Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

@Madmike90For some reason I think Todd Bowles would be an outstanding hire for us here.

Question is: who would he bring in as his OC?

Any names jump out at you? Do we "poach" Ken Dorsey from Buffalo?

Clyde Christensen from Tampa?

Joe Philbin from Dallas?

Pep Hamilton from the Texans?

I struggle to get on board with the idea of a defensive head coach in todays NFL...the rules are so slanted towards offence I think that is the way too go...

His two OCs when he was HC of the Jets were Chan Gailey & John Morton...dear oh dear...

I get serious Lovie vibes from Bowles...would be an excellent HC with an excellent D but could never find that quality offensive mind and keep him.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

McVay had 9 years in the league and was a well-regarded offensive genius.

During two other coaching searches I had found myself interested in Josh McDaniels, but he always seems to make himself look like an ******* during the process (backing out from the Indy job as the latest).

Still a big call to take a guy as young as McVay to replace such an experienced HC...

I think on the surface McDaniels looks like that but when you dig into the fact that he found out Luck was going to have more surgery and was already talking about retiring...he didn't have full trust in Ballard as his GM...Kraft told him he would pay him like a HC & Belichick told him he would let him into the "bible" of coaching...you can see why that information would change a guys mind.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I struggle to get on board with the idea of a defensive head coach in todays NFL...

I get it but I think there's more to being a head coach than being a quality coordinator on either side of the ball.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

@Madmike90For some reason I think Todd Bowles would be an outstanding hire for us here.

Question is: who would he bring in as his OC?

Any names jump out at you? Do we "poach" Ken Dorsey from Buffalo?

Clyde Christensen from Tampa?

Joe Philbin from Dallas?

Pep Hamilton from the Texans?

AZ suggested O'Brien and i love the pairing. He had Watson playing at a high level and developed him as a passer. His terrible tenure as HC and the state of the Texans means no one will poach him from us. It is my favorite sneaky pairing. If we can drop Pace then Rick Smith can come in and hire his HC and then is able to connect Bowles with O'Brien. Lets get it. 

Philbin would be high on my list for sure though. I wrote on him a bit and he would be a hell of a hire IMO. 

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think you can compare Walmart who worldwide have 2.3 million people worldwide to 1 or the 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL...

When that comparison is only where I would choose not to work, it surely can.

What you fail to accept time after time Mike is that there may well be prospects who don't want the Bears job.  That's been my point all along.  My only point, and I'm quite sure there are also organizations for whom you would not work.

What's at issue here is you keep trying to sell me on your opinion and I'm not buying it.  You have every right to sell but I also have a right to choose not to buy. Besides you're selling the wrong guy. I'm not a Bears HC prospect.  Sell them.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

When that comparison is only where I would choose not to work, it surely can.

What you fail to accept time after time Mike is that there may well be prospects who don't want the Bears job.  That's been my point all along.  My only point, and I'm quite sure there are also organizations for whom you would not work.

What's at issue here is you keep trying to sell me on your opinion and I'm not buying it.  You have every right to sell but I also have a right to choose not to buy. Besides you're selling the wrong guy. I'm not a Bears HC prospect.  Sell them.

It would seem we are in the same boat then...

You say you wouldn't work for walmart but what job are you actually talking about? Do you mean as a store assistant or as a CEO? Because you seem to want to compare the lowest entry level coaching position to a head coaching one...I have never once said that every single coach would want to work for the Bears...however I will guarantee you more will than won't and we will walk away with one of the very top candidates.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It would seem we are in the same boat then...

You say you wouldn't work for walmart but what job are you actually talking about? Do you mean as a store assistant or as a CEO? Because you seem to want to compare the lowest entry level coaching position to a head coaching one...I have never once said that every single coach would want to work for the Bears...however I will guarantee you more will than won't and we will walk away with one of the very top candidates.

It's irrelevant Mike.  I wouldn't work for them period.  Not as a greeter, a cashier, a store manager, an exec VP, or the damn CEO job itself.  I'm pretty certain there are also positions you would not take with employers you could not support and I'm equally certain others here might well feel the same way. We have that right.

True (bold faced) but what you have said is that you believe the Bears HC job is one of if not THE most desirable opening that will be available this winter.  My response has been "maybe" but there will still be top prospects who will have their own reason for not wanting the job because it comes with the McCaskey curse AND Ted Phillips as the teams "overlord" and these people don't know football.

You want to resist my taking you back in time but tell me.  Other than possibly Dave Wannstadt what "hot prospect" has ever taken the job?  And me thinks Wanny did primarily because it also made him pseudo GM in all player personnel matters a position at which he was far worse than Pace and more on the level of Phil Emery.  In the 7 years Wanny was around the Bears were worse than Pace's seven years.

You may feel Nagy was the hottest of the hot prospects in 2018.  I don't agree but I will agree that he was one of the top four or five.  But the bottom line is throughout time we have seldom gotten the HC hire correct.  Lovie was about the closest we came in the McCaskey era and yet Teddy and GMcC allowed Emery to fire him after a 10-6 season and two years after he had us one game short of his 2nd SB appearance.  And Lovie Smith was not a hot prospect.

How have we done since?

Mike Ditka and Lovie Smith are the ONLY two HCs we've had during the McCaskey era who have left with winning records.   At best Nagy will probably have a .500 record and we're about to fire him.  The rest have all had losing records; Wanny/.417, Jauron/.438, Trestman/.406, Fox/.291 second only to Abe Gibron's .268.  It was directly after that when GHS hired Jim Finks as Exec VP.

Now, you may believe many will be interested but all that really counts is who we hire and our track record in that regard is abysmal. Tell me why you think that is. Give me your reasoning behind why our so called glamorous legacy franchise can't find their own Bill Bellichick, or Sean Payton, or Bill Parcells?  If we're the last stop on a SB bound train why aren't top prospects buying tickets?

I have asked you all kinds of questions like this but you dodge them or you answer obliquely with stuff like this; "however I will guarantee you more will than won't and we will walk away with one of the very top candidates."  That's strictly your opinion and you're entitled to it but it presents no more fact than TFG and his band of criminals have presented about election fraud. It's all just an opinion.

So.....you can't guarantee who'll be interviewed and who won't and who'll eventually be hired.  None of us can.  But going by past history we might be entitled to believe that the Bears will mess this up again because the same folks who been messing up since 1983 are still in charge and they haven't gotten any smarter or more football savvy over the years.  They can't even own well IMHO.

Edited by soulman

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

It's irrelevant Mike.  I wouldn't work for them period.  Not as a greeter, a cashier, a store manager, an exec VP, or the damn CEO job itself.  I'm pretty certain there are also positions you would not take with employers you could not support and I'm equally certain others here might well feel the same way. We have that right.

True (bold faced) but what you have said is that you believe the Bears HC job is one of if not THE most desirable opening that will be available this winter.  My response has been "maybe" but there will still be top prospects who will have their own reason for not wanting the job because it comes with the McCaskey curse AND Ted Phillips as the teams "overlord" and these people don't know football.

You want to resist my taking you back in time but tell me.  Other than possibly Dave Wannstadt what "hot prospect" has ever taken the job?  And me thinks Wanny did primarily because it also made him pseudo GM in all player personnel matters a position at which he was far worse than Pace and more on the level of Phil Emery.  In the 7 years Wanny was around the Bears were worse than Pace's seven years.

You may feel Nagy was the hottest of the hot prospects in 2018.  I don't agree but I will agree that he was one of the top four or five.  But the bottom line is throughout time we have seldom gotten the HC hire correct.  Lovie was about the closest we came in the McCaskey era and yet Teddy and GMcC allowed Emery to fire him after a 10-6 season and two years after he had us one game short of his 2nd SB appearance.  And Lovie Smith was not a hot prospect.

How have we done since?

Mike Ditka and Lovie Smith are the ONLY two HCs we've had during the McCaskey era who have left with winning records.   At best Nagy will probably have a .500 record and we're about to fire him.  The rest have all had losing records; Wanny/.417, Jauron/.438, Trestman/.406, Fox/.291 second only to Abe Gibron's .268.  It was directly after that when GHS hired Jim Finks as Exec VP.

Now, you may believe many will be interested but all that really counts is who we hire and our track record in that regard is abysmal. Tell me why you think that is. Give me your reasoning behind why out so called glamorous legacy franchise can't find their own Bill Bellichick, or Sean Payton, or Bill Parcells?  If we're the last stop on a SB bound train why aren't top prospects buying tickets?

I have asked you all kinds of questions like this but you dodge them or you answer obliquely with stuff like this; "however I will guarantee you more will than won't and we will walk away with one of the very top candidates."  That's strictly your opinion and you're entitled to it but it presents no more fact than TFG and his band of criminals have presented about election fraud. It's all just an opinion.

So.....you can't guarantee who'll be interviewed and who won't and who'll eventually be hired.  None of us can.  But going by past history we might be entitled to believe that the Bears will mess this up again because the same folks who been messing up since 1983 are still in charge and they haven't gotten any smarter or more football savvy over the years.  They can't even own well IMHO.

I find it difficult to believe anyone is passing up a multi-million dollar a year position to be a CEO for Walmart but okay then…

Your backwards thinking is what holds this franchise down because it is probably shared by the current ownership…Dave Wannstedt was hired in 1993…that is almost 30 years ago…how much has the NFL changed since then? It is completely irrelevant…hell how Lovie was hired is these days completely irrelevant…we need to be significantly more forward thinking in our approach to this and I can only hope that someone in that ownership recognises it…

And again I will stand by the statement that we will be THE most desirable HC job out there this offseason unless something crazy happens…you have provided nothing to suggest otherwise.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Your backwards thinking is what holds this franchise down because it is probably shared by the current ownership…Dave Wannstedt was hired in 1993…that is almost 30 years ago…how much has the NFL changed since then? It is completely irrelevant…hell how Lovie was hired is these days completely irrelevant…we need to be significantly more forward thinking in our approach to this and I can only hope that someone in that ownership recognises it…

First of all it's not my thinking it's simply fact and stated as fact.  No more, no less.  So in that regard it is relevant if only because it helps explain how we got to where we are no.

As for the rest you're preaching to the wrong choir Mike.  Don't tell me.  Tell GMcC and Teddy Bears how they need to start thinking and doing things differently.

They make the decisions and write the checks not me.  I don't disagree with you and whenever they eventually decide to do just that I'll be more than happy to acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I find it difficult to believe anyone is passing up a multi-million dollar a year position to be a CEO for Walmart but okay then…

No more difficult to believe that it would ever be offered but you're the one who brought it up so......you got my answer.  I'm not here to play "make believe" Mike.