Unpopular Opinion/offseason

AFF

Just some general thoughts moving forward...

1)I think Canada and Butler both come back next year...If Butler retires, I’m going to assume they promote Austin.

2)A #1 WR might be as pressing of a need as the OL

3)They sorely lack depth at RB/WR

4)I see them cutting Schobert and signing a solid vet in FA to help Bush/bridge the gap til they’re next 1st round ILB pick.

5)Both lines need addressed or the rest of off-season don’t matter

6)They’ll have $70 mill or so this offseason with a few easy cuts(Bsnner/Schobert) and a basic Watt restructure.

7)They’re goin to resign Edmunds so they don’t end up replacing 3/4 of the secondary.

8)Perhaps I’m on this island by myself...the way the team is constructed means going for Rodgers/Wilson at QB. Watt is already 27, Heyward is 33, Minkah is 26 IIRC...most of the younger talent especially on offense is on C1.

By the time a young QB hits(even if he does...odds are terrible after mid 1st), it’s going to take at least the 2nd year to make a deep run, possibly the 3rd....the elite talent on the team will be gpne(Heyward) or starting to hit their 30s.

• Like 1

I agree with this for the most part. I think we go after a vet QB. We might get one of the big guys, but honestly I’m ok with Minshew. We could definitely use a game breaking WR, but I think our guys will improve when the offense’s rhythm improves. I’m not excusing a bad game from our WRs, but I think they’ll be better when everything isn’t so hard. Everything the offense did was hard. Combat catches, Najee carrying 3 guys 4 yards, Pat and JuJu dragging guys for 1st downs. Imagine Claypool catching passes in stride. Imagine Najee running through holes. Imagine Pat catching one over the shoulder in stride down the seam. With an offense that isn’t cobbled together around an run dominate, motion based, OC and an aging QB that has no intermediate or deep accuracy and can’t move at all these things can happen. We made the playoffs with one of the most putrid offenses I’ve seen this team field. I think we’re primed for an actual run. Obviously we need a strong off-season for that to happen, but TomBert can do it. 

• Like 2

Unless Banner can't play again, they will keep him. The reason is that that would leave them with one OT( Moore) under contract.  I expect Tuitt to retire which would add roughly 5M in savings.

They must tender Hassenauer.

Witherspoon is a priority extension and should start in talks tomorrow.

I would resign JuJu as well.

do they tender Haskins?  It would be a $2.4M tender at the lowest level.

I would like to see them get someone like Lakin Tomlinson(OG SFN) or Austin Corbett (OG LAR) in FA 

I will assume they must draft an OT in the 1st 2 rounds plus sign more than a bargain basement Fa

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Unless Banner can't play again, they will keep him. The reason is that that would leave them with one OT( Moore) under contract.  I expect Tuitt to retire which would add roughly 5M in savings.

They must tender Hassenauer.

Witherspoon is a priority extension and should start in talks tomorrow.

I would resign JuJu as well.

do they tender Haskins?  It would be a $2.4M tender at the lowest level.

I would like to see them get someone like Lakin Tomlinson(OG SFN) or Austin Corbett (OG LAR) in FA 

I will assume they must draft an OT in the 1st 2 rounds plus sign more than a bargain basement Fa

I agree with Witherspoon...I’m not sure about Juju...good slot WR but they need speed badly.

With Banner not being able to see the field this year, I’d cut him. Haeg is serviceable depth.

I like the Corbett idea...they might also try to resign Chuks.

3 hours ago, AFF said:

Just some general thoughts moving forward...

1)I think Canada and Butler both come back next year...If Butler retires, I’m going to assume they promote Austin.

2)A #1 WR might be as pressing of a need as the OL

3)They sorely lack depth at RB/WR

4)I see them cutting Schobert and signing a solid vet in FA to help Bush/bridge the gap til they’re next 1st round ILB pick.

5)Both lines need addressed or the rest of off-season don’t matter

6)They’ll have $70 mill or so this offseason with a few easy cuts(Bsnner/Schobert) and a basic Watt restructure.

7)They’re goin to resign Edmunds so they don’t end up replacing 3/4 of the secondary.

8)Perhaps I’m on this island by myself...the way the team is constructed means going for Rodgers/Wilson at QB. Watt is already 27, Heyward is 33, Minkah is 26 IIRC...most of the younger talent especially on offense is on C1.

By the time a young QB hits(even if he does...odds are terrible after mid 1st), it’s going to take at least the 2nd year to make a deep run, possibly the 3rd....the elite talent on the team will be gpne(Heyward) or starting to hit their 30s.

Just out of curiosity, is there any word Butler is/was mulling retirement? I ultimately agree with most on this list other than WR1 being as much of a need as the OL. I'd prefer the money be spent in the secondary (Lord knows Steelers do not typically draft well in that area) or OL. I highly doubt Steelers make any run at Rodgers or Wilson. I cannot see them mortgaging the future to bring one of those guys in with so many holes to fill. Wilson would be going from Seahawks (poor oline) to Steelers with poor oline play. Obviously I fully expect them to address that particular area this offseason. It just doesn't make sense Wilson would waive his NTC to make a lateral move to the Steelers. I personally believe Packers GM Brian Gutekunst has done enough brown nosing to Aaron Rodgers, that fences have been mended. That could obviously change and I may be 100% wrong. I just see the Steelers bringing in more of a lower tier qb to compete with Rudolph. Maybe a Mariota or Jacoby Brissett (Canada coached him at NC State). Not saying those are great moves, I just believe they are more realistic. 

It's going to be interesting for sure.

Agree with resigning WItherspoon and Edmunds, for the reasons stated.
Agree with cutting Schobert and letting some dead weight leave.
I'm not sure on Haden. I'd probably let him go unless you get a great discount.
Same with JuJu, although his age makes him more appealing.

I think both lines need rebuilt.

I like going OT/DT/OG (in any order) with three of our first four picks.
I'd assume free agency will dictate the order. Then I think we need ILB, WR and CB.
I do find it hard to know which QB they would go for aside from Pickett, who will
likely be gone. I still think C.Strong is the best passer in this draft, but he isn't mobile,
so I'm of the opinion they'll let Rudolph and Haskins compete.

I just can't see them using what little draft capital they have on another veteran.

4 hours ago, Regulators87 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any word Butler is/was mulling retirement? I ultimately agree with most on this list other than WR1 being as much of a need as the OL. I'd prefer the money be spent in the secondary (Lord knows Steelers do not typically draft well in that area) or OL. I highly doubt Steelers make any run at Rodgers or Wilson. I cannot see them mortgaging the future to bring one of those guys in with so many holes to fill. Wilson would be going from Seahawks (poor oline) to Steelers with poor oline play. Obviously I fully expect them to address that particular area this offseason. It just doesn't make sense Wilson would waive his NTC to make a lateral move to the Steelers. I personally believe Packers GM Brian Gutekunst has done enough brown nosing to Aaron Rodgers, that fences have been mended. That could obviously change and I may be 100% wrong. I just see the Steelers bringing in more of a lower tier qb to compete with Rudolph. Maybe a Mariota or Jacoby Brissett (Canada coached him at NC State). Not saying those are great moves, I just believe they are more realistic. 

I have t heard anything, but I believe he’s up there in terms of age.

Outside of keeping Canada, I dont see most of this as being "Unpopular".   

Im not huge on keeping Edmunds either, but the logic makes sense.   As long as its a short deal that doesnt overpay him, Im not opposed to it.

25 minutes ago, 43M said:

Outside of keeping Canada, I dont see most of this as being "Unpopular".   

Im not huge on keeping Edmunds either, but the logic makes sense.   As long as its a short deal that doesnt overpay him, Im not opposed to it.

My main 2 I thought that might make some waves was saying a #1 WR might be as big of a need as the OL and thy going for Rodgers makes the most sense due to their current roster rather than grooming a young qb

16 minutes ago, AFF said:

My main 2 I thought that might make some waves was saying a #1 WR might be as big of a need as the OL and thy going for Rodgers makes the most sense due to their current roster rather than grooming a young qb

I certainly dont like 8, but others on here seem very open to it.

edmunds  - let him walk. Butler -  let him go. canada, lets see what he can do with a QB that can throw more than 5 yards and with a tolerable OL for a change.

this isn't easy to go through and figure out, not much interest as it is. The trenches need major help.

Unpopular might be try mason for one season as a stop gap while the trenches get fixed and get WR's that can catch.  I would be ok with that, I am tired of dionte and the trenches are in need for major help

Edited by 3rivers