2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A lot of our guys don’t have guaranteed money on their deals so we don’t have to cut them until we have to cut them essentially. If you need the cap space you can pivot and release a guy if not you keep him going into camp(you don’t know what kind of injuries can happen) and let things play out.

Only free agents we probably have to negotiate with are Berrios and Fatukasi. I personally think Fatukasi ends up with the Chargers and Berrios returns on a 5M per deal(he basically takes Crowder’s contract number/role.

But that's further playing into my point. Why would you let Foley walk over money when you have the ability to cut Rankins and save 5mill. AND Foley is a year younger.

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But that's further playing into my point. Why would you let Foley walk over money when you have the ability to cut Rankins and save 5mill. AND Foley is a year younger.

I doubt it’s gonna be over money, again you can cut Rankins if you need to but I think Foley will go to a system that suits his skill set more than ours does, while also getting paid a nice contract. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Why isn't cutting Rankins not being big time considered?

Cutting him would save about 5mill. For me I'd rather us resign Foley who is a year younger and move JFM inside as well. Roll with Q, Foley, JFM and Marshall at DT. Get an edge to pair with Lawson in the draft hopefully.

From a cap perspective... Cutting GVR and Griffin saves roughly 6.5mill. For me that's about what we should give Berrios. We cut Rankins and assume Foley will command about 8mill. Us cutting guys like Cashman, Nacua, Muffatt, Phillips, Aamia, etc. each save close to 1mill each. Making that we can in essence resign Berrios and Foley (even LDT for cheap) with just roster cuts. Still allowing us to have that 50mill figure to spend on outside FAs. Which in reality is more like 30-35mill to spend bc of all of our top picks in the draft. Still 35mill to spend after resigning our own FAs is still a good amount of cap. Ideally I'd like to see us attack TE, S and LB in FA. 

When you look at our roster, I agree with you, TE, S, LB is the way to go with the FA players. I still want to go offensive with our high first round picks. Unless one of the top pass rushers falls to four.

10 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I doubt it’s gonna be over money, again you can cut Rankins if you need to but I think Foley will go to a system that suits his skill set more than ours does, while also getting paid a nice contract. 

agreed. foley was a fish out of water last year. we should be going after DJ Jones whose 27 and has been very good in the same system. cut rankins, let foley walk, sign Jones. 

I think out the gate, we're going to sign a RG, TE, and a safety. I just don't see JD waiting until the draft to improve the oline if close to sure options are available.  A good TE, but not someone good enough to stop them from drafting a TE. We went through a lot of safeties. That's an easy one to assume. 

Allen Robinson is a veteran FA WR who I'd love to have heading into the draft. 

WR 1: Allen Robinson (FA).

WR 2: Drake London (10th overall).

Slot: Elijah Moore (who can ball out on the outside too while being able to line up all over the offense as an NFL X-Factor and NYJ Playmaker). 

WR 4: Corey Davis.

='s

top 5 most talented WR unit within the entire NFL. 

WR 5: Denzel Mims (final opportunity to show his NFL worth).

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Schultz is a tag candidate, Williams will likely hit FA but will have a ton of suitors especially if Bates is tagged(likely)

In regards to Schultz, I'm not sure how Dallas can afford a Franchise Tag for a TE when they are already in serious salary cap hell @ -$21,449,885 Above the Cap (30th in the NFL).

28 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

In regards to Schultz, I'm not sure how Dallas can afford a Franchise Tag for a TE when they are already in serious salary cap hell @ -$21,449,885 Above the Cap (30th in the NFL).

Salary cap doesn’t matter right now, they don’t have to be under the cap yet. They’ll do some restructures and cuts. Schultz has no reason to leave Dallas and if they tag him then he’s pretty much stuck there.