2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

14 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The difference with Sam is everyone fell into the narrative that Adam Gase was the season he sucked when reality is Darnold simply couldn’t overcome his predraft issues. The Panthers are thirsty for a QB and will continue to throw assets at them until they find one. They struck out on Darnold.

That they did. 

Sam Darnold was atrocious (for a 4th year QB).

4-8 overall. 

243/406 (59.9%).

2,527 passing yards (210 per game).

9 TDs/13 INTs. 

9 Fumbles (4 lost). 

17 turnovers despite only 12 games played. 

QB Rating of only 71.9. 

Zach Wilson as a Rookie put up better numbers than Sam as a 4th year player and I can 100% guarantee as a 4th year future QB Zach Wilson isn't putting up those types of atrocious QB numbers. 

I despised Adam Gase due to his character and personality amongst his own players but Sam Darnold makes you feel Xs and Os bad for Adam Gase; because the poor guy never stood a chance with "Sam Darnold" as his atrocious QB. 

Joe Douglas is a GM guru for turning Mike Maccagnan leftovers into 2nd and 4th round picks. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

My thoughts on our first two picks. 

(4) If the top two edge guys are gone then go for the best O-Lineman. 

(10) Trade down if possible and then select a receiver. If no trade down is worth it or a superior player like Stingley/Hamilton/Sauce is available just get the top talent in. 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-free-agency-new-york-jets-linebacker-targets-anthony-walker-jawhaun-bentley/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2qAE6w1oNpCraJg5xPUuz7EqxNyPq_pqH4v1uMPTc_bTWajIrnEv4ZKQA

As much as I want a stud LB here’s another example of why we don’t need to draft one early. No idea if these guys are actually good but once we are in this defense a few years I think we can draft a late round guy every year to develop and groom in this system. Never have to spend big. 

36 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-free-agency-new-york-jets-linebacker-targets-anthony-walker-jawhaun-bentley/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2qAE6w1oNpCraJg5xPUuz7EqxNyPq_pqH4v1uMPTc_bTWajIrnEv4ZKQA

As much as I want a stud LB here’s another example of why we don’t need to draft one early. No idea if these guys are actually good but once we are in this defense a few years I think we can draft a late round guy every year to develop and groom in this system. Never have to spend big. 

It listed players based on statistic it seems.  I don't know which one will fit the role that Jets are looking for to have next season.

55 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’ve never been a big advocate of drafting LBs high. There’s plenty of guys with great instincts and athletic ability available in the mid rounds. Much like how a lot feel about RB. Especially since we have a certain kind of LBs we like for our system. So the ones “we like” can fall to us in that 3rd-5th round range.

• Like 1

WHO WOULD BE YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS BEFORE HEADING INTO THE DRAFT? 

Because right now the Jets are top 5 in available salary cap space (5th) @ $48,196,471.

And we could easily free up another...

• $3,194,824 by cutting Ryan Griffin. 

(Contract of $3,194,824 with a dead cap hit of only $186,118. 

• 3,500,000 by cutting Greg Van Roten. 

(Contract of $3,500,000 with a dead cap hit of $0.00 = $3,500,000 in cap savings. 

• $5,441,176 by cutting Sheldon Rankins 

(Contract of $6,191,176 with a dead cap hit of only $750k = $5,441,176 in cap savings). 

• $9,000,000 by cutting Connor McGovern.

(Contract of $10,333,334 with a dead cap hit of only $1,333,334 = $9,000,000 in cap savings). 

• $10,102,941 by cutting George Fant. 

(Contract of $11,102,941 with a dead cap hit of only $1,000,000 = $10,102,941 in cap savings).

By releasing these 5 players (imo all are easily replaceable throughout both FA and the draft) that'll give Joe Douglas an additional $31,238,942 in available salary cap space. 

Putting our grand total of Available Salary Cap Space @ 79,435,413 (easily #1 most cap space in the league).

1.) Franchise LT: Terron Armstesd. 30 years old (Saints). 

2.) Top 5 NFL TE: Dalton Schultz. 25 years old (Cowboys). 

3.) Game Changing FS: Marcus Williams. 25 years old (Saints). 

✓ This would give us a ton of flexibility heading into the draft while looking to target both of Interior O-Line and WR. 

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

WHO WOULD BE YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS BEFORE HEADING INTO THE DRAFT? 

Because right now the Jets are top 5 in available salary cap space (5th) @ $48,196,471.

And we could easily free up another...

• $3,194,824 by cutting Ryan Griffin. 

(Contract of $3,194,824 with a dead cap hit of only $186,118. 

• 3,500,000 by cutting Greg Van Roten. 

(Contract of $3,500,000 with a dead cap hit of $0.00 = $3,500,000 in cap savings. 

• $5,441,176 by cutting Sheldon Rankins 

(Contract of $6,191,176 with a dead cap hit of only $750k = $5,441,176 in cap savings). 

• $9,000,000 by cutting Connor McGovern.

(Contract of $10,333,334 with a dead cap hit of only $1,333,334 = $9,000,000 in cap savings). 

• $10,102,941 by cutting George Fant. 

(Contract of $11,102,941 with a dead cap hit of only $1,000,000 = $10,102,941 in cap savings).

By releasing these 5 players (imo all are easily replaceable throughout both FA and the draft) that'll give Joe Douglas an additional $31,238,942 in available salary cap space. 

Putting our grand total of Available Salary Cap Space @ 79,435,413 (easily #1 most cap space in the league).

1.) Franchise LT: Terron Armstesd. 30 years old (Saints). 

2.) Top 5 NFL TE: Dalton Schultz. 25 years old (Cowboys). 

3.) Game Changing FS: Marcus Williams. 25 years old (Saints). 

✓ This would give us a ton of flexibility heading into the draft while looking to target both of Interior O-Line and WR. 

Do not want!! Garbage 😉

43 minutes ago, xrade said:

McGovern and Fant are JD signings and have played well. Makes no sense to cut them creating more holes. They played well. The idea is to acquire good players not acquire cap space. 

Cutting both of Fant (OT) and McGovern (C) and upgrading over them with Franchise LT (Terron Armstesd) and freak of nature Center (Tyler Linderbaum) would become two major O-Line upgrades. 

LT: Terron Armstesd. 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

C; Tyler Linderbaum. 

RT: Mekhi Becton. 

I'm from the days of Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold and I'm sorry but watching mediocre Connor McGovern @ Center doesn't even feel like I'm watching Jets 🏈 anymore...

2 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Cutting both of Fant (OT) and McGovern (C) and upgrading over them with Franchise LT (Terron Armstesd) and freak of nature Center (Tyler Linderbaum) would become two major O-Line upgrades. 

C; Tyler Linderbaum. 

I'm from the days of Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold and I'm sorry but watching mediocre Connor McGovern @ Center doesn't even feel like I'm watching Jets 🏈 anymore...

Armstead is unreliable as ****.

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

C; Tyler Linderbaum. 

No doubt both can be upgraded but to create more holes on a team filled with them is just not good team building ATM.  We can draft a Linderbaum next year.

Jets sign

Multi-years-

S Jordan Whitehead

SWR Christian Kirk

Minimum Year-

S Jaquiski Tartt

LB Damien Wilson

BTE Mo Alie-Cox

Jets trade down from #4 to #12

10 - DE Jermaine Johnson

12- RG Kenyon Green

Jets trade back in to get #27

27 - TE Trey McBride

The rest of draft is for BPA.

Boom!

37 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets sign

Multi-years-

S Jordan Whitehead

Please no. 

I moved from Queens to Tampa Bay Florida (Saint Petersburg) and that guy stinks. 

Career wise he's worse than even Jamal Adams in pass coverage within every single statistical category known to Safety mankind (hard to believe) but unlike #33 he's not able to rush the QB or tackle RBs behind the LOS; he's atrocious.

I'd 🤮 if I ever had to watch him in Green and White as a Jets Safety.