Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

21 hours ago, m haynes said:

BB is a pain in the ask!!! I see him going 2 ways in the draft.  He picks no WR where everyone says it major priority. He did it before.

Next with the 21 pick Pats take Jamerson, 54 Mitchie and on the 3rd day takes Bolden !!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a comment stuck in my head made by Mike Lombardi a while back. He said , when it comes to a new WR group BB evaluates the unit the 1st year and on the second incorporates the system based on the 1st yr results.  IE.   I expect no WRs til the 3rd day or none at all.

Yes, agreed.

Double dips at CB and LB. WR will be skimmed over this year. It's a shame, because with a speedy YAC guy or something, Mac could develop a relationship with him, but....we NEED CB and LB 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yes, agreed.

Double dips at CB and LB. WR will be skimmed over this year. It's a shame, because with a speedy YAC guy or something, Mac could develop a relationship with him, but....we NEED CB and LB 

I'm not sure double dips will be possible at both positions tbo, or even be the best option. If you can get a NT like Travis Jones, it will make all of the LB better for instance. I'd rather get 1 NT and 1 LB and make the coaching staff use the young guys they have this season. 

The combine was very good to most of the LB's that the Patriots would be drafting.. almost all of them are now in the 2nd/3rd round range. If you want a LB.. it's going to need to be at 53

• Christian Harris
  • Leo Chenal
  • Chad Muma
  • Brandon Smith
  • Darrian Beaver
  • Quay Wallker
  • Troy Anderson 

The odds of one of them making it to 85 is slim. The run on LB will be between 30-80 .. we could see 8-10 go in that range imo.. they all tested so well that they are going to get drafted between rounds 2 and the beginning of the 3rd. Troy Anderson may be there later because he is a small school guy.. but after his combine and senior bowl.. i think he's going to fly up the draft boards to being a late 2nd/early 3rd guy now. 

For CB.. the issue is depth, you've got some guys at the top but then I don't see many people with starter potential. If your drafting someone without a high ceiling you might as well sign a vet free agent. I really want to trade back in the first to try and accumulate as many 2nd/3rd rounders .. but if JC is gone and Booth is there at 21, you don't have a choice.. you HAVE to take Booth. Unless BB sees some guys that he loves in the 2nd/3rd.. I'm not incredibly excited about double dipping at CB in this draft, I'd rather see what Wade can do and draft a FS instead of a second corner. 

If the Patriots trade back.. maybe BB goes full project and drafts Tariq Woolen, but after the combine he could also be a 2nd/early 3rd round pick. 

Ok  First thing first. NFL ruined the combine. They turn it into a TV (soap) show. Anyone watching this is a hardcore draft fan nothing more. Who gives a crap about anything but what is going on in the field!! WOW look at the kids in the stands!!!! whoop pee !!!!!! Show the damn players.  Get rid of the 100 personalities covering the event.

It was so bad I turned the channel. I will watch the recordings later.

Here is what I did see.

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux --  is a dog, the reports on him are true. He quit. Big Willie embarrassed himself defending him. He that guy that you draft maybe see a glimpse here and there but overall he will be a huge disappointment. If he falls to 21 its a HARD PASS!!

2. Travis Jones --   I have said from the get go that he's a 1st RD talent. I'm not sure he even makes it to the 21st pick. Every year we all scratch our heads ... what an idiot these GMs are, think NYG!!! Pass on him in the 1st and your fans will look down the road and say " how the heck did we pass on him"

3. Walker ---- I knew he was going to end up in the top ten picks

4.  Treylon Burks  --- Thank God we have combines. He's not a 1st RD talent. His performance was average at best. It just me but,  I look at players mannerisms in relation to (love) football and he showed none. Gave off the vibe " I don't love football its just a job" !!!!

5. Jahan Dotson --- Disappointment, same its just a job !!!! His speed is not elite and with his size that's a must !!! 4.43 40-yard dash, 3 Cone Drill 7.28. Hard pass in the 1st RD.

6. Devin Lloyd  ----  You have to be kidding me. I said he was a college star and he would not play to his hype. Combine confirmed it. He's a 2nd RD talent. A hard pass if I'm picking for the Pat's. He's off my board.

7. Boye Mafe --- Raw but he will fly up the board with his work out. Impressive. Don't be suprized if he's picked at 21 by the Pats.

8. Devonte Wyatt  -- Another player that will fly up the board. Head scratcher when SO call experts had him in the 2/3 RDs. He was awesome at the combine numbers were sick!!

9.  Troy Anderson ---pissed now everyone knows. He killed it, damn he's going to be a star in the NFL. One of my favorite in the draft. Watch his vid game tapes man among boys. 44.2 40T at 243 lbs!!!! His movement is incredible for a LB.

10. Logan Hall-- Impressive combine. Perfect fit for the Pats defensive system. 

Last but not least  Jordan Davis

Everyone by know has heard the results put up by Jordan Davis. Just WOW. Boy did I misjudge this one. I will tell you one reason why I'm doing a "720" on him.  The major reason I didn't like him was he was over weight and I question his desire to play the game, especially when he got paid. 

My opinion change, not for his incredible numbers but what he did after he finished. He stayed hours after, waiting for all his teammate to finished. That showed me everything about his character and the love he has for the guys he plays with. You can count him to there Well if I'm drafting he goes in the Top 10 easily!!!

Edited by m haynes

38 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I'm not sure double dips will be possible at both positions tbo, or even be the best option

Crimmage  your to logical when it comes to BB! 🤣 It wouldn't suprise me in the least. He the definition of a  "head scratcher".

Pats take Jones in the 1st and Logan Hall in the 2nd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the fudge!!!!

Just ex. Hall long gone at 54.

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Crimmage  your to logical when it comes to BB! 🤣 It wouldn't suprise me in the least. He the definition of a  "head scratcher".

Pats take Jones in the 1st and Logan Hall in the 2nd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the fudge!!!!

Just ex. Hall long gone at 54.

Jones at 21 is turning into a very possible outcome. I think he would be great in NE too.. he would make everyone elses life easier and Gaudchaux would be able to play more DE and do better imo. You called that one at the Senior Bowl.. I fully believed him to be the plan at 54. 

The biggest thing though.. is likely needing to resign ourselves to WR not being the play in the first few rounds. Christian Watson seemed like the guy.. small school.. 4th rounder with huge upside.. but after the combine he is likely a top 50 pick so I don't see BB drafting him anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux --  is a dog, the reports on him are true. He quit. Big Willie embarrassed himself defending him. He that guy that you draft maybe see a glimpse here and there but overall he will be a huge disappointment. If he falls to 21 its a HARD PASS!!

I haven't watched him tbo, knowing he would be long gone before 21. Here's hoping you are right and the Jets take him. The Jets having so many day 1/2 picks scares me a bit.. I'm really liking this draft first 3 rounds so this is an opportunity for them to get dramatically better. I also liked their draft last year, so assuming Wilson makes progress they could get pretty good, quickly. 

2. Travis Jones --   I have said from the get go that he's a 1st RD talent. I'm not sure he even makes it to the 21st pick. Every year we all scratch our heads ... what an idiot these GMs are, think NYG!!! Pass on him in the 1st and your fans will look down the road and say " how the heck did we pass on him"

Jones is awesome.. he would honestly make the entire defense better. Imagine him and Barmore next to one another .. all of the defense would get dramatically better with him here. Especially with young LB's, having him up front taking on blockers would make life 10x easier for them. 

3. Walker ---- I knew he was going to end up in the top ten picks

Agreed

4.  Treylon Burks  --- Thank God we have combines. He's not a 1st RD talent. His performance was average at best. It just me but,  I look at players mannerisms in relation to (love) football and he showed none. Gave off the vibe " I don't love football its just a job" !!!!

Stay away Pats.. but I do believe another team could do good things with him.. just don't trust the Patriots. I still hope he is a 1st round pick just so that someone else will fall to the Pats. 

5. Jahan Dotson --- Disappointment, same its just a job !!!! His speed is not elite and with his size that's a must !!! 4.43 40-yard dash, 3 Cone Drill 7.28. Hard pass in the 1st RD.

Wasn't a fan, Wan'Dale Robinson seemed better all around. I think he will be a bust tbo

6. Devin Lloyd  ----  You have to be kidding me. I said he was a college star and he would not play to his hype. Combine confirmed it. He's a 2nd RD talent. A hard pass if I'm picking for the Pat's. He's off my board.

He looks faster on tape.. but given the depth in this class, if he is there at 21 I would use that to trade back with a team that wants him

7. Boye Mafe --- Raw but he will fly up the board with his work out. Impressive. Don't be suprized if he's picked at 21 by the Pats.

Going to be interesting to see where he goes

8. Devonte Wyatt  -- Another player that will fly up the board. Head scratcher when SO call experts had him in the 2/3 RDs. He was awesome at the combine numbers were sick!!

I'm told he is redundant with Barmore.. but I can't help but imagine Barmore, Jones and Wyatt on the same line. That's a huge investment in the DL.. but back in the day BB put huge draft picks into the DL too. Can Barmore, Jones and Wyatt become the new Seymroe, Wilfork, Warren?? 

9.  Troy Anderson ---pissed now everyone knows. He killed it, damn he's going to be a star in the NFL. One of my favorite in the draft. Watch his vid game tapes man among boys. 44.2 40T at 243 lbs!!!! His movement is incredible for a LB.

He could go in the 2nd round now tbo.. I would be totally fine with him being the Pats only pick at LB. He has all the athleticism that fans are looking for and he's played every position on the team so he's got to be incredibly smart. 

10. Logan Hall-- Impressive combine. Perfect fit for the Pats defensive system. 

DT has so many options .. I would be very surprised if BB doesn't grab one this draft. 

Last but not least  Jordan Davis

Everyone by know has heard the results put up by Jordan Davis. Just WOW. Boy did I misjudge this one. I will tell you one reason why I'm doing a "720" on him.  The major reason I didn't like him was he was over weight and I question his desire to play the game, especially when he got paid. 

He is amazing.. generational talent. less than 5% chance he is there at 21, but if he is.. BB 100% takes him. He's another guy that totally changes the defense. He can greatly improve the run defense and add additional pass rush next to Barmore. 

Another guy you can add is Josh Pascal from Kentucky, he tested much better than expected. I was thinking he could be a great 4th round pick for the Pats but not sure he will be there anymore. 

As of this moment.. for me it is: 

• Jordan Davis
  • Andrew Booth Jr. 
  • Mayyybe Devonte Wyatt 

or trade back ( Potential QB Trades .. Lions 32 & 34 or Atlanta 40&58)

28 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Josh Pascal from Kentucky

Forgot about him. I kept saying who is this guy. Also some kid Tim Rose LB. They popped on screen.

29 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

As of this moment.. for me it is: 

• Jordan Davis
  • Andrew Booth Jr. 
  • Mayyybe Devonte Wyatt 

For me its

• Davis ---  (pipe dream)
  • Booth/ Gardner-------- Don't know who will fall. IMO they should be gone at 21, but we all know GMs are stupid. See Love, Lance and (Willis. This years draft)
  • Travis Jones  --- not there at 21 than Wyatt.

41 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Forgot about him. I kept saying who is this guy. Also some kid Tim Rose LB. They popped on screen.

For me its

• Davis ---  (pipe dream)
  • Booth/ Gardner-------- Don't know who will fall. IMO they should be gone at 21, but we all know GMs are stupid. See Love, Lance and (Willis. This years draft)
  • Travis Jones  --- not there at 21 than Wyatt.

As much as I love Jones, I still think you can get him in the 30's .. and if you miss out on him you can get Logan Hall. Pats look at players in bunches and I think those two will grade out similar, so if both are on the board they will still try to trade back. 

Do we know how Phidarian Mathis / Marquan McCall tested? I haven't seen anything on either guy.. and if they did well that could be further point that BB doesn't go NT in the 1st. All four of those guys could be NT options for the Pats.

I felt that Booth would be there.. but I have a feeling now that he could be gone ( Gardner top 10) because McDuffie is smaller than expected. My issue with McDuffie and McCreary is that they both have small wingspans .. so maybe they can play a bit on the outside but they are probably better off in the slot. 

Without Booth.. I think I take the gamble on Tariq Woolen in the 2nd .. and get a high floor, low ceiling guy like Jobe in the 3rd ( Assuming you trade out of the 1st and get 4-6 picks on day 2) 

I also have a strange feeling that if BB can keep trading back and accumulating late picks... he could draft EJ Perry. He tested very well at the combine and seems like he would be a Taysom Hill type which BB has hinted at liking in the past. 

Edited by Crimmage

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I think I take the gamble on Tariq Woolen in the 2nd .

@CrimmageWell our guy just made himself some money. He just ran a 4.31 second fastest CB!!!!!!!!!!!

He just did another 4.30 👀👀👀

ADDED  His hip turn is awful. Shocking how bad. Take him off the list, hard pass. Damn!

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

@CrimmageWell our guy just made himself some money. He just ran a 4.31 second fastest CB!!!!!!!!!!!

He just did another 4.30 👀👀👀

ADDED  His hip turn is awful. Shocking how bad. Take him off the list, hard pass. Damn!

Did he do agility drills? I must have missed it, if so that's incredibly disappointing. 

When it comes to outside corners, this draft is incredibly thin imo. Most of these CB's are SMALL

The Combine IMO is a great way to evaluate CBs. I put these drills up there with actual game tape. Dion Sanders was terrific breaking down players. Really miss his input.

Here is my insights based on what I watched today. 

Sauce Ahmad Gardner --- was a major disappointment. He didn't live up to expectations. The announcers gave excuses after every drill.  He was brutal with his hip turn and sloppy in his drills. He could be this year Media hype who won't succeed at the next level. I cringed after watching his line drill. Back peddle with hip turns, brutal !!!!! 

Roger McCreary ----  Absolutely killed it in his drills. He is a quick twitch player that look like he floats on water player. He remained me of Terrece Newman drafted by Cowboys out of Kansas ST. Best player out there today. WOW.

Kyler Gordon  --- very smooth in the drills. Thought he would run faster, still fast. One thing I need to see is 3 cone and shuttle to make sure he can move his hips. Hard to tell big trunk. Strong looking CB.

Trent McDuffie ----  He changed my mine today. He really showed up in the drills. Can't miss taking him.

Others that looked good in drills

Cobie Durant , Derion Kendrick, Armour Davis

Players off my draft board

Taylor Britt, Tariq Woolon and Kaiir Elam

----------------------------------------

Woolen makes Joejuan Williams look like Mike Haynes !!!!!

Kaiir Elam it's baffling how bad he is, all the so so exerts talking about how great his physical skills are, that's great but he can't play CB. He's the typical upside guy which mean "GM your fired" Has no body control to play CB.

If I had to pick right now,  Roger McCreary would be my pick at 21. The best CB on the field today by far. I had him in the 2nd RD before today.

Note:  Andrew Booth Jr. didn't work out today, injury however he would have to kill it at his Pro Day for me to pick him over McCreary. Booth was my favorite CB in this draft at 21. We will see.

Edited by m haynes

19 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Did he do agility drills? I must have missed it, if so that's incredibly disappointing. 

When it comes to outside corners, this draft is incredibly thin imo. Most of these CB's are SMALL

Yup, I did,  Crimm and it was bad,  he looked like Manute Bol  moving out there.

46 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Roger McCreary ----  Absolutely killed it in his drills. He is a quick twitch player that look like he floats on water player. He remained me of Terrece Newman drafted by Cowboys out of Kansas ST. Best player out there today. WOW.

My concerns with him: 

• 4.5 40
  • 29" arms
  • under 6' tall 

I'm not sure he is big enough to be a #1 outside.. or fast enough to be a great slot .. how can you draft him in the top 50? Seems like he could be a solid #2 

Kyler Gordon  --- very smooth in the drills. Thought he would run faster, still fast. One thing I need to see is 3 cone and shuttle to make sure he can move his hips. Hard to tell big trunk. Strong looking CB.

Also 4.5 40 which is concerning .. he's at least a bit bigger than McCreary 

Trent McDuffie ----  He changed my mine today. He really showed up in the drills. Can't miss taking him.

Agreed, but I think he goes top 20

Others that looked good in drills

Cobie Durant , Derion Kendrick, Armour Davis

Don't know the other two guys but I would be concerned to draft Kendrick.. he was known to have injury issues 

Players off my draft board

Taylor Britt, Tariq Woolon and Kaiir Elam

----------------------------------------

Woolen makes Joejuan Williams look like Mike Haynes !!!!!

That's a shame about Woolen.. he seemed like a great athlete that the coaching staff could mold into a #1. I have all the confidence in the world that this team can take a CB and get the most out of them

What did you see on Taylor Britt? He showed more speed than i expected with his 40 and he seemed to have some solid press man abilities. He seems like a potential #2 CB that you could get in the 4th based off what I have seen. 

Kaiir Elam it's baffling how bad he is, all the so so exerts talking about how great his physical skills that's great but he can't play CB. He's the typical upside guy which mean "GM your fired"

I think his 40 and size are going to shoot him up draft boards tbo. He has size too and I keep seeing highlights of him locking down the Alabama WR's.. I didn't ever watch him because I don't want anything to do with Florida lol 

If I had to pick right now,  Roger McCreary would be my pick at 21. The best CB on the field today by far. I had him in the 2nd RD before today.

Note:  Andrew Booth Jr. didn't work out today, injury however he would have to kill it at his Pro Day for me to pick him over McCreary. Booth was my favorite CB in this draft at 21. We will see.

Booth is my #1 .. I think he has all the makings of a #1 CB. I think this CB class is super overrated though.. so to me it seems unlikely he could make it to 21, but who knows. I have major CB concerns for this team.. I can't think of how they could fix that issue without JC

Edited by Crimmage