Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

I think Hayward will be a much better pro than he was college player.

When MSU tried to use him more as a RB, he wasn’t very successful and the offense had a rough time moving the ball (not all on him, my Spartans were garbage almost his whole tenure)

He really is a “gadget” type player though. Tremendous blocker, too.

4.73 on his first 40…

Asiasi had a 4.73 and Keene had a 4.72 for reference 

25 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

My guy Skyy Moore tested pretty damn well. Don't think he's going to make it out of the second round.

I'm kind of rooting for a trade back and adding more picks in a depth type draft.

Unless they can get a top flight receiver who fell, I agree with trade back city B. 

Has anyone watched Bo Melton extensively? 

He's a slot guy, not sure if he can play outside too?

I know he's mentioned as having special teams value.. punt return? kick return? gunner? I've got to check him out .. he's probably a Patriot lol 

40: 4.34

3 Cone: 6.98 (2nd fastest)

2 year captain

I'm loving Christian Watson's potential.. people say he has some drop issues but he honestly looks like Mike Evans, he would be amazing in this offense. Amazing how he has gone from day 3 to 2nd round in all liklihood. 

Unless you're taking a top tier CB.. I think you've got to trade back ( hopefully someone falls in love with a QB and overpays). You can grab a great WR in the 2nd then load up on some day 3 picks to take flyers on guys like Melton/Bolden/etc. 

Edited by Crimmage

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

watched Bo Melton extensively

I watched quite a few vids on him. He might have the physical skills  doesn't translate on the field. He look, IMO lost on the field and doesn't have what I call Football brain.  I remember the SR Bowl and thinking what the heck (Melton) are you doing.  I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

Notre Dame WR Kevin Austin

The numbers shocked me based on vids I watched. I thought he was ok but struggle to get separation which is a killer to me concerning WRs.  3 cone  shocks me .

If the reports are true about BB letting JC walk without trying to tag and trade.. I don't see how you cant be double dipping at corner in this draft... begging for Booth to be there at 21. 

Really hard when you need to double dip at CB/LB/WR .. with only 6 picks and a bunch of need positions. 

I really thought they could easily get at least a 2nd rounder.. if not 1st or more for JC, if they don't even try to do so.. that seems baffling to me

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I watched quite a few vids on him. He might have the physical skills  doesn't translate on the field. He look, IMO lost on the field and doesn't have what I call Football brain.  I remember the SR Bowl and thinking what the heck (Melton) are you doing.  I wouldn't waste a pick on him.

I'll admit that I have only seen highlights.. but it seems like he was hurt a lot by terrible QB play. If his coach gives him a good recommendation I wouldn't be surprised if BB pulls the trigger on him in the 6th. He's not small either.. I think with some time he could be used all over the formation.. running a 4.3 he could even be used in a similar way to Agholor on the outside to create space for other guys in the middle of the field. He certainly isn't a full time X but I really like the idea of having a bunch of WR's who can move all over the formation like Bourne can. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if BB drafted both Melton and Bolden in the 6th. They are very different players and they could compliment each other very well. You can imagine Melton doing more deep routes / clearing space while Bolden is underneath getting those quick 5 yard passes that he hopefully can develop a little YAC with. 

As much as it is fun to talk WR.. without JC/Hightower/Bentley .. and potentially KVN gone too.. this team really needs 2 CB and 2 LB. It's feeling more and more likely that a WR is a late day 2 / day 3 pick. 

Two guys who could be available in the 3rd though: 

• Alec Pierce, tested really well and would be a possibility to replace Agholor
  • Metchie.. with so many receivers doing so well at the combine.. maybe that pushes more and more guys ahead of Metchie. If you can get him in the 3rd round that's a huge win. I would be totally fine with drafting Metchie in the 3rd and Bolden in the 6th going full Alabama mode. Metchie won't be a #1 but he's going to be a good player. 

Right now we really need to hope for Booth to be there at 21 or finding some gems late round / free agency

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, Crimmage said:

I'll admit that I have only seen highlights.. but it seems like he was hurt a lot by terrible QB play. If his coach gives him a good recommendation I wouldn't be surprised if BB pulls the trigger on him in the 6th. He's not small either.. I think with some time he could be used all over the formation.. running a 4.3 he could even be used in a similar way to Agholor on the outside to create space for other guys in the middle of the field. He certainly isn't a full time X but I really like the idea of having a bunch of WR's who can move all over the formation like Bourne can. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if BB drafted both Melton and Bolden in the 6th. They are very different players and they could compliment each other very well. You can imagine Melton doing more deep routes / clearing space while Bolden is underneath getting those quick 5 yard passes that he hopefully can develop a little YAC with. 

As much as it is fun to talk WR.. without JC/Hightower/Bentley .. and potentially KVN gone too.. this team really needs 2 CB and 2 LB. It's feeling more and more likely that a WR is a late day 2 / day 3 pick. 

Two guys who could be available in the 3rd though: 

• Alec Pierce, tested really well and would be a possibility to replace Agholor
  • Metchie.. with so many receivers doing so well at the combine.. maybe that pushes more and more guys ahead of Metchie. If you can get him in the 3rd round that's a huge win. I would be totally fine with drafting Metchie in the 3rd and Bolden in the 6th going full Alabama mode. Metchie won't be a #1 but he's going to be a good player. 

Right now we really need to hope for Booth to be there at 21 or finding some gems late round / free agency

BB is a pain in the ask!!! I see him going 2 ways in the draft.  He picks no WR where everyone says it major priority. He did it before.

Next with the 21 pick Pats take Jamerson, 54 Mitchie and on the 3rd day takes Bolden !!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a comment stuck in my head made by Mike Lombardi a while back. He said , when it comes to a new WR group BB evaluates the unit the 1st year and on the second incorporates the system based on the 1st yr results.  IE.   I expect no WRs til the 3rd day or none at all.

Edited by m haynes

Another thing to take into account for the first pick.. if a top end CB isn't available.. BB could go hard into pass rush. 

Having Judon, Barmore and another high end player rushing the passer could really help out a young secondary 

• Like 1