Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I really hope Byron Leftwich crushes his interview and is a finalist...if he proves he has the leadership skills there is no doubt Fields would be an exceptional fit in his offence...I also think BA will do just about anything to help this guy succeed and being able to lean on him for links to a staff would be massive.

• Like 2

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Didn't Dodds withdraw his name from a job or two last year? I'm not able to look at twitter right now but IIRC I read that last offseason. Maybe he's looking for a great team's GM to die or some s*** so he can take over a perfect situation

The beat writer for the Colts told the Athletic he is a scout at heart and wants to be on the road as much as possible...being a GM is way more than that and I get the impression that Dodds doesn't want to spend half his time in an office...fair play to him if that is the case and he knows it would make his miserable so until he finds a team who would be willing to let him do that and maybe have someone else for those mundane jobs he isn't going to take on another job.  

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Didn't Dodds withdraw his name from a job or two last year? I'm not able to look at twitter right now but IIRC I read that last offseason. Maybe he's looking for a great team's GM to die or some s*** so he can take over a perfect situation

It was for the Carolina job 

Anyone else getting a little concerned that we are heading in to Bruce Arians territory again? What I mean by that is sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer...it worries me that we aren't showing more interest in Schoen & Daboll...not saying they need to be the hire but at least bring them in for a 2nd interview based on the turn around in Buffalo and what they have done with Allen.

Jordan Raanan

@JordanRaanan

·

2h

The most encouraging thing to take from this Giants GM search: From what I've heard, they are offering carte blanche to candidates to reshape the organization. The Giants way of operating is about to change drastically no matter who is hired.

The Giants have always been the team that worried me the most and if this is true then it confirms it...they will get the best GM candidate over us because we won't give anyone that amount of power.

Eh.  Hoping they throw out the cover letters for everyone who sucks, and then get lucky picking the right guys.  Starting to think this is a lot like QB where luck and situation matter as much as your analysis process. 

Case in point, a whole lot of you (me) were high on Nagy, the only question was whether FeFillipo would be a good second choice... 

• Like 1

If I had to guess how this plays out I would say we go with Morocco Brown at GM and Matt Eberflus at HC…the way the beat guys have been talking about both gives the impression they know something we don’t…right from the start Hoge & Jahns have been all over Morocco…Eberflus apparently excelled in his interview to the point we are happy to bring him back for a 2nd interview without a GM in place…things are just lining up for that to be the way it goes…especially considering we don’t seem to have much interest in Schoen & Daboll…

If we don’t go that way a link that has been overlooked by many is Monti Ossenfort and Brian Flores…both of them worked in the Pats front office as scouts in 06-07 before Flores moved to the coaching side of things until 2019…during those years Ossenfort was still a scout/assistant director of college scouting then director of college scouting for the Pats until he left for Tennessee in 2020…Ossenfort reportedly really impressed in his interview.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Damn man...I am starting to think this guy doesn't want to be a GM...the beat writer from Indy said that and maybe it is true...

Brown interview tomorrow is now massive.

DaBearsblog is acting like they are in the room.

How can a GM interview go terribly I wonder?   They all have to be some measure of good I would think.  

I mean, I can't imagine he got stumped on a football job skill question.

Did he walk in and say who is that?  She is hot!   And it was McCaskey's granddaughter or something?

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

DaBearsblog is acting like they are in the room.

How can a GM interview go terribly I wonder?   They all have to be some measure of good I would think.  

I mean, I can't imagine he got stumped on a football job skill question.

Did he walk in and say who is that?  She is hot!   And it was McCaskey's granddaughter or something?

It wasn't DaBearsBlog who said he didn't believe Dodds really wanted a GM job...it was Stephen Holder who is a beat writer from the Athletic.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/27/why-matt-eberflus-right-man-turnaround-colts-defense/2420024002/

Lovie Smith is a big fan of Eberflus that’s for sure...would it be so bad to have a tougher Lovie on our hands? IMO it would be a major upgrade over the last three guys especially if he can nail the OC pick.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Mike Groh who is the WRs coach and used to have the same title with Bears under both Trestman's & John Fox's staffs

Another couple names to keep in mind are current pass game coordinator and tight ends coach for the LA Rams Wes Phillips and current Browns OL coach Bill Callahan who both overlapped with Eberflus in Dallas

Maybe Eberflus could convince Bill's son Brian Callahan of Bengals to take a real offensive coordinator job in Chicago vs staying put in Cincinnati where Zac Taylor calls the plays?

A young guy who is really up and coming who you missed off this list is current Iowa State OC Tom Manning...their offence has been really balanced and put up plenty of points since he took over in 2019...he has been nominated twice in three years for the Broyles Award…Indy and Toledo links there…I think his offence would be excellent for Fields skill set.

• Like 1