2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They tend to fill those holes via free agency

And the track record there has been spotty at best. In fact, McGovern and Fant may be JD’s most productive FA’s last year and they are the ones some people want to get a backups for in the first round.

Realizing we can’t fill all the holes via FA, we need to draft starters where we can and worry about future replacements once we have starters in place.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

And the track record there has been spotty at best. In fact, McGovern and Fant may be JD’s most productive FA’s last year and they are the ones some people want to get a backups for in the first round.

Realizing we can’t fill all the holes via FA, we need to draft starters where we can and worry about future replacements once we have starters in place.

They’re going to be gone soon. If JD extends them this off-season that’s one thing but as of right now we don’t have a starting Center and only 1 OT for 2023. 

Douglas does it the right way, you’re playing Madden respectfully. It doesn’t work that way. 

Let’s say we draft Linderbaum for example, we cut McGovern(none of his salary is guaranteed) and open up some cap space and grab someone at another position with the $9M we save. 

Not saying that happens but that’s how you reallocate your resources. 

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

Want the Bengals but I also want to see Stafford win. But more than anything, I want a good game.

Def should be a good game unless the Rams DL just wrecks the Bengals OL. Bengals short passing game is crucial, if Burrow can 3 step drop them to death then it’s gonna be a helluva game.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

You never know.

I’d definitely know which way I’d bet though.

Q in 3 seasons has 15.5 sacks. That averages 5 a season. Donald averages 12.5/season and he gets doubled teamed every play nearly. Through 3 seasons he also had 28 sacks and those were his 3 worst years of his career. Since then he’s averaging 14.5/ season. With 1 year having 20.5 also while getting double teamed.

Lets set the bar at let’s hope Q can get to double digit sacks one day. JFM next to him with Lawson and another Edge can only help I know that. 

The FA period starts March 16 at 4 PM, as of now the five teams in the best shape are all AFL teams

Miami 66 million Need more offensive help

LA Charges 62 million Need defensive help

Jacksonville 61 million dire need offensive help

CINN Bengals 56 millions It will be all about the O line with this team

NY Jets     47 millions probably defensive help

These figures are before any cuts.

Why isn't cutting Rankins not being big time considered?

Cutting him would save about 5mill. For me I'd rather us resign Foley who is a year younger and move JFM inside as well. Roll with Q, Foley, JFM and Marshall at DT. Get an edge to pair with Lawson in the draft hopefully.

From a cap perspective... Cutting GVR and Griffin saves roughly 6.5mill. For me that's about what we should give Berrios. We cut Rankins and assume Foley will command about 8mill. Us cutting guys like Cashman, Nacua, Muffatt, Phillips, Aamia, etc. each save close to 1mill each. Making that we can in essence resign Berrios and Foley (even LDT for cheap) with just roster cuts. Still allowing us to have that 50mill figure to spend on outside FAs. Which in reality is more like 30-35mill to spend bc of all of our top picks in the draft. Still 35mill to spend after resigning our own FAs is still a good amount of cap. Ideally I'd like to see us attack TE, S and LB in FA. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Why isn't cutting Rankins not being big time considered?

Cutting him would save about 5mill. For me I'd rather us resign Foley who is a year younger and move JFM inside as well. Roll with Q, Foley, JFM and Marshall at DT. Get an edge to pair with Lawson in the draft hopefully.

From a cap perspective... Cutting GVR and Griffin saves roughly 6.5mill. For me that's about what we should give Berrios. We cut Rankins and assume Foley will command about 8mill. Us cutting guys like Cashman, Nacua, Muffatt, Phillips, Aamia, etc. each save close to 1mill each. Making that we can in essence resign Berrios and Foley (even LDT for cheap) with just roster cuts. Still allowing us to have that 50mill figure to spend on outside FAs. Which in reality is more like 30-35mill to spend bc of all of our top picks in the draft. Still 35mill to spend after resigning our own FAs is still a good amount of cap. Ideally I'd like to see us attack TE, S and LB in FA. 

A lot of our guys don’t have guaranteed money on their deals so we don’t have to cut them until we have to cut them essentially. If you need the cap space you can pivot and release a guy if not you keep him going into camp(you don’t know what kind of injuries can happen) and let things play out.

Only free agents we probably have to negotiate with are Berrios and Fatukasi. I personally think Fatukasi ends up with the Chargers and Berrios returns on a 5M per deal(he basically takes Crowder’s contract number/role.