2022 draft talk

bucsfan333

41 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

So you're 100% certain Godwin will play a full season this year or even next? Considering he's been on IR the last 3 years with a multitude of injuries? Russell Gage is a lock to be a starter when he's been a fringe 3 the majority of his career? Corner, receiver, and DL/Edge are positions you can never have enough depth on. Plus our rookies aren't exactly going to be reliable to be a star in year 1. 

Last year's draft is a prime example taking a 3rd string QB in round 2 when you had pending free agents in 2022 at Corner, safety and interior OL. Paulson Adeebo was a perfect pick for us at 64 and we took a guy who was worse than Ryan Griffin last year. "But he would've been 4th on the depth chart" - actually he would've unseated Bunting and given us a stronger secondary with him, davis and Dean. 

Whatever the case with Godwin, it's still the deepest position on the team. WRs are a plenty these days. We only have Brate as a TE on the roster right now. And I'm more comfortable with relying on Godwins role, and the WRs in general, than relying on the Fournette, and the rest of the RBs. I'm also much more comfortable with the WRs, than the OL, and DL. So, those 4 positions, to me, take priority, and I'm sure there are great players in the draft, that can fill those needs. Plus, there's still the consensus that we're gonna run a little more than pass this year. 

2 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Whatever the case with Godwin, it's still the deepest position on the team. WRs are a plenty these days. We only have Brate as a TE on the roster right now. And I'm more comfortable with relying on Godwins role, and the WRs in general, than relying on the Fournette, and the rest of the RBs. I'm also much more comfortable with the WRs, than the OL, and DL. So, those 4 positions, to me, take priority, and I'm sure there are great players in the draft, that can fill those needs. Plus, there's still the consensus that we're gonna run a little more than pass this year. 

Like i said i'm not targeting a WR at 27 - but if you're about to make a selection and Kyler Gordon, Zion Johnson, or a first round edge rusher are off the board and you're faced with Travis Jones vs. Treylon Burkes &/or Jahan Dotson - I'm easily taking 1 of the two receivers over a travis jones. 

You list Cam Brate as the only TE - but whats the point of wasting a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE when there are better players at OL, Edge, CB and RB over any TE in this draft class in the first few rounds? Saying we only have Brate and McElory is one concern sure - but why waste draft capital on TE prospects who may not be worth it? 

Most make the same argument for QB's. Lions and Giants both need franchise callers yet they're most likely not to waste a top 5 pick on one bc it's a weaker class. Panthers not likely to reach for one either, neither are the Falcons nor Seahawks. Some only see Malik Willis as a first round talent. 

I still think where this draft is strong is in the secondary (mostly Corners), WR, OL, edge and RB. Leaving TE, DT, and QB positions that are lacking starting talent and quality depth. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

3 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Like i said i'm not targeting a WR at 27 - but if you're about to make a selection and Kyler Gordon, Zion Johnson, or a first round edge rusher are off the board and you're faced with Travis Jones vs. Treylon Burkes &/or Jahan Dotson - I'm easily taking 1 of the two receivers over a travis jones. 

You list Cam Brate as the only TE - but whats the point of wasting a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE when there are better players at OL, Edge, CB and RB over any TE in this draft class in the first few rounds? Saying we only have Brate and McElory is one concern sure - but why waste draft capital on TE prospects who may not be worth it? 

Ok so, I didn't say take a TE in the first round. That I'm always against. But right now I'd be more satisfied with that than taking a WR first round this draft. Which speaks volumes. The point is there are great players available at positions of need. It's just not smart to take "BPA" on the board, regardless of position. To me, if a Travis Jones is ranked early to mid 2nd round, in their book, I'd take him at 27. But that's with the rationale that the position isn't deep and we might not get a decent one in the 2nd round. Otherwise, take the best OL, or even RB (which I don't like taking RB in the first round either), but I think a Breece Hall would be a huge help in the receiving and running game.

The Trask pick was terrible, I said it at the time it's not a good idea to pick a QB in that draft. I also really wanted a guy like a Kenneth Gainwell or Demetric Felton last year. Which were available in the 3rd/4th round I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

Ok so, I didn't say take a TE in the first round. That I'm always against. But right now I'd be more satisfied with that than taking a WR first round this draft. Which speaks volumes. The point is there are great players available at positions of need. It's just not smart to take "BPA" on the board, regardless of position. To me, if a Travis Jones is ranked early to mid 2nd round, in their book, I'd take him at 27. But that's with the rationale that the position isn't deep and we might not get a decent one in the 2nd round. Otherwise, take the best OL, or even RB (which I don't like taking RB in the first round either), but I think a Breece Hall would be a huge help in the receiving and running game.

The Trask pick was terrible, I said it at the time it's not a good idea to pick a QB in that draft. I also really wanted a guy like a Kenneth Gainwell or Demetric Felton last year. Which were available in the 3rd/4th round I think. 

I was ok with the Hainsley pick last year. Solid depth and didnt have to play right away. But he had some injuries in camp and didn't see the field. If the Bucs pass on Zion Johnson for a Corner at 27 - then I feel they have the same confidence in him. I honestly can see Johnson being gone at 27 to be honest. I think with a weak draft at DT and QB - you can see a run on corners, receivers, and OL toward the end of the first round. 

Travis Jones is the same type of player as Vita Vea and Noches though - only he's not as good of a pass rusher as Vea or Noches and he's no where near as strong as Vea. Taking a guy at 27 who might be able to start in 3 years is a reach. He looks more like a depth piece. Last years class was also weak at DT hence we brought everyone back on the DL. I'm hoping we sign Suh back soon so we don't make the mistake of reaching. 

I don't disagree with you that we need some help on the DL. But i'd rather wait and get guys that are rotational players in round 3/4 than draft a rotational guy at 27 who may not even offer pass rushing presence. 

Same with TE - there really isn't a lot of confidence this class offers starting caliber potential. Why reach in the first two rounds? Get a back and corner early. If none are and a receiver has a first round grade available at 27 - I wouldn't hesitate to get a game changer there. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

3 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I was ok with the Hainsley pick last year. Solid depth and didnt have to play right away. But he had some injuries in camp and didn't see the field. If the Bucs pass on Zion Johnson for a Corner at 27 - then I feel they have the same confidence in him. I honestly can see Johnson being gone at 27 to be honest. I think with a weak draft at DT and QB - you can see a run on corners, receivers, and OL toward the end of the first round. 

Travis Jones is the same type of player as Vita Vea and Noches though - only he's not as good of a pass rusher as Vea or Noches and he's no where near as strong as Vea. Taking a guy at 27 who might be able to start in 3 years is a reach. He looks more like a depth piece. Last years class was also weak at DT hence we brought everyone back on the DL. I'm hoping we sign Suh back soon so we don't make the mistake of reaching. 

I don't disagree with you that we need some help on the DL. But i'd rather wait and get guys that are rotational players in round 3/4 than draft a rotational guy at 27 who may not even offer pass rushing presence. 

Same with TE - there really isn't a lot of confidence this class offers starting caliber potential. Why reach in the first two rounds? Get a back and corner early. If none are and a receiver has a first round grade available at 27 - I wouldn't hesitate to get a game changer there. 

So essentially what you're saying is there may not be anyone worth the 27th pick 😅, or at least not good value. You know better than me since you've studied the prospects. But, I'm in favor of "reaching" for a need.

Also, Brady will be influencing 90% of the draft so, I guess we gotta trust him.