Mac now.  In all seriousness, JD is far too pragmatic to place too much value on off season workouts.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Linderbaum is in that generational talent level though. 

I agree. He will step in day 1 and be a top 10 maybe 5 C. I think Gardner is a generational CB too. The more I watch this guy he has everything. Then you add he is 6' 3". I think Gardener in 3 years will be the top CB in the league. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, Abe56 said:

Our 30 visits or planned 30 visits so far

Garrett Wilson

Ahmad Gardner

Kayvon Thibodeaux

Travon Walker

Aidan Hutchinson 

Ikem Ekwonu

Jameson Williams

Chris Olave

Treylon Burks

Drake London

Devonte Wyatt

Perrion Winfrey

Isaiah Likely

Pretty clear their heads are at WR and DE, which most expect out two first round picks to be

Couple names to add

Evan Neal

Derek Stingley Jr.

Taysir Mack

Jermaine Johnson ll

Lewis Cine

Jalen Wydermyer

3 hours ago, Dr.O said:

The track record for 1st round Centers haven’t been very good in recent memory.

Similar debate came about when we picked AVT and Douglas was laughed at for moving up for him.

A year later, no one is laughing. 

Gotta judge each prospect on their own, especially positions that don’t carry much depth and require a very specific skill set.