Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

I'm more interested in the QB. Checked some vids he's got skills,they can work with. I don't think he will be drafted but something might be there down the road.

PS If he could run he would be a top 10 pick in the draft. Why not, they got Willis as the 2nd coming!!!   IMO Willis  should be drafted on the 3rd day at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwE4OdwyffM

How do they know specifically he was there to see the QB? 

Wouldn't it make more sense that he was there to see Moore? Given that he was previously a WR Coach ( for a year) and has never been a QB coach. 

I'm all in on the Nick Caley for OC bandwagon, leave Judge as an assistant to the offense

Historically the Patriots have always struggled with QB's which are athletic .. and the more changes we see in the AFC the more Mayo's comments about getting faster and more explosive on defense are going to have to happen. 

I can understand the desire for wanting elite corners to handle all of these amazing receivers / qbs.. but it feels a lot like the front 7 will need the biggest revisions to be successful. 

OLB: Judon is set on one side, I don't think you'll find anyone who will move the needle 2nd round and they've invested heavily there recently. I think that will end up being Perkins/Uches job for the year. Uche has great pass rushing skills if he can stay healthy and Perkins obviously had a lot of potential for them to pick him in the 3rd round.. rotate them and hopefully one of them sets the edge well enough for BB to not get too grumpy with them. 

ILB: They've added some speed with Mcgrone and Wilson.. but I think you need one more impact player. Someone who is fast enough sideline to sideline to be able to keep an eye on mobile QBs', TE's, RB's,etc. Quay Walker and Troy Anderson are my guys here.. either one would make a MASSIVE impact on this defense day 1 imo. Either of them you can get on day 2. 

DL:  Helping Barmore should be the most important thing for this defense.. getting someone to take on blocks or be another threat for the team to worry about is huge. In free agency i would 100% bring back Trey Flowers, I think he would do well to increase his market value being back on a 1yr deal.. and getting a legit NT would help too. Travis Jones can help with the run and I think he would provide a bit more pass rush than draft profiles are giving him credit for. I think he can be a 3 down player and give offenses another player to worry about outside of Barmore. I think he goes early 2nd so that's a good trade back candidate. I also believe moving Gaudchaux to DE where he is more comfortable will lead to better production.. then you can try and further upgrade his spot in the future ( along with Wise). 

Travis Jones and Quay Walker / Troy Anderson would do so much to help this defense day 1 .. they would help Barmore / Judon / Uche / Perkins all take big steps forward and be more effective. 

Corner in this draft is a bit of a mess.. with Andrew Booth being injured I don't see a clear cut #1 guy, so I would rather go for the guys I believe will make more of an impact. I have an awful feeling they are going to fall in love with Kaiir Elam but I think he's fools gold. Given their history of getting the most out of CB's .. I think they should go 100% for raw talent and allow their coaching staff 1-2 years to mold the guys into great players for their system. So I would draft two guys from the following group: 

- Tariq Woolen ( round 2-3, value of the money.. blew up combine but didn't do agility drills.. was a WR which is intriguing) 

- Zyon McCollum ( he wasn't on the radar before the combine.. but he tests off the charts.. I draft him round 3-5 and coach him into a starter) 

- Alontae Taylor ( day 3, has CB potential and if he isn't agile enough could make for a good safety prospect) 

- Jayln Armour-Davis (day 3, nobody is talking about this guy but he has talent.. Alabama connection .. I would totally give him a shot) 

- Cam Taylor-Britt (round 3-4, just seems like their type of guy)  

Colts and Falcons will be two teams to watch out for .. both could use a QB and both could offer a decent haul for 21. I would take 42, 73, and 82 for 21 all day. 

Imagine: 

• 42: Travis Jones DT ( Day 1 NT)
  • 54: Quay Walker LB ( Day 1 contributor at LB) 
  • 73: Christian Watson WR ( Likely gone but a little wishful thinking) 
  • 82: Zyon McCollum CB ( all the potential in the world) 
  • 85: Zach Tom OL ( Can play G or T, day 1 LG potential) 
  • 127: Obinna Eze OT ( Future LT, guy has huge potential) 
  • 170: Jayln Armour-Davis (big potential, great day 3 pickup imo) 
  • 200: JT Woods S ( Huge athleticism to find in the 6th) 
  • 210: Slade Bolden WR ( Ol Reliable) 

If you find a way to grab an extra pick and take Matt Araiza that's 100% my DREAM draft for this year. Adding insane speed to the defense and building towards the future of the offense. 

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I think that will end up being Perkins/Uches job for the year.

I'm not high on either one. I would look in this draft for a upgrade. Perkins fit is based on his physical traits. He lacks hip flexibility. Also I hate high picks that don't see the field. That's a red flag , Jennings example. I don't buy Pats system is hard, it football not brain surgery.

. LBs......but I think you need one more impact player.

I would look for two LBs in this draft. Forget Flowers if he's here for one year, waste of time. Get younger for the future 2023>>>>

. I have an awful feeling they are going to fall in love with Kaiir Elam but I think he's fools gold.

You and me both. I will lose it if he's picked in any RD by the Pats. I now look at CBs like the RB position. Don't waste a high pick on one. There value is limited to the overall defense without pressure from the DL.  It would be different if we were one player away to make a legit run to the SB. 

. I think they should go 100% for raw talent and allow their coaching staff 1-2 years to mold the guys into great players for their system.

I'm in full agreement with you, go after raw talent in the later rounds and develop them. CBs to add to your list

Josh Jobe

Marcus Jones

Markquese Bell

Nehemiah Pritchett

Isaac Taylor-Stuart

Cordale Flott

My draft

• 54: Logan Hall DE/DT ( Day 1 DL)
  • 73:  Troy Anderson LB ( wishful thinking) if not Brandon Smith or Damone Clark
  • 82: Josh Jobe CB (plug and play day 1)
  • 85: Max Mitchell  OT
  • 127:  Zach Tom OL ( Can play G or T, day 1 LG potential) size  drops him but perfect for Pats.

JAD @170 is a steal. Not only that, you have plug and play with both Bama CBs.  They don't have to be stars as long as they can play and are not gambles at the NFL level.  EX Williams,Richards, Trevon Wilson whole lot of crap through the years!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

I'm not high on either one. I would look in this draft for a upgrade. Perkins fit is based on his physical traits. He lacks hip flexibility. Also I hate high picks that don't see the field. That's a red flag , Jennings example. I don't buy Pats system is hard, it football not brain surgery.

My take on this is that they have so many needs that you can't bother taking guys at positions where you have youth unless you are 1000% sure the guys you have suck. Uche has flashed a bunch throughout his couple years to at least be a part time player.. and Perkins was redshirted but showed some decent skills in preseason.. I dont think you spend a top 60 pick to try and replace those guys. You don't have that luxury this year... if they both fail then you can spend a high pick on a replacement next year. 

I would look for two LBs in this draft. Forget Flowers if he's here for one year, waste of time. Get younger for the future 2023>>>>

Flowers is only 28.. if they want to sign him to a 2-3 year deal i'm all for that. He had some injury issues in Detroit but he was mr dependable here. I would be totally fine with bringing him back. 

You and me both. I will lose it if he's picked in any RD by the Pats. I now look at CBs like the RB position. Don't waste a high pick on one. There value is limited to the overall defense without pressure from the DL.  It would be different if we were one player away to make a legit run to the SB. 

I'm in full agreement with you, go after raw talent in the later rounds and develop them. CBs to add to your list

Josh Jobe

Problem with Jobe is he is small ( like 180) and does't look that fast... as a day 3 guy that you want as depth sure.. but i dont think he has starter potential

Marcus Jones

Slot guy which I dont think they can afford to take high but i agree he has all the athleticism in the world

Markquese Bell

Haven't seen any of him but looks like he is a FS? good 40 but his shuttle was bad.. may not be as agile of a guy as they want. Not sure where he goes in the draft

Nehemiah Pritchett

179, can he handle a man heavy system? Seems like he would get thrown around by outside receivers

Isaac Taylor-Stuart

looked up his draft profile and it looks like he fits perfectly into that category too.. how are so many athletic corners projected to go day 3? Maybe I just have too much confident in this staff to coach up a DB and be special. 

Cordale Flott

My concern with him is he is smalllll like 160 small 

My draft

• 54: Logan Hall DE/DT ( Day 1 DL)
  • 73:  Troy Anderson LB ( wishful thinking) if not Brandon Smith or Damone Clark
  • 82: Josh Jobe CB (plug and play day 1)
  • 85: Max Mitchell  OT
  • 127:  Zach Tom OL ( Can play G or T, day 1 LG potential) size  drops him but perfect for Pats.

JAD @170 is a steal. Not only that, you have plug and play with both Bama CBs.  They don't have to be stars as long as they can play and are not gambles at the NFL level.  EX Williams,Richards, Trevon Wilson whole lot of crap through the years!!!!!

I agree JAD at 170 is a steal .. so many projections have him going in the 6th/7th so if he is there i'm all for it. We are seeing that you can certainly find Corners on day 3 .. they aren't going to be amazing year 1 but we can handle some growing pains as they get experience. 

it would be great to find a way to trade back and get: 

- 2 2nds (DL + LB)

- 2 3rds (WR + CB)

- 2 4ths (OL + CB)

- keep your 5th (Matt Araiza) 

- keep your 2 6ths ( BPA + Bolden)

Do that and I'll be feeling really good about this team moving forward. If they can sign Bates out of Buffalo to play LG and Trent Brown for RT I'll feel great about the offseason.. at least that way you only need to worry about trying to get a developmental tackle to take over after this year and you can focus more on defense / WR

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

My take on this is that they have so many needs that you can't bother taking guys at positions where you have youth unless you are 1000% sure the guys you have suck. Uche has flashed a bunch throughout his couple years to at least be a part time player.. and Perkins was redshirted but showed some decent skills in preseason.. I dont think you spend a top 60 pick to try and replace those guys. You don't have that luxury this year... if they both fail then you can spend a high pick on a replacement next year. 

Flowers is only 28.. if they want to sign him to a 2-3 year deal i'm all for that. He had some injury issues in Detroit but he was mr dependable here. I would be totally fine with bringing him back. 

Problem with Jobe is he is small ( like 180) and does't look that fast... as a day 3 guy that you want as depth sure.. but i dont think he has starter potential

Slot guy which I dont think they can afford to take high but i agree he has all the athleticism in the world

Haven't seen any of him but looks like he is a FS? good 40 but his shuttle was bad.. may not be as agile of a guy as they want. Not sure where he goes in the draft

179, can he handle a man heavy system? Seems like he would get thrown around by outside receivers

looked up his draft profile and it looks like he fits perfectly into that category too.. how are so many athletic corners projected to go day 3? Maybe I just have too much confident in this staff to coach up a DB and be special. 

My concern with him is he is smalllll like 160 small 

I agree JAD at 170 is a steal .. so many projections have him going in the 6th/7th so if he is there i'm all for it. We are seeing that you can certainly find Corners on day 3 .. they aren't going to be amazing year 1 but we can handle some growing pains as they get experience. 

it would be great to find a way to trade back and get: 

- 2 2nds (DL + LB)

- 2 3rds (WR + CB)

- 2 4ths (OL + CB)

- keep your 5th (Matt Araiza) 

- keep your 2 6ths ( BPA + Bolden)

Do that and I'll be feeling really good about this team moving forward. If they can sign Bates out of Buffalo to play LG and Trent Brown for RT I'll feel great about the offseason.. at least that way you only need to worry about trying to get a developmental tackle to take over after this year and you can focus more on defense / WR

Agree except at CB. I don't care about the size. Can they play that it for me. I will take there "short" comings because I hate when we miss out on players not fitting the BB mold. I also think BB is blinded by the traits he's looking for at CB.

Jobe speed is a concern however he has shown he can go against the big boys. Also this is what happen when BB overlook a player that doesn't check the boxes.  Matter of fact he also goes overboard the other way!!!

IMO he has success with players later in the draft because he throws out everything and judges them mostly on how they played.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 2:51 AM, Crimmage said:

Historically the Patriots have always struggled with QB's which are athletic .. and the more changes we see in the AFC the more Mayo's comments about getting faster and more explosive on defense are going to have to happen. 

I can understand the desire for wanting elite corners to handle all of these amazing receivers / qbs.. but it feels a lot like the front 7 will need the biggest revisions to be successful. 

OLB: Judon is set on one side, I don't think you'll find anyone who will move the needle 2nd round and they've invested heavily there recently. I think that will end up being Perkins/Uches job for the year. Uche has great pass rushing skills if he can stay healthy and Perkins obviously had a lot of potential for them to pick him in the 3rd round.. rotate them and hopefully one of them sets the edge well enough for BB to not get too grumpy with them. 

ILB: They've added some speed with Mcgrone and Wilson.. but I think you need one more impact player. Someone who is fast enough sideline to sideline to be able to keep an eye on mobile QBs', TE's, RB's,etc. Quay Walker and Troy Anderson are my guys here.. either one would make a MASSIVE impact on this defense day 1 imo. Either of them you can get on day 2. 

DL:  Helping Barmore should be the most important thing for this defense.. getting someone to take on blocks or be another threat for the team to worry about is huge. In free agency i would 100% bring back Trey Flowers, I think he would do well to increase his market value being back on a 1yr deal.. and getting a legit NT would help too. Travis Jones can help with the run and I think he would provide a bit more pass rush than draft profiles are giving him credit for. I think he can be a 3 down player and give offenses another player to worry about outside of Barmore. I think he goes early 2nd so that's a good trade back candidate. I also believe moving Gaudchaux to DE where he is more comfortable will lead to better production.. then you can try and further upgrade his spot in the future ( along with Wise). 

Travis Jones and Quay Walker / Troy Anderson would do so much to help this defense day 1 .. they would help Barmore / Judon / Uche / Perkins all take big steps forward and be more effective. 

Corner in this draft is a bit of a mess.. with Andrew Booth being injured I don't see a clear cut #1 guy, so I would rather go for the guys I believe will make more of an impact. I have an awful feeling they are going to fall in love with Kaiir Elam but I think he's fools gold. Given their history of getting the most out of CB's .. I think they should go 100% for raw talent and allow their coaching staff 1-2 years to mold the guys into great players for their system. So I would draft two guys from the following group: 

- Tariq Woolen ( round 2-3, value of the money.. blew up combine but didn't do agility drills.. was a WR which is intriguing) 

- Zyon McCollum ( he wasn't on the radar before the combine.. but he tests off the charts.. I draft him round 3-5 and coach him into a starter) 

- Alontae Taylor ( day 3, has CB potential and if he isn't agile enough could make for a good safety prospect) 

- Jayln Armour-Davis (day 3, nobody is talking about this guy but he has talent.. Alabama connection .. I would totally give him a shot) 

- Cam Taylor-Britt (round 3-4, just seems like their type of guy)  

Colts and Falcons will be two teams to watch out for .. both could use a QB and both could offer a decent haul for 21. I would take 42, 73, and 82 for 21 all day. 

Imagine: 

• 54: Quay Walker LB ( Day 1 contributor at LB) 
  • 73: Christian Watson WR ( Likely gone but a little wishful thinking) 
  • 82: Zyon McCollum CB ( all the potential in the world) 
  • 85: Zach Tom OL ( Can play G or T, day 1 LG potential) 
  • 127: Obinna Eze OT ( Future LT, guy has huge potential) 

If you find a way to grab an extra pick and take Matt Araiza that's 100% my DREAM draft for this year. Adding insane speed to the defense and building towards the future of the offense. 

Can we role with a starting LB corps of;

McGrone and Walker/Anderson/Wilson?

Feels like we’ll need a Veteran in there just for one year considering the emphasis we place of LB and communication etc

What about JoJo Domann in 2nd or 3rd?

Allow me to paint a picture. Ohio State, 2021. Domann is three yards behind the ball on the far hash against a completion on the numbers to the boundary. And 60 yards later, he’s collisions WR Jaxson Smith-Njigba as he crosses the plane of the end zone. He’s got phenomenal effort and plays with a red-hot motor. I can appreciate his hitting power but if you put him in traffic and ask him to hold his ground, he doesn’t have the length or punch power to handle those assignments with consistency; he’ll need to be a penetration slasher to have success in the NFL in traffic. 

Very fluid. His foot-fire and hip mobility allow him to make sudden changes and play with dynamic pop. I see little issue with him scraping overtop of plays or driving on throws off his landmark in zone coverage. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Can we role with a starting LB corps of;

McGrone and Walker/Anderson/Wilson?

Feels like we’ll need a Veteran in there just for one year considering the emphasis we place of LB and communication etc

Bentley and McMillian will end up being the veterans in the room. I think that's a large part of why they resigned Bentley. McMillian also has a good amount of potential assuming he can stay healthy. If so, the two of them will end up getting a lot of snaps. 

Bentley has steadily gotten better every year and has at least one full year of controlling the defense when Hightower opted out. His play recognition has drastically improved which helps because he is so slow.. also why I figured nobody would sign him to a big deal. 

That's why I think you add one guy and you're in great shape.. especially if it's a guy with sideline to sideline speed like Walker or Anderson

Edited by Crimmage

Thoughts on my mock I just did? Turned around the defense as best I could with speed and IQ. I didn’t get a bonafide receiver, perhaps we sign one before training camp starts😅😂

Pick 21 and pick 85 traded to Arizona for pick 23 and pick 55

23: Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson

Great value here on the return and probably one of the last few chances to get in on Booth. Trade down was a no brained. On the selection, I was deciding between Booth and Kaiir Elam but Booth is one of my favorite prospects; he won out. Cards used the pick on Trevor Penning 

54: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina

6’4”, 265lbs. He won’t turn 23 until after his rookie season is over, and he’s gonna be getting a lot of snaps as a 22 year old because of his versatility. He can stand up or get down in the dirt. He’s got a quick first step and knows how to use his hands. Apparently this guy did some workouts with the DB’s coach (!!!), and that’ll only help encourage BB to play this guy as much as possible.

55: Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State

6’3”, 240lbs. Former 5 star turned down an offer from Nick Saban at Alabama, but only started for two full years with the Nittany Lions. He’s fast moving downhill and he’s fast moving laterally, too. This guy is an athletic monster and has played the MIKE, SAM, and WILL spots at linebacker 🤤 

Pick 127 & pick 210 traded to NYG for pick 147 & pick 173

Wasn’t really anybody too enticing on the board.

147: Pierre Strong Jr, RB, South Dakota State

Typical Mid-round throwaway pick. Strong has some nice potential though. I would much rather have gone for a receiver here, but didn’t see any that caught my eye at this juncture.

170:  Percy Butler, DB, Louisiana

Butler has lined up on the d-line, in the slot, at corner, stayed in the box, and had the most of his time at deep safety. We can use that versatility one day as he finds his footing on special teams. Myles Bryant replacement?

173: Jalen Nailor, WR, MSU

As a Spartan fan, I was sad to see Nailor go. Not just because he helped our team, but because another year in school would’ve done him really well for his stock. “Speedy” averaged 17 yards a catch and had 160+ rushing yards with a score as well. His acceleration is great and he’s pretty nimble and shifty on his feet. He’s a very willing blocker. His hands are the biggest knock on him though. Not an ideal spot to land our first receiver, but he comes with 9 kick returns and 8 punt returns in his career. Something to work with.

200: Ryan Van Demark, OT, Connecticut 

Shot in the dark. I know nothing about him, but being close to Foxboro and playing at a position where we need to find talented guys to step up, he gets the final call on draft day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Thoughts on my mock I just did? Turned around the defense as best I could with speed and IQ. I didn’t get a bonafide receiver, perhaps we sign one before training camp starts😅😂

Pick 21 and pick 85 traded to Arizona for pick 23 and pick 55

23: Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson

Great value here on the return and probably one of the last few chances to get in on Booth. Trade down was a no brained. On the selection, I was deciding between Booth and Kaiir Elam but Booth is one of my favorite prospects; he won out. Cards used the pick on Trevor Penning 

54: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina

6’4”, 265lbs. He won’t turn 23 until after his rookie season is over, and he’s gonna be getting a lot of snaps as a 22 year old because of his versatility. He can stand up or get down in the dirt. He’s got a quick first step and knows how to use his hands. Apparently this guy did some workouts with the DB’s coach (!!!), and that’ll only help encourage BB to play this guy as much as possible.

55: Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State

6’3”, 240lbs. Former 5 star turned down an offer from Nick Saban at Alabama, but only started for two full years with the Nittany Lions. He’s fast moving downhill and he’s fast moving laterally, too. This guy is an athletic monster and has played the MIKE, SAM, and WILL spots at linebacker 🤤 

Pick 127 & pick 210 traded to NYG for pick 147 & pick 173

Wasn’t really anybody too enticing on the board.

147: Pierre Strong Jr, RB, South Dakota State

Typical Mid-round throwaway pick. Strong has some nice potential though. I would much rather have gone for a receiver here, but didn’t see any that caught my eye at this juncture.

170:  Percy Butler, DB, Louisiana

Butler has lined up on the d-line, in the slot, at corner, stayed in the box, and had the most of his time at deep safety. We can use that versatility one day as he finds his footing on special teams. Myles Bryant replacement?

173: Jalen Nailor, WR, MSU

As a Spartan fan, I was sad to see Nailor go. Not just because he helped our team, but because another year in school would’ve done him really well for his stock. “Speedy” averaged 17 yards a catch and had 160+ rushing yards with a score as well. His acceleration is great and he’s pretty nimble and shifty on his feet. He’s a very willing blocker. His hands are the biggest knock on him though. Not an ideal spot to land our first receiver, but he comes with 9 kick returns and 8 punt returns in his career. Something to work with.

200: Ryan Van Demark, OT, Connecticut 

Shot in the dark. I know nothing about him, but being close to Foxboro and playing at a position where we need to find talented guys to step up, he gets the final call on draft day.

Yeah it’s good! 

Is that first trade viable in real life? I’d imagine the value we get back from that heavily outweighs the value they receive ? They’d have to really want a player available at 21 and expect him to be taken at 22

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah it’s good! 

Is that first trade viable in real life? I’d imagine the value we get back from that heavily outweighs the value they receive ? They’d have to really want a player available at 21 and expect him to be taken at 22

I don’t think the trade would happen right there, but the PFF mock simulator let it fly so be it lol

Honestly, I’m torn between wanting us to take a top tier prospect or trading back for more picks. Traditionally, the latter is what I’m in favor of. But now, we’re picking early 20’s instead of late 20’s like normal.. Should we keep that value? Should we trade it?

I can’t see a lot of scenarios in my head right now where someone wants to come up that far (21) that makes sense for us. Detroit at 32 & 34, but they’re in rebuild mode and without looking at a chart, I feel like that isn’t a fair trade for them anyway. Plus I don’t see them selling off those picks. Maybe the Seahawks with 40 & 41, but then my question: is the jump all the way down 19 spots to get an extra pick worth missing out on a guy like Booth, or Elam?

If we are gonna trade it, we need extra early picks from an aforementioned team.

We can’t trade away this pick like we did with Minnesota in the Cordarrelle Patterson trade (2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round picks) for pick 29. While that is good value, we can not get out of the first two rounds with at least 3 players minimum.