Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

With the few picks that the Patriots have I think BB won't see much of a difference between players in the 1st and 2nd. 

A few thoughts: 

• I think Christian Harris will be BB's #1 LB, he can be had 30-45 .. but if no team is willing to trade back, don't be surprised if he takes him at 21. He is a leader, calls in the plays at Alabama, and Saban will likely give him a glowing review. 
  • NT is a big need.. Travis Jones at 53 feels like a no brainer if he is there 
  • ASSUMING JC is back, CB has a lot of intriguing late round guys.. to the point where I think BB could bypass early CB and double dip in the 3rd-5th depending on if he can trade back for more picks. 
    • Marcus Jones / Tariq Woolen / Cam Taylor-Britt / Mario Goodrich / Josh Jobe / Alontae Taylor are all names to look out for
  • If either Romeo Doubs / Christian Watson make it to the 3rd/4th round range.. I'd expect BB to pick them ( assuming they liked their meeting with them at the Senior Bowl) 
  • As much as I love Metchie / Robinson .. I'm feeling less and less like BB is going to draft for offense in the 1st 2 rounds.. if anyone is available late he could go after them though. 
  • Wild Card picks.. FS / OT / OG .. I think BB will be looking at these middle to late rounds and only pick someone if the value is too good to pass up 

Current Mental Mock: 

• 21 Traded to Texans for 35, 67 and 134
  • 2nd, 35 = Christian Harris, LB .. Leader in the middle, future pro bowler at LB
  • 2nd, 53 = Travis Jones, NT.. Helps run defense, clears up Barmore to make more plays and have a monster year
  • 67 Traded to Chargers for 81, 119, 158
  • 3rd, 81 = Christian Watson, WR .. height and speed, D2 Mike Evans .. has huge potential 
  • 3rd, 85 = Tyler Smith, OT .. Huge, give him 1 year behind Brown/Wynn and he is your starting LT for awhile
  • 4th, 119 = Marcus Jones, CB .. slot corner with insane speed and special teams value. Need this type of guy with all the speed in the division
  • 4th, 123 = Tariq Woolen, CB .. tall and fast corner, only been a cb for 2 years was perviously a wr .. great developmental guy for the outside. 
  • 4th, 134 = Matt Araiza, P .. said to be generational punting prospect, save 3-4M cutting Bailey, no brainer
  • 5th, 158 = Alec Lindstrom, C/G .. depth on the interior
  • 6th, 198 = Slade Bolden, WR .. Not the elite physical talent I wanted at WR like Moore/Metchie/Robinson but he has time with Mac and another guy Saban will probably gush over
  • 6th, 209 = Max Borghi, RB .. James White replacement to compete with JJ Taylor 

Only 2 trades but able to get 3 later round picks out of each .. as of right now this would be my near perfect draft assuming JC is back and I'm trying to be realistic with who is available / trades. 

25 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Romeo Doubs

Not a fan at all hands of stone. He has the physical makeup however bad hands is a non starter.

2nd, 35 = Christian Harris, LB

I would go with Damone Clark LB  LSU.

after you hit it out of the park!!!!!!! All you needed was Jones and Tariq Woolen, and you get A plus.

All the others was just frosting o n the cake.

copied  by mistake

Edited by m haynes

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Not a fan at all hands of stone. He has the physical makeup however bad hands is a non starter.

I agree, I love Watson ( who also doesn't have amazing hands) but included Romeo because the Patriots spoke to him as well at the combine. 

Watson I believe can contribute day 1 with a small route tree and grow into the offense further over time. You can trade Agholor for a day 3 pick and that's a win in my book. 

I would go with Damone Clark LB  LSU.

Totally possible.. he could go anywhere from 2nd-3rd because he's a bit bigger. I lean towards Harris because of the Alabama connection and I believe he has a bit higher potential. He's already the guy calling plays ( not sure if Clark is) and he looks faster and better in coverage. 

Now if BB were to want Quay Walker / Damone Clark who I also like .. he could trade back even further and grab either of those guys in the 50's / 60's I'd guess. 

after you hit it out of the park!!!!!!! All you needed was Jones and Tariq Woolen, and you get A plus.

yup.. love both and they could fly up draft boards with a great combine. But as of right now they are both seen as day 3 guys.. to me is nuts. I would happily trade back in the 1st and 2nd to be able to secure both of those guys in the 3rd. 

Rounds 2-4 are golden in this draft imo.. you can get several long term starters in those rounds. Give them 6 picks in rounds 2-4 and you'll get at least 3 long term starters imo 

24 minutes ago, m haynes said:

This is the reason why I would consider  T Jones at 21. 

I wouldn't be surprised if BB takes him at 21 if nobody is willing to trade back with him. He's gone from being a top 100 guy to a top 50 guy from his senior bowl performance. Good for him, he's made himself A LOT of money. 

The other factor is that if they have Jones, Davon Godchaux can be the DE where he is more comfortable. This would really improve the DL in a variety of ways. 

This is going to be a really hard draft for the Patriots.. so many needs.. only 6 draft picks.. in a draft which doesn't have elite talent. 

You can go two ways in this draft: Do I want to support my young QB and give him as many weapons as I can.. or do I want to try and revitalize my defense in one draft. 

• Andrew Booth Jr, Travis Jones, Quay Walker for instance gives you a dominant young defense with 3 guys who contribute day 1 .. it would be hard for BB to pass up that draft first two days of the draft imo ( Booth may be there at 21 but he would likely need to trade up for at least one of those two guys) 

On 2/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, m haynes said:

This is the reason why I would consider  T Jones at 21. He's doing this while playing at U Conn. Might be the only guy on that team being looked at!!! IMO our D line will be dominate with Barmore and Jones.

I'm a firm believer in loading up the trenches in this draft. Buffalo's weakness is their below average offensive line.

Getting more athletic linebackers that can spy on and confuse Allen is crucial too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Ya I saw that and I read his article.

He full of crap and doesn't know ship. He said source, ya it was his postman!!  He's just looking for headlines. What everyone is leaving off is that he mentioned those three (his favorites) and the sentence ends with "among others"

Pats are talking to WRs   That like say water is wet.

I don't believe anyone with a source when it about the Pats. 

Remember Mariota coming to the Pats was all over the media. That was started by Perry, it was total BS!

ADDED   Also Thursday is for TE QB and quest WRs!!!!  Who else would the Pats talk to THAT DAY!!

https://www.nfl.com/combine/event-info/event-overview

Edited by m haynes

On 2/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, m haynes said:

This is the reason why I would consider  T Jones at 21. He's doing this while playing at U Conn. Might be the only guy on that team being looked at!!! IMO our D line will be dominate with Barmore and Jones.

I don't know if he is going to go that high. He has potential but also has a lot of work to be a solid NFL guy. He plays high most of the time and benefited from weak competition.  However, he was solid, but I don't think he goes in round one.

7 hours ago, jofos said:

I don't know if he is going to go that high. He has potential but also has a lot of work to be a solid NFL guy. He plays high most of the time and benefited from weak competition.  However, he was solid, but I don't think he goes in round one.

I agree he needs coaching but that goes for most rookies. His raw skill IMO are off the charts. Also he was the best player at the SR Bowl where he destroyed anyone in front of him.  I know that he listed as a 2nd RD talent by most but I really don't care, most of them don't have a clue. Jones can play right away on running downs while improving on other parts of his game.

The only thing I look for with a rookie, does he show skills and does he improve as the season goes along. It's very rare to see a rookies such as Jones and Barmore come out of the gate that strong.

My philosophy when it comes to defense.  It starts with the DL. without pressure you don't have a chance in today's NFL.

There is only one thing that bother Brady, inside pass rush, without it you didn't have a chance.

EX  Rams without Donald, Chiefs without Chris Jones have very little chance winning SB.

IMO Jones will be a 1st rd pick.  The Lions have the 32nd pick and they coached him at the SR Bowl. they have 1st hand knowledge how dominate he was during the week.

https://www.si.com/college/uconn/football/football-travis-jones-climbs-up-nfl-draft-boards

Edited by m haynes

Per reports,

Metchie also mentions that the Patriots meeting went “really well” and they talked to him about, amongst other things,  Mac Jones and Christian Barmore in their interview. States he likes the structure of Belichick’s program and talked about the offensive similarities.

It feels to me almost like their WR decisions are going to be based extensively on how much they fall in love with Slade Bolden / insert late round slot candidate. 

If they feel Slade Bolden can give them 75%+ out of the slot that someone like Metchie/Moore can do .. then we can almost guarantee they will draft Bolden in the 6th over someone like Metchie in the 2nd. Given all of the talk from Bolden about O'Brien working with him regarding how he used Wes Welker.. that all seems like stuff BB would love hearing. That and he can easily ask O'Brien / Saban if they feel he can make it happen at the next level. IF they feel he can.. then it's a no brainer to just go after him in the 5th-7th. 

That still leaves open the X position though .. and there are multiple day 2/3 guys they could look into that will add speed there. 

Assuming Williams/Metchie are ahead of schedule and ready for training camp.. I'm sure their stocks rise and further the desire to trade back. 

Do you want Jameson Williams at 21? Or Quay Walker in the 2nd, Christian Watkins in the 3rd and Slade Bolden in the 6th .. because the trade back could mean that different of a draft.