Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

44 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

What did you see on Taylor Britt? He showed more speed than i expected with his 40 and he seemed to have some solid press man abilities. He seems like a potential #2 CB that you could get in the 4th based off what I have seen. 

He's too tight. You have to see him move. He look like a body builder that can't move smoothly.  I want to say muscled bound to give you a visual.

49 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My concerns with him: 

• 4.5 40
  • 29" arms
  • under 6' tall 

I'm not sure he is big enough to be a #1 outside.. or fast enough to be a great slot .. how can you draft him in the top 50? Seems like he could be a solid #2 

You know I thought the same thing. You had to see him move, his twitch is amazing. He has perfect balance and doesn't slow down to move. I think if you catch his drill later,  you will see what I saw today.

I'm not worry about the 4.5 he plays faster.  Also Gorden ran a 4.52 and that doesn't concern me. Let say their back petal are in the 4.1s!!! Both really smooth.

• Like 1

The toughest part of the BB defense is it needs a #1 CB to be elite. 

It's super hard to envision any of those guys being able to be on an island with Diggs/Chase/etc. This reminds me more and more of the years after Asante Samuel where mediocre CB play held back the defense. Booth is the only guy i feel super comfortable saying he could turn into a #1, everyone else feels either too small or too slow. 

Drafting ones of those guys in the 1st feels too much like drafting for need that I doubt BB would do it. At 54 McCreary and Gordon are totally in play though. 

I think some of those NT / Safety prospects who are elite athletes will be higher on their draft board ( Davis / Jones / Cine /etc.) 

57 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

The toughest part of the BB defense is it needs a #1 CB to be elite. 

It's super hard to envision any of those guys being able to be on an island with Diggs/Chase/etc. This reminds me more and more of the years after Asante Samuel where mediocre CB play held back the defense. Booth is the only guy i feel super comfortable saying he could turn into a #1, everyone else feels either too small or too slow. 

Drafting ones of those guys in the 1st feels too much like drafting for need that I doubt BB would do it. At 54 McCreary and Gordon are totally in play though. 

I think some of those NT / Safety prospects who are elite athletes will be higher on their draft board ( Davis / Jones / Cine /etc.) 

No No No I'm with you, I pass on DBs other than Booth. I still want to see him in drills to see if he's worth 21. I only can go now on what I have seen on vids.  What I'm saying about the other if BB takes one, I'm fine with it but not thrilled if Jones is sitting there.

Jones is my number one target at 21 if Booth doesn't show out on PRO day. I figure Davis and Walker gone before 21.

• Like 1

woah, how are so many people in this draft insane athletes?!? 

If BB want's to add speed to this defense.. he can honestly do it at all 3 levels easily. Raw talent is throughout this entire draft, the coaching staff just needs to do what they can for them to reach their potential. 

Two defense backs I spotted at the Combine that moved well in the drills.

1. Isaac Taylor Stuart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqrAZSaCfM

2. Cordale Flott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tegzrkx8SPI

Comments on two stars

1.Ahmad Gardner 

He has that quick twitch however he is sloppy and herky- jerky to say the lease. Still have big questions with him at the next level. He might have a hard time unless he can jam them at the LOS.  I don't see a elite CB.

2. Daxton Hill

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 FT pole. Maybe in the box but I'm not sure if he could cover inside. Day 3 talent. You can see him on tape below as well.

@Crimmage  He's where you can see Trent McDuffie and Roger McCreary.  There movement is what set them apart, IMO. I don't care about anything else other than production in college and how they move at CB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEplZXojhQ

• Like 1

Results from my PFF mock draft simulator..

Rd. 1, pick 21:

Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson

Rd. 2, pick 53:

Quay Walker, LB, Georgia

Rd. 3, pick 85:

John Metchie III, WR, Alabama

Rd. 4, pick 123:

Luke Goedeke, OT, CMU

Rd. 6, pick 198:

Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State

209: traded for picks 221 & 237

Rd. 7, pick 221:

Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami

237:

Dominique Robinson, EDGE, Miami (Ohio)

I don’t think ANY of these players fall that far, but I’d be stoked coming away with this..

• Like 2

My current draft board for the Pats, I'll group guys in tiers including where I believe BB would draft them and make my personal favorites bold. 

Outside WR:

Chris Olave (RD2) <- Never going to happen but I think BB would jump on him if he fell in the draft

Christian Watson (RD2) <- Has all the makings of a #1 WR, can clear out space day 1 and give Mac a deep threat

Alec Pierce (RD3/4)

Z/Slot WR: 

John Metchie (RD 2/3) <- My favorite only because of his experience with Mac and ready for training camp

Skyy Moore (RD2) <- Best slot in the draft 

Wan'Dale Robinson (RD2) <- Best slot if you have a creative OC to use him in a variety of ways 

Bo Melton (RD6) <- Vertical Slot option, limited route tree, terrible college QB, FAST .. high upside

Slade Bolden (RD6/UDFA) <- Only include him due to Mac connection.. don't think he will ever be as good as any of the above

OT: 

Obinna Eze (RD4/5): Huge and athletic

Zach Tom (RD4/5): Took over for Herron, tested very well athletically.. great developmental guy

Tyler Vrabel (RD6-UDFA): Mike Vrabels kid

IOL: 

Alec Lindstrom (RD4/5) 

Jason Poe (RD6-UDFA)

QB: 

EJ Perry (RD6-UDFA): If BB wants his own Taysom Hill, I could see him going in this direction 

TE: 

Connor Heyward(RD6-UDFA): He seems to be what the Patriots wanted Dalton Keene to be.. can be a receiving FB

DL: 

Travis Jones (RD2): help in the run game and has some pass rush abilities 

Marquan McCall (RD4-6): Value NT, just a guy to eat up blockers but still helps a need

Josh Pascal (RD3-4): Can be used all over the front 7, jack of all trades.. master of none 

LB: 

Quay Walker (RD2): Perfect Fit, my #1 LB for the Pats

Chad Muma (RD2): tackle machine and tested much better than I expected

Leo Chanel (RD2): Faster Bentley, only interested if part of a double dip .. need someone with more coverage ability

Christian Harris (RD2): Small but may still be interested based off pure talent 

Troy Anderson (RD3/4): Perfect patriot, athletic and can be everything the team is missing.. great option to pair with a bigger LB to be a run stopper 

Brandon Smith ( RD2): Athletic but raw.. if they want to develop him he can end up as a pro bowl LB 

Darrian Beavers (RD3): Tested smaller but more athletic than expected, seems very much like a guy who lost weight to hopefully run faster at the combine

DB: 

Andrew Booth Jr (RD1): #1 CB Potential

Kaiir Elam (RD2): Great straight line speed, not twitchy .. have to put him in a position to succeed 

Daxton Hill (RD2): Can play corner and safety.. reminds me of Devin McCourty

Roger McCreary (RD2): I project him to be a great #2 CB, really smooth.. small but good CB

Tariq Woolen (RD2/3): Has all the tools to play CB, was a WR, I think BB would actually have him glued to McCourty's hip as his future replacement 

Jalyn armour-davis (RD2/3): Tested very well, has potential, can see him jumping up draft boards  

Kyler Gordon (RD3): Smaller CB and slower than expected.. think this will drop him down their board a good amount

Cam Taylor-Britt (RD4) Bigger Press-man CB, not twitchy but a poor mans Elam

Josh Jobe (RD4): Alabama Connection.. man experience.. CB2/3 potential 

Alontae Taylor (RD3/4): Tested well, man experience.. could see time at CB or Safety

Zyon McCollum (RD4/6): Insane combine, man experience .. perfect developmental guy

Punter: 

Matt Araiza (RD5): Almost feels like a guarantee that this guy gets drafted by the Pats

Here's my offensive draft board.  Players I like and what RD. I like all these players. Bold are the ones I really like. AT THIS TIME!!!! 

RB
Ty Chandler NC --------------6/7
Zonovan Knight NC State -----6/7
Max Borghi  washington ST  ---- 7
Tyler Goodson  Iowa ----------- 6/7

FB
Connor Heyward Michigan State -- 7

QB
Desmond Ridder Cincinnati ------ 1/2
EJ Perry Brown    ----------------- 7/FA
Sam Howell  North Carolina -------- 1

TE
Trey McBride  Colorado State ------ 3
jake ferguson Wisconsin ------  5/6

WR
Garrett Wilson  Ohio State ------- 1
Jameson Williams  Alabama ------1
Christian Watson  North Dakota State --- 2
Skyy Moore  Western Michigan ----- 2
John Metchie III  Alabama ------ 2
Jalen Tolbert  South Alabama ----2/3
Alec Pierce Cincinnati ---------- 3
Wan'Dale Robinson  Kentucky ---- 3
Britain Covey Utah -------------- 6/7
Chris Autman-Bell  MN Gophers ---- 7
Justyn Ross Clemson  ------- 5/6
Calvin Austin III Memphis  ---- 6/7

OL
Kenyon Green Texas A&M -------- 1
Zion Johnson  Boston College ----- 1
Trevor Penning  Northern Iowa ----- 1/2
Jamaree Salyer  Georgia ------ 5/6
Max Mitchell  UL-Lafayette ----- 4/5
Tyler Smith  Tulsa --------------- 3/4
Bernhard Raimann  Central Michigan ---- 2/3
Abraham Lucas washington state  ------ 5/6
Marquis Hayes oklahoma ------   5/6
Ben Petrula BC  --------- 5/6
Ben Brown  Ole Miss  -----  6/7
Cole Strange Chattanooga  --- 6/7

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, m haynes said:

John Metchie III  Alabama ------ 2

I really wonder about if Metchie is going to be a 2nd rounder anymore, it feels like so many guys boosted their stock at the combine that he may fall into the 3rd because he didn't test athletically. I don't think he's an insane athlete either. Metchie feels a lot like Barmore right now.. falls a round later than expected then BB trades up to get him. In the 3rd, Metchie would be an absolute steal. 

Speaking of athletic profile.. I've seen a bit of his tape but NEVER would have guessed Chenal would test this well..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I really wonder about if Metchie is going to be a 2nd rounder anymore, it feels like so many guys boosted their stock at the combine that he may fall into the 3rd because he didn't test athletically. I don't think he's an insane athlete either. Metchie feels a lot like Barmore right now.. falls a round later than expected then BB trades up to get him. In the 3rd, Metchie would be an absolute steal. 

Speaking of athletic profile.. I've seen a bit of his tape but NEVER would have guessed Chenal would test this well..

This is what I see, seriously, when I watch his tape Waterboy Tackle GIFs | Tenor

My Defensive list Favorites in BOLD

Jordan Davis DL Georgia ---- 1
Logan Hall DL/EDGE Houston --- 1/2    

Travis Jones UConn DT ------1/2

Neil Farrell  LSU | DE ------- 5/6

John Ridgeway, NT  Illinois State ---- 7

Devonte Wyatt DT  Georgia ----- 1/2

---------------------------------------------

Darrian Beavers  LB  UC  ------------4

Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State ----2/3

Kyron Johnson Kansas LB------------- 6/7

Mike Rose Iowa State LB ---------- 7