Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Leo Chenal

This kid baffles me. On tape he looks like Bobby Boucher Waterboy running down field with his pants falling off. Than you see his numbers and it doesn't match up with his tapes.

Also, He is the guy BB picks and surprises  us all.

I like the idea of giving Troy Brown and assistant WR coach as he transitions to full time WR coach. That's a good idea. Douglas has some experience now.. a year with the Patriots and some time in college at a few schools. 

Pickens is a massive boom or bust guy... and has some injury history.. but they seem to have a lot of smoke around liking him. Will be interesting to see how that works out. They certainly have been putting a lot of effort into finding a WR over 6ft. 

Pats will trade the 21st pick to KC so they can draft Chris Olave. 

They have to make this trade or they miss out on the last elite WR in the draft.

Pats get 30, 50 from KC.

30 = Travis Jones

50 =   Cameron Thomas

54 = Troy Anderson

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Pats will trade the 21st pick to KC so they can draft Chris Olave. 

They have to make this trade or they miss out on the last elite WR in the draft.

Pats get 30, 50 from KC.

30 = Travis Jones

50 =   Cameron Thomas

54 = Troy Anderson

I could totally see that trade happening given the influx of pics they have now. They are def overpaying to jump up a few spots but if Olave is there I can see them doing it. 

I'm on board with Travis Jones.. i think you could probably even trade back again and still get him but I see the value in getting that 5th year option if you really think he's going to be special. 

I would be fine with Anderson at 54 too ( even though I think you could probably trade back 10 picks and still get him too).. but I think 50 would turn into trade bait again in this scenario. Like imagine if you could convince the Jags to trade 65 and 70 for 50.. BB would do that in a second.

30 = Travis Jones (DT)

54 = Troy Anderson ( LB, I would be happy with Christian Harris or Quay Walker here too) 

65 = Alec Pierce (X Receiver) 

70 = John Metchie (Z/Slot Receiver) 

85 = Zach Tom ( G/T, Day 1 Starter) 

127 = Zyon McCollum (CB, Developmental guy) 

170 = Cordell Volston ( T, Developmental RT)

200 = Matt Araiza ( P, don't think he would make it this far but I'd def take it if he did) 

210 = Max Borghi ( RB, 3rd down RB as James White Insurance) 

I would have liked to double dip at CB but overall very happy with how that trade turned out. I really like KC as a trade back option if Olave/Williams are there at 21. Being able to get both Pierce and Metchie in the 3rd would be HUGE for Mac. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Also, via Evan Lazar

“Ross Douglas is moving to the offensive side of the ball. This is the second Pro Day where he’s been seen with WRs. He was also at Georgia in a photo with George Pickens.“

Yes. And yes.

Pickens is the kind of player you take a chance on. Because at the end of the day, the tools are there to be the best X in this draft. Very boom or bust as @Crimmagesaid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, m haynes said:

This kid baffles me. On tape he looks like Bobby Boucher Waterboy running down field with his pants falling off. Than you see his numbers and it doesn't match up with his tapes.

Also, He is the guy BB picks and surprises  us all.

Having done a bit more studying I believe he’s only feasible in run defense at NFL level. I think he’d get shown up in pass coverage. Not worth a pick, for us, IMO

41 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Having done a bit more studying I believe he’s only feasible in run defense at NFL level. I think he’d get shown up in pass coverage. Not worth a pick, for us, IMO

That's the last thing we need at the LB position, 2 down player. IMO that's a signal to the offense... check check  pass.

Major weakness with the Pats defense going forward in today's NFL. You can't have Allen running  4.7 while your LBs run 1 HR 40. Let alone cover someone.

After resigning Bentley I dont think we need to worry about Leo Chanel .. he's basically a faster Bentley. They are better off keeping Bentley given how cheap he is and his veteran leadership ( he is still young too). 

The only LB's that make sense for them in this draft after the fast ones.. you've got a big guy in Bentley .. now you need the smaller guy to play with him whos going to be better in coverage / pure speed. 

• Christian Harris
  • Quay Walker
  • Troy Anderson
  • Channing Tindall 
  • Brandon Smith ( if they dont still have a grudge against Penn State) 

Outside of those guys.. i dont see a point in taking a LB because they aren't really going to have higher potential than what you've already got.

A lot of draft experts are putting CB as the guaranteed pick in the first round ( between Booth/Gordon/Elam).. with all the talk of positionless defense I wonder if BB actually devalues CB a bit with how the AFC is changing. 

With all of these high end WR's, a lot of issues teams have had is being beat deep.. BB is thinking his secondary needs: 

• You need 2 reliable outside corners over 6ft have great 10 yard splits 
  • You need an elite athlete at slot corner ( so they don't get outrun by the Isaiah Mckenzies of the world on short routes)
  • You need ELITE safeties to help everyone over the top 

He has already made a point to draft Dugger who was an elite athlete, Phillips who has been a great safety for them, and of course McCourty has been a great safety all his career. Elite safeties are dramatically cheaper than elite corners, so I wonder if he tries to go for 3-4 elite safeties in the defense, or at least 3 elite and another get depth guy. We saw this a bit with Buffalo last year, two great safeties made it so that losing White didn't end up being as big of a loss as it could have been. 

Not enough attention has been paid to safety ( especially given McCourty's age), I think BB could draft a safety before a CB with Elam being the outlier given his size/speed/man experience which BB could fall in love with. 

1. Daxton Hill: CB/S Hybrid, from Michigan .. would help all over the secondary .. 4.3 speed.. likely top 40 guy (BB must LOVE this guy). If they trade back to ~30-35 he is a great candidate.
  2. Lewis Cine: Georgia, BB saw him personally .. i'd expect them to draft at least one player from that Georgia defense.. top 50 guy. Probably have to trade up from 54 to get him. 
  3. Jalen Pitre, top 50 do it all guy. Should be there right around 54. 
  4. Kirby Joseph, top 100 guy.. was a WR .. only 1yr at FS but lots of potential.. he is a prime candidate for that 3rd round pick.. especially if they trade back and get multiple. 

The other area of emphasis being pressure up the middle, we saw it with Barmore.. you get pressure up the middle and you can cause even great QB's to make mistakes. They have a few options to help Barmore too at the top of this draft. 

1. Jordan Davis: 100% the pick at 21 if available.. would help caving the pocket..against the run game.. pass rush.. everything BB wants on defense
  2. Devonte Wyatt: Similar to Barmore as a player.. who wouldnt want 2 Barmores?? Pass rush ability inside would be nuts.. should be there at 21 imo. I think he's getting very underrated and BB could fall in love with him at 21. 
  3. Travis Jones: Tested very well.. seen as more of a run stuffer but if he can provide pass rush would be a great pick up.. probably goes 30-40

Wyatt may be seen as a luxury pick at 21.. but I wonder if that may not actually be the case. Does a Wyatt and Barmore combo help the secondary enough to warrant going DL instead of DB? I think that's going to be a big talking point in the war room, he could very easily be the BPA at 21. If you go Wyatt at 21, you then try and grab a big NT day 3 who is just there to take up blocks. 

If you use 21, I think it's probably a no brainer that they try and trade back from 54 to accumulate more picks to get to 9-10 picks total. I'm warming up to Wyatt in the 1st, Kirby Joseph in the 3rd and double dipping on athletic CB's on day 3.   

• Like 1

Here is the reason why I will go out of my mind if we take him IN THE DRAFT. Tariq Woolen, can't move, watch this and remember your watching a CB!!!!!!

They saying,   Uncanny athletic ability and a limitless ceiling for cornerback Tariq Woolen. Are they nuts.  What the heck are they watching!!!

Edited by m haynes

Looked like he was about to slip a lot .. he has explosiveness, good hands and long speed.. but I too would worry about him keeping up with quick cuts. Kind of reminds me of Diggs in Dallas, he could make a lot of big plays but also give up a bunch of big plays in return. 

Make him a safety and you could probably cover up a lot of his issues

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

You need ELITE safeties to help everyone over the top 

I mentioned previously that CB are the "new" RB.  I would not waste a early pick on a CB. I don't care if he's rated high. Your  post have taken it even further.

I agree that's the way to go. I have to look at Safeties in this draft more closely. Your Bills comment is a excellent point.

The only way to stop a NFL offense is by mistake on there part or squeeze them in the RD Zone, other than that you have no chance.

Travis Jones: Tested very well.. seen as more of a run stuffer but if he can provide pass rush would be a great pick up.. probably goes 30-40

The run stuffer only, is a thing of the past. There is many articles showing he has the physical skills to do it in the NFL. He need coaching in this area however once he learns it will be scary. The SR bowl started the change and combine confirmed it as well. You have to trust me with the articles on him to lazy to look them up!!! Also mocks are staring to show Jones as a 1st RD pick.

Does a Wyatt and Barmore combo help the secondary enough to warrant going DL instead of DB?

Heck ya by a wide margin. This is easy, there's is not a CB in the draft better than JC Jackson. The Pats secondary got smoked by Bills with JC . What will change if the rookie take JC Jackson place going forward??? Nothing, Allen has all day to throw. Take DL than LB or EDGE to create pressure in the 1st two picks.

Kirby Joseph in the 3rd and double dipping on athletic CB's on day 3.   

I would prefer Jalen Pitre however it looks like he won't be there . They are projecting middle /late 2nd.  Joseph it fine at three. I keep hearing lately, Hill from Maryland. Have to look more closely to see where they should be drafted. Don't care what expert rank them.  Screw the experts they had Travon Walker in the 2nd RD a month ago. I saw what 5minute of Y Tubes and said he was one of the best in the draft.

A lot of draft experts

Edited by m haynes

22 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Looked like he was about to slip a lot .. he has explosiveness, good hands and long speed.. but I too would worry about him keeping up with quick cuts. Kind of reminds me of Diggs in Dallas, he could make a lot of big plays but also give up a bunch of big plays in return. 

Make him a safety and you could probably cover up a lot of his issues

I don't see that. You said it, they would break his ankles. Diggs 30 yard cut to the post. He's done. Unless they play zone 99% of the time. It would have to be 2 high for it to work. However I not wasting a pick on him early 5th more likely  6th. I would use the 5th on the punter!!!