How do you feel about Bill now?

Hunter2_1

Not a reactionary question, I'm just curious as to your answers to this question, as a staunch IBWT guy.

Since Tom left, we're 17-17.

- We tend to beat teams we should (Jets x 4, Jags, Raiders, Texans, Panthers, Browns)

- We tend to lose to teams you'd expect us to (Cowboys, Rams, Bills x3, Bucs etc).

- We've also had games where we've pulled out an upset or it's considered a good win (Chargers, Ravens, Bills x1, Titans possibly)

- We have the occasional wtf game (Dolphins, Saints, Texans, Broncos)

...I'm concerned 4 of the 17 wins are Jets.

We've had a clear shift to a more power-based offense, (we are 3rd in 2-1 personnel usage, one of only 6 teams that haven't used 0-1 (4WR) formation this season etc) at a time where you see teams like KC and Buffalo and LAR and Tampa and Cinci in the middle of the playoffs. Is this because of personnel we happen to have? Or has this been a clear purposeful shift...a zig whilst others zag?

We are ranked high on defense, statistically, and I do feel like our coaching in the secondary is elite. However, we can also be undone badly like Buffalo x2. Our front 7 have NOT been fixed, despite the acquisitions 

Won't mention drafting here much, but there's been some questionable picks. I do think the most recent draft is his best for a while though.....

I trust Bill, I think he's a genius. But is the NFL passing him by now? Has the zigging begin to look a bit silly? 

• I'm concerned that Bill won't bring on more coaches to the staff. They've had a huge brain drain over 20 years.. and he only promotes from within ( outside of a random college buddy). He can't split himself in a million directions, he needs help.. but if the people he brings on don't have a lot of experience, he isn't getting anywhere. 
  • I'm concerned about the dynamic between Mayo and Steve and Matty P .. Mayo wants to move up.. he's never going to move up here. Matty P is my least favorite DC they've had.. and I don't like him advising Steve on how to run the defense. I also don't like so many people telling the players what to do.. it sounds incredibly confusing. The best thing that could happen is Mayo getting a HC job and fully supporting Steve's gameplans 100%
  • I'm concerned about Ivan Fears retiring
  • I'm concerned about the draft and front office.. the Patriots aren't even good at drafting again ( 1 good year) and Ziegler / Wolf are already interviewing.. how can they build consistency this way? 

My biggest concern's aren't with BB directly.. it's with his supporting cast. He can't do everything, it diminishes his value to the team. He needs to be helping with the defense, hand over the office completely to Josh ( who hopefully makes some changes) and lets the front office do their thing with some guidance to what he wants done. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If they weren't beating the Jets and Jags and Texans this wouldn't even be a question then.

Irrelevant, they are. They aren't even dropping the occasional stinker against a bad team. They are mostly beating them handedly and never drop an L against one. That speaks TO the coaching. Then you look at some of the good team loses. There is a healthy amount of poor showings (the Bills) but also games that were a bounce away from wins (Cowboys and Bucs). 

Bottom line, beating who you are supposed to beat is a GOOD thing. Means we are one step away from real contention.  

• Like 1

Yeah the Pats handled business against poor teams but they have had some shaky showings in the last two years under Bill. Against a completely depleted Titans team this year they struggled until the very, very end when the score ended up not reflecting the competitiveness. The Texans beat the Patriots last season and almost again this season. The Jets almost beat them last season in their first matchup and hung around this season in their first matchup as well. Nevermind the Dolphins losses and other flat showings.

That said, 2021 was a much better year than 2020. But I think Bill has been hurting the team by not entrusting outside help in favor of his sons and recycled coaches like Patricia.

11 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Yeah the Pats handled business against poor teams but they have had some shaky showings in the last two years under Bill. Against a completely depleted Titans team this year they struggled until the very, very end when the score ended up not reflecting the competitiveness. The Texans beat the Patriots last season and almost again this season. The Jets almost beat them last season in their first matchup and hung around this season in their first matchup as well. Nevermind the Dolphins losses and other flat showings.

That said, 2021 was a much better year than 2020. But I think Bill has been hurting the team by not entrusting outside help in favor of his sons and recycled coaches like Patricia.

All that tells me is that the Patriots are just an above average team and I think that is exactly what they are. At least they are consistent. 

20 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Maybe, but right now it is a question. I am saying it wouldn't even be a question if some of these pushovers were losses.

I guess I am confused as to why you are saying it then? They beat those teams, so why maybe it's irrelevant? There is no question, they are beating the teams they should. Fact, in the bag, done deal. 

They beat those bad teams better than anyone in the league. To the point where it incredibly inflated their stats and made the offense/defense seem better than they were. 

Look at Buffalo and KC.. both had some bad loses this season. Had it not been for the special teams unit I would say that this season was a very good coaching performance ( even if they had more penalties than usual). 

I woudn't want anyone else as the HC to this team.. but I can say that he certainly needs help. They need more coaches with experience .. I'd be all for bringing back Judge to help out. 

• Like 1

Made the Wild Card one year after losing the greatest player in history and going into a complete rebuild. He's still the best coach in the league given the circumstances. A change in philosophy within some aspects of the game will help keep him at the top moving forward but he needs to attack and focus on them pronto.

Edited by Nex_Gen

Whatever happened to Chad O'Shea? I remember he was QB coach and Red Zone coordinator.. this team could certainly use a guy who focuses specifically on the red zone. 

He seemed to fall off the map after Flores fired him. I wonder about all of these guys who have left the organization with Flores / Judge that may be interested in coming back. 

11 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Whatever happened to Chad O'Shea? I remember he was QB coach and Red Zone coordinator.. this team could certainly use a guy who focuses specifically on the red zone. 

He seemed to fall off the map after Flores fired him. I wonder about all of these guys who have left the organization with Flores / Judge that may be interested in coming back. 

He is the WR coach and Passing Game Coordinator for the Browns