Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

I just watched today sports and something popped in my head.

Mike Lombardi was ask what the Pats needed in the draft. His answer speed on defense biggest priority. Asked about offense and he said that they have what is needed in place and the Pats philosophy is to teach the system 1st year, and in the 2nd get them to works together as a unit. Something like that!

I might have to change my thinking concerning the positions they will target in the draft. IMO now a high pick WR is just a pipe dream. They are going defense all the way. We will be lucky if they pick one later in the draft or not at all.  Do I like this no, but if you really look at the major holes are on defense.  We have no shot against Bills if we don't shore up that unit.

Personally I will be looking at defense players going forward.  Also there's a good chance they trade the pick. Why (another show) Mel Kiper has all of the QBs falling out of the top 10, if that happens maybe one of the top 10 loop back into the 1st if a QB drops to 21. Pats get top (high) 2nd round pick plus additional picks.

The players that came to mind were. Travon Walker or Cameron Thomas EDGE San Diego State, high 2nd RD picks. Note I have seen many draft that have Walker going late 1st early second.  Boy did I waste a lot of time looking at offensive players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  🥵🤣

Edited by m haynes

29 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I think the best situation is go to a hybrid model of ILB

This is a great comment. Exactly what they need going forward.  You do that and have elite man to man CBs.  The hard part is to find balance with the current scheme. Do you know any big LB's that also can go slide line to sideline. Off top of my head is the Penn st guy,

6'3"
244 lbs

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

This is a great comment. Exactly what they need going forward.  You do that and have elite man to man CBs.  The hard part is to find balance with the current scheme. Do you know any big LB's that also can go slide line to sideline. Off top of my head is the Penn st guy,

6'3"
244 lbs

I think that's even more of a reason to double down on the secondary: 

• Resign JC to a 5 year deal ( by the end it will be cheap, with him at 31yrs old) 
  • Draft a safety in first two rounds (McCourty goes and you are full youth movement at Safety... someone with SPEED) 
  • Draft a CB in first two rounds ( Be a #2 by midseason jumping over Mills) 
  • NT in rounds 3-5 ( NEED this big guy to help clog up the middle) 
  • Draft a fast LB similar to Mcgrone in the 3rd/4th rounds 

I think you could resolve a lot of issues this way: 

• You've got your 2 starting corners for the next 5 years
  • You have your 3 Safeties solidified and McCourty replacement 
  • You are given the option to leave Jon Jones on a 1yr deal or you could cut him and have Mills become the slot guy / all over the defense guy along with Bryant
  • Wade can continue to develop and become a reliable extra CB or maybe even turn into a starter 
  • NT will greatly help the run defense 

If they go this direction.. i'm not 100% convinced they even take a LB early.. if they resign Bentley and another mid level free agent.. you can give playing time to Mcgrone / Uche / Perkins without worrying about a veteran being in front of them. Judon/KVN/Bentley is enough veteran leadership there for the LB's.. the rest of the guys getting playing time need to be the young guys. 

Do we know any new information on why he left this season? 

He is very young, i can only imagine the Falcons would want a 1st rounder for him.. and given the doubt surrounding his availability.. i wouldn't make that deal personally. 

Without knowing what happened and his future availability.. im not sure I would even give them a 2nd for him 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

. i'm not 100% convinced they even take a LB early.

Maybe not in the 1st RD but 2nd RD down a big need. Reason below

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

/KVN/Bentley

I want both guys replaced. Bentley is to slow for today's game and what we need to do. He can't cover. KVN whats the point other than leadership which I don't think he has, even thou Tom Curran his buddy says so. I keep Bentlay on the cheap but he would be used rarely. Last guy on the LB roster. Bills match him up he has no chance.

Right now, I have a new Binky.  I think he is perfect for our defense. I see traits in his game that remind me of M Parson and could have the same effect for the Patriots. No I'm not say he's Parson but he can have that effect on the Pats D.  I can just see Barmore and Walker working off each other. They say the best pass rush hide a ton of problems.

Travon Walker  6'5 275lbs as Softmore he played at 300 LBs. and greatest part is that he runs the 40 in 4.6 !!!!!! He plays up and down the DL and can play Edge just like Big Willie. Take a look.

Travon Walker, Georgia DT | NFL Draft Scouting Report

2022 NFL Draft: Georgia DL Travon Walker Is A Unique Prospect

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480904860040056832

The only reason I see not drafting him at 21 is if two CBs fall. Andrew Booth and Ahmad Gardner I pass all other CB and go after one in the second RD with a target on Kyler Gordon. I think Gorden is the next best CB. I wouldn't mine is they had to trade up to get him. Than follow up with "Rodney 2"  Lewis Cine S Georgia hopefully in the 3rd.

PS I think the whole back end of are defense are soft. That needs to change. I don't know how many times I have seen the pile being pushed forward while the DBs just stand around watching.

Give me some Shoulder Hunters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁

Edited by m haynes

14 minutes ago, m haynes said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Markquese+Bell%2C+S%2C+Florida+A%26M

I found Markquese Bell small school DB. 6'3 205 hits light a truck and pretty mobile.

Late RD choice , he can move down into the box on passing downs or start out on ST.

It all depends on his 40 time. Some list him at 4.7 others 4.5.

Now that the season is over people are really start to talk prospects and at this early stage my barometer has been "have I heard @m haynes mention this guy already?"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, m haynes said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Markquese+Bell%2C+S%2C+Florida+A%26M

I found Markquese Bell small school DB. 6'3 205 hits light a truck and pretty mobile.

Late RD choice , he can move down into the box on passing downs or start out on ST.

Looks like the type of guy BB would bring in as a UDFA. 

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Ross / Bryant this offseason. Do they get some run in the slot / safety or do they just get released in exchange for a new crop of UDFA. 

I could see 1 addition in the secondary in the draft or 2+ depending on what they do. If BB loves Wade and thinks he can be a starter next year he isn't going to want to put a high pick into a corner. If he thinks Bryant/Mills can help out at safety he probably won't spend a high pick on a safety,etc.

So many factors involved before really knowing what the needs would be come draft time.. I know what I would personally love but we all know our dream drafts never happen lol 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Now that the season is over people are really start to talk prospects and at this early stage my barometer has been "have I heard @m haynes mention this guy already?"

Nope I checked my list didn't have him as a prospect. Matter of fact I spent most of my time looking at LBs and WRs.  I mentioned early that I might of wasted my time in that area. 😁

Its will be interesting what BB will do if Jameson Williams falls to 21.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Its will be interesting what BB will do if Jameson Williams falls to 21.

He will trade back and get a 2nd and 3rd round pick for him. I see absolutely 0 chance of a WR in the first round. 

He is either going to take an OT or Defense in the first round.. with a 50% chance of a team wanting a QB and BB trading out of the pick entirely for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

CB is stacked first 2 rounds ( if you can't get one of the top 3 guys, I'd probably trade back to the early second and get another CB option)

My happiest draft would be double dipping DB and WR with a LB mixed in. 

• 1st round Andrew Booth CB ( instantly gives them a top 5 secondary again, assuming McCourty brought back for 1 more season)
  • 2nd round John Metchie WR ( I'm caving into the idea because of how well he did with Mac) 
  • 3rd round Wan'Dale Robinson WR ( this is my guy and i will never not mock him to the Pats.. he's going to end up in the 2nd round tho i think) 
  • 3rd round ( Mayo Comp) Phidarian Mathis DL (help fix run defense)
  • 4th Damone Clark LB ( big LB but quicker than bentley) 
  • 5th OL / Punt God 

It can also be noted that the above draft will never happen but it still makes me happy to imagine it happening lmfao 

Edited by Crimmage

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

Sounds like a Belichick early 2nd round pick.

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Wan'Dale Robinson WR ( this is my guy and i will never not mock him to the Pats.. he's going to end up in the 2nd round tho i think) 

Let me give you some advice. You might want to keep quiet about Robinson. People are starting to talk about him moving up in the draft, maybe in the 1st!!!! Shut it!! 🤣😁