Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We are making a pretty big assumption that Pace is gone...

Yeah.  I would not assume that at all.  The more logical assumption would be that Pace will be given an Exec VP/GM role as Teddy Bears becomes more involved with the Arlington property.

As for HC I'm still gonna beat a drum for Dave Toub until he gets ignored again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Yeah.  I would not assume that at all.  The more logical assumption would be that Pace will be given an Exec VP/GM role as Teddy Bears becomes more involved with the Arlington property.

As for HC I'm still gonna beat a drum for Dave Toub until he gets ignored again.

I've always liked Toub but have to wonder why he was never given a HC job after the interviews he's done over the years. 

I would have thought that Chris Ballard in Indy would have liked him for the Colts job before attempting to hire McDaniels and ultimately settling for Reich, since they knew each other well from both their Bears & Chiefs days, but he didn't even get a sniff of an interview which is a bit concerning.

Maybe he's just not a HC type? Who knows. 

• Like 1

I think it plays out like this

-Nagy is fired, because they simply have to feed someone to the wolves.

-They do an awkward mental gymnastics routine to keep Pace while mentioning Fields in every sentence.

-I think Pace limits the HC pool a little. I cannot see big time coaching candidates not wanting their personnel guy and Pace has baggage.

-I think we end up with an offensive coach who needs a shot. Pace knows fixing the offense is still critical. I think Greg Roman makes a ton of sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not assuming nothing with this regime.  I am not even assuming that Nagy will be gone until I see it.

Even though I think it's extremely unlikely we will make the playoffs, the fact that Bears are only 1 game out of a wild card right now makes me think that Nagy can somehow fluke his way back next season.  We cannot rule it out at this point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I've always liked Toub but have to wonder why he was never given a HC job after the interviews he's done over the years. 

I would have thought that Chris Ballard in Indy would have liked him for the Colts job before attempting to hire McDaniels and ultimately settling for Reich, since they knew each other well from both their Bears & Chiefs days, but he didn't even get a sniff of an interview which is a bit concerning.

Maybe he's just not a HC type? Who knows. 

I have no idea either other than the reason given in the article which relates to owners tending to shy away from ST guys in lieu of OC or DC types.  Personally I think it's stupid to be so narrow minded especially given the success John Harbaugh has had.

One strength of a guy like Dave Toub is is ability to field great ST units year after year even with the turnover those units often experience.  We know that he's well respected around the league but maybe he lacks to leadership traits or connections to build a staff.

I'd like to think neither are true but I can't really say.

I do believe there are quite a few very good prospects who are passed over each coaching go round just as there are very good players passed over in the draft because they don't meet the NFL profile for the position they'd be drafted for.  The NFL is very formula driven.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I'm still 50/50 on Pace...like I have always said he has done far more good than bad for us over the years...that said it is tough to give the ra ra "Ginny is Pissed" speech but then finish the next season looking significantly worse and still keep one of the two guys who ultimately that falls on...

I would be fine giving Pace another hire as he has really only had one so far however if a top top candidate gets his agent to communicate to ownership that he would only come here if he could bring his own personnel man and we feel that guy is qualified for the role then I would have no problem moving on and brining in a whole new mind set top to bottom.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think it plays out like this

-Nagy is fired, because they simply have to feed someone to the wolves.

-They do an awkward mental gymnastics routine to keep Pace while mentioning Fields in every sentence.

-I think Pace limits the HC pool a little. I cannot see big time coaching candidates not wanting their personnel guy and Pace has baggage.

-I think we end up with an offensive coach who needs a shot. Pace knows fixing the offense is still critical. I think Greg Roman makes a ton of sense.

I guess the question then becomes are you happy to limit the talent pool at HC to keep Pace?

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I guess the question then becomes are you happy to limit the talent pool at HC to keep Pace?

But didn't you take the position that Pace as GM and Teddy Bears as CEO and the McCaskeys as owners wouldn't limit the talent pool?  If that is in any way a concern it would need to be considered.

Or, if you do things the way the Bears always have you pay no attention to that and simply hire the only people who will work for you which is how we ended up with Emery/Trestman and quite possibly Pace/Fox as well.

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

But didn't you take the position that Pace as GM and Teddy Bears as CEO and the McCaskeys as owners wouldn't limit the talent pool?  If that is in any way a concern it would need to be considered.

Or, if you do things the way the Bears always have you pay no attention to that and simply hire the only people who will work for you which is how we ended up with Emery/Trestman and quite possibly Pace/Fox as well.

No that's not what I said...what I said was top candidates would be interest in coming here...now of course they can make their own demands...they have earned that right...just depends on if the ownership is willing to meet those demands...

The reason I am asking Windy is because it would seem he does feel the talent pool would be limited in guys who Pace would even interview to avoid candidates asking those questions of ownership.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No that's not what I said...what I said was top candidates would be interest in coming here...now of course they can make their own demands...they have earned that right...just depends on if the ownership is willing to meet those demands...

The reason I am asking Windy is because it would seem he does feel the talent pool would be limited in guys who Pace would even interview to avoid candidates asking those questions of ownership.

OK, thanks for the clarification Mike.  Me?  My thinking is more in line with Windy's.  I do believe our situation does and has limited the pool of those who will work for the Chicago Bears.

Now, how much more attractive the position is now that we actually have a QB who appears to be a kid who can become that franchise QB we've been lacking for 70 years I can't say.

But what I can say speaking only for myself is that if you want me to rebuild your team into a winner these are the levels of authority I will require.  Not go, no deal.  Get someone else.

Edited by soulman

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

OK, thanks for the clarification Mike.  Me?  My thinking is more in line with Windy's.  I do believe our situation does and has limited the pool of those who will work for the Chicago Bears.

Now, how much more attractive the position is now that we actually have a QB who appears to be a kid who can become that franchise QB we've been lacking for 70 years I can't say.

But what I can say speaking only for myself is that if you want me to rebuild your team into a winner these are the levels of authority I will require.  Not go, no deal.  Get someone else.

And we continue to disagree on this...for me we will be the best opening out there unless something unexpected happens...I suspect every coaching candidate will be interested to come here...just again depends on what demands we are willing to accommodate.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And we continue to disagree on this...for me we will be the best opening out there unless something unexpected happens...I suspect every coaching candidate will be interested to come here...just again depends on what demands we are willing to accommodate.

I think where we see this differently is I already assume there are those whose demands will not be met so I never see those prospects as viable candidates for hire anyway.  Whether it's money or control issues or both it's still a blockade that says to me "X" will never coach here. So cross them off the list.

Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective.

Let's say we have a Super Bowl caliber defense and a top shelf offense that only lacks a top NFL QB to take us there.  Do you honestly believe Aaron Rodgers would ever agree to play for Chicago? We may have the best opportunity in the NFL but there will still be those who don't want the job.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

I think where we see this differently is I already assume there are those whose demands will not be met so I never see those prospects as viable candidates for hire anyway.  Whether it's money or control issues or both it's still a blockade that says to me "X" will never coach here. So cross them off the list.

Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective.

Let's say we have a Super Bowl caliber defense and a top shelf offense that only lacks a top NFL QB to take us there.  Do you honestly believe Aaron Rodgers would ever agree to play for Chicago? We may have the best opportunity in the NFL but there will still be those who don't want the job.

I think using Rodgers who has publicly came out and said he would never play in Chicago is a loaded questions...no coaching candidate has ever said that which makes it an unfair comparison...

I would say that we should never cross anyone off the list before speaking to them...if Harbaugh or McDaniels came in for an interview and knocked it out the park but said they wanted their own personnel guy then ownership would be foolish to cross them off the list without serious consideration...we know ownership might not be the brightest but they are still smart enough to not just flat out say no right off the bat.