Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

16 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

I really like this guy. Tough to predict where he’ll get drafted. I’ve seen top 15 some places, and i’ve seen early round 2 some places

Phil Perry has Pats taking Johnson in his recent Mock Draft. Something about picking Johnson bothers me and I'm not sure why. Here are some thing that are rattling in my head.

1. You pick him at 21. You are confirming what I believe and that is, Perkins, Jennings and Uche are bust. I don't buy into the Pats are complicated and it takes time crap. A player picked that high should see the field. We get every excuse in the world why they are not playing, which is BS.

2.  Why did this guy transfer from Georgia. They claim he couldn't break the starting lineup. You can't make the staring lineup on a college team and know you are a 1st RD pick. Yes I understand its UG but we are talking 1st RD in the NFL.

3. He was never considered a 1st RD pick until the SR Bowl. I have big concerns when this happen. One week means more than game tape ???

4. Florida State    Level of competition. This relates to comment 2 and 3.  Conference and players is a big part for me, in the draft process.

Finally I'm not saying he's not worth a 1st RD pick but I have concerns. Players the Pats took that I had concerns with in previous drafts. Dugger and Soulder. They each  both worked out just fine.

Great article on Travis Jones with links to other articles .

Travis Jones is my choice for the Pats 1st RD pick. 

I take him over any other player that is projected at 21. 

https://www.si.com/college/uconn/football/football-travis-jones-shows-out-at-combine

PS

Davis is the only other player I would take over him at 21.  Davis falls to 21 it mean we have a lot of idiots playing GM in the NFL!!

Edited by m haynes

No thanks on Johnson.. especially not in the first round. I would rather have so many guys over him at 21.. but most of all would want to trade back and get as many picks as possible. 

• Andrew Booth
  • Devonte Wyatt
  • Jordan Davis
  • Lewis Cine
  • Kaiir Elam 
  • Chris Olave
  • Jameson Williams
  • Daxton Hill 
  • Travis Jones

The list goes on and on.. I wouldn't even want to spend 21 on some of those guys above but I would certainly rather them over Johnson. 

I'm also not out on Perkins, I think he is going to surprise some people this year as a pass rusher. 

Jennings I'll also agree is probably a bust but I think Uche can be useful too.. I think if he can stay healthy he can be used in a variety of ways. 

I tried to be realistic with my 1st "serious" Mock Draft. I was looking for trades however they weren't worth it to make, but one in the 1st RD. Used PFN simulator. 

Traded to Green Bay

Pick 21 for 28  and 59

Here's my draft. What I think they should do combined with WHAT they will do.  EX  I would not pick Chenal.

• 28     Travis Jones
  • 54     Chistian Watson
  • 59     Roger McCreary
  • 85     Troy Anderson
  • 126    Leo Chenal
  • 209   Matt Araiza                    

Also  I think Araiza won't be there at 209 and the Pats will make some trade at some point and pick him higher in the draft.

ADDED Here is a list of players that I could of picked based on my draft.

28 Kaiir Elam,  linderbaum, Mafe,  Ebiketie, Burks, Mcduffie.

54 Pickens, Moore Tolbert
59 Gorden, Muma and B Smith
85 Quay Walker, Coby Bryant, Skyy Moore, Alec Lindstrom
126 Cam Taylor-Britt, Calvin Austin III, Josh Jobe
209  Nick Cross, Britain Covey, Slade Bolden, Isaac Taylor-Stuart,

Edited by m haynes

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Here's my draft. What I think they should do combined with WHAT they will do.  EX  I would not pick Chenal.

• 28     Travis Jones
  • 54     Chistian Watson
  • 59     Roger McCreary
  • 85     Troy Anderson
  • 126    Leo Chenal
  • 209   Matt Araiza                    

Also  I think Araiza won't be there at 209 and the Pats will make some trade at some point and pick him higher in the draft.

ADDED Here is a list of players that I could of picked based on my draft.

28 Kaiir Elam,  linderbaum, Mafe,  Ebiketie, Burks, Mcduffie.

54 Pickens, Moore Tolbert
59 Gorden, Muma and B Smith
85 Quay Walker, Coby Bryant, Skyy Moore, Alec Lindstrom
126 Cam Taylor-Britt, Calvin Austin III, Josh Jobe
209  Nick Cross, Britain Covey, Slade Bolden, Isaac Taylor-Stuart,

Really fun exercise, especially knowing who else was on the board at the time. 

• 28: I can understand taking Jones here.. but I don't think BB would see the value in taking him in the 1st round. I would imagine at at 28 if BB wants to take Jones he would trade back another 10 picks.. grab another pick along the way and take him in the 30's. If I had to take someone in this spot I would think that they would take Elam because of the need at CB but I'd be totally fine with the Jones pick.  
  • 54: I love this pick, I honestly think he is everything the Patriots need on the outside and he is agile enough to be used all over the place. He was even used in the backfield.. he doesn't have a huge route tree but he could be successful day 1 running a few routes then by year 2 be all over the formation. 
  • 59: I like him as a player but I don't think he will be there. I don't like him in the first but at 59 he would be insane value. 
  • 85: I would have taken Quay Walker here (who I also think will be gone by the end of Round 2) , BB loves Georgia and that defense was amazing.. I think he will def want to come away with at least one of their players
  • 126: Leo Chenal will be long gone.. i think  all of the top guys will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.. with Troy Anderson being the only guy who makes it into the 3rd.. maybe Beavers too. I think the Patriots will really like Taylor-Britt too 
  • 209: I agree that Araiza will be gone, I fully expect BB to perform multiple trades and use a late 4th / early 5th on him. Bolden is a prime UDFA / 7th rounder if they got one

Overall fun draft, I would be very happy with that draft 

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I don't think BB would see the value in taking him in the 1st round.

It funny you made that comment. It brings me to the vid when Pats took  Mac Jones.  It looked like BB was hesitating. I wonder if he wanted Barmore or Mills at 15 or Barmore  at 15 and trade up for Mills, Maybe BB took the advice of the scouts for a change!!!

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I would have taken Quay Walker

That's where the draft is difficult because I like Walker as well.  I always take into acct  what college and schedule the prospect played.

I picked Anderson because IMO he's going kill it in the NFL but mostly its goes back to my statement " what, BB will do making this pick.  I call it BB "smartest in the room pick!!!" and passes on the obvious choice Walker. It the 2022 Dugger pick. Remember there were 4 AA prospects available when he chose Dugger. Also, just remember Cole Met was on the board and he passed!!!

PS  Trading was difficult becasue most of them were for picks in 2023 which I could care less at this point. We need picks this year.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

After Easley, Brown, Cyrus, Michel, Harry etc, I’ve given up guessing our first pick of a draft

i can only think of one pick recently which we made where everyone expected it or they thought it made sense: Winovich. (Regardless of position). Possibly Wynn too

every year this is a ‘Pats type player’ that we are linked with who we don’t pick. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

I wonder how severe this surgery / injury is. As far as I know he hasn't tested at all.. which could hurt his draft stock a bit. He seems to have fallen under the radar throughout the entire draft process to be honest. 

Not testing at all could push him down the board a bit.. the real question there would be if BB were confident enough to gamble that he would be there later than 21. 

The biggest concern there is how many teams after 21 could use a corner like Booth: 

• Vegas ( if BB likes Booth, Zeigler is going to like Booth) 
  • Arizona 
  • Buffalo could after losing Levi 
  • Kansas City 

Would have to imagine that Booth would be selected by one of them.. unless he has some major concerns

33 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I wonder how severe this surgery / injury is. As far as I know he hasn't tested at all.. which could hurt his draft stock a bit. He seems to have fallen under the radar throughout the entire draft process to be honest. 

Not testing at all could push him down the board a bit.. the real question there would be if BB were confident enough to gamble that he would be there later than 21. 

The biggest concern there is how many teams after 21 could use a corner like Booth: 

• Vegas ( if BB likes Booth, Zeigler is going to like Booth) 
  • Arizona 
  • Buffalo could after losing Levi 
  • Kansas City 

Would have to imagine that Booth would be selected by one of them.. unless he has some major concerns

As you know he was one of my favorites at 21. That is no longer the case.

This kid has a injury history all the way back to high school. IMO he's injury prone and I would not waste a 1st RD pick on him.

Last thing I want to see is "several nagging injuries" , it send warning signals about the players body makeup, preparation, desire to work or  play through discomfort.  Parcells said it about Terry Glenn. "Terry Glenn a "she" due to an injury in training camp that kept him from practicing." Classic.

This might be good for the Pats, another team wants him, trade out of 21st pick. To many teams have been burned taking players with a injury history.

Andrew Booth to require surgery in postseason

Clemson cornerback Booth adds yoga to workout schedule | The State

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2022/03/15/will-booth-participate-in-clemsons-pro-day/

As @Hunter2_1 said  " we need to reset the Dartboard' Damn!!!

Edited by m haynes

Off the top of your head, who are some of the first rounders we've drafted with an injury history of any degree?

Easley, Wynn, Michel, Hightower, Maroney...

He does not mind drafting injury prone players or players with injury history at all. I wouldn't discount Booth

Edited by Hunter2_1

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Off the top of your head, who are some of the first rounders we've drafted with an injury history of any degree?

Easley, Wynn, Michel, Hightower, Maroney...

He does not mind drafting injury prone players or players with injury history at all. I wouldn't discount Booth

I think you hit most. I don't remember Maroney.  There are debates on one player that IMO was a player with a injury history some say different, Raz Dowling ,  boy did I hate that pick, to this day its stills drive me crazy.

Also I assumed BB gambled on those players. He had Brady there real close to SB and he figures calculated gamble bring another SB.

IMO He can't take a chance now. Different circumstances.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I think you hit most. I don't remember Maroney.  There are debates on one player that IMO was a player with a injury history some say different, Raz Dowling ,  boy did I hate that pick, to this day its stills drive me crazy.

Also I assumed BB gambled on those players. He had Brady there real close to SB and he figures calculated gamble bring another SB.

IMO He can't take a chance now. Different circumstances.

Shocking pick.

As a coach, he has all the credit in the world in the bank. As a drafter, he had a good draft last year, but he still has a lot of making up to do lol. Cyrus, Richards, Bethel, Jackson, Dobson, Kenyatta, Whatley....

Triggered yet? :D 

• Like 1

Really have to wonder where Austin gets picked .. if he was 15 pounds heavier he's probably a top 50 guy. Being only 170 id imagine he is a 4th rounder? Getting that kind of speed is nuts though, especially with the elite 3 cone as well. He's certainly a WR I would keep an eye out for.. 

The Patriots seem to have made a point of emphasis for finding a big outside guy, but have always had a small agile guy too.. it feels like it makes too much sense to double dip this draft to get one of each ( assuming they trade back and get more picks). 

Big Guys: 

Christian Watson 6'5 / George Pickens 6'3 / Alec Pierce 6'3 / Romeo Doubs 6'2 / Tyquan Thorton 6'3 

-> Christian Watson will probably be the favorite but I could see Pickens because Georgia or Alec Pierce if Watson flys up charts

-> I wouldn't sleep on Tyquan Thorton on day 3 ... he is big and insanely fast.. if they are mainly looking for a guy to create space and give big play opportunities outside, he presents insane value on day 3

Shorter Guys:

Skyy Moore / John Metchie / Calvin Austin / Wan'Dale Robinson / Bo Melton / Slade Bolden

-> Austin in the 4th is super interesting to me because of his speed to be used all over the field 

-> Bo Melton in the 6th is speed and a vertical slot element similar to Austin 

-> Slade Bolden seems like a foregone conclusion to end up on the team as a late day 3 or UDFA .. i think he should be a UDFA but someone may draft him in the 6th/7th as a flyer just to keep him from the Patriots

I know it sounds crazy but I would honestly try to get 3 WR if the right guys are there: 1 X, 1 vertical slot, and Bolden as the more traditional slot. 

My ultra value mock would be: 

5th: Tyquan Thorton ( X / Big Play Ability / Clear Space / Gadget Plays)

6th: Bo Melton (Vertical Slot / Gadget Plays)

7th: Slade Bolden ( Ol Reliable Slot / Jacoby Meyers Replacement / Gunnar Replacement)