Packerraymond 2022 Mock Offseason V1

Packerraymond

No better way to start the playoff blues recovery than with a mock.

Trades: The Packers trade QB Aaron Rodgers and WR Davante Adams to the Denver Broncos for 2022 1st and 2nd round picks/ 2023 1st and 2nd round picks, TE Noah Fant and WR Jerry Jeudy : The end of an era, the AFC West becomes the Big 12, monster offenses and no defense, while the Packers get two offensive weapons on rookie deals for J-Lo and picks to rebuild a roster they'll soon be gutting.

Released/Not Re-Signed: Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Billy Turner, Randall Cobb, Mason Crosby, Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan, Chandon Sullivan, MVS, Oren Burks, Dennis Kelly.

Re-Structured/Extended: David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Jaire Alexander (extension) 

* Spotrac says I'm about 35 million under with these moves*

Re-Signed:  De'Vondre Campbell (3/30; 5m hit), Rasul Douglas (3/24; 5 mil hit), Lucas Patrick (2/5; 2 mil hit), Corey Bojorquez (3/10; 2mil hit), Kevin King (1/2.5), EQ St. Brown (1/1.5), Allen Lazard (2nd round tender), All ERFA's return.

*12-15 mil leftover*

Free Agency (all post draft signings in the week leading up to camp, do not factor in comp formula): QB Colt McCoy (1/2.5) , WR Zay Jones (1/2.5) , TE Lee Smith (1/1.5) ; K Joey Slye (1/1.5)

*7-10m for draft and carryover*

Round 1 (9): George Karlaftis 6'4 275 EDGE

School: Purdue

One thing I will continue to retain from the Mike Pettine era is his *****-kitty rushers. The power players work better in this environment than the speed benders. Karlaftis is just that, not as long as you'd like but a power player who incorporates MMA and boxing into his workout regiments to keep his hand game violent and sudden. Definitely some future 3-tech potential as well here in pressure packages which is a trait we look for. With no Smith Bros remaining, Karlaftis is penciled right into the lineup as the EDGE across from Rashan Gary. 

Round 1 (28): Daniel Faalele 6'9 380 RT

School: Minnesota

With Rodgers gone, LaFleur gets to run his offense, which is going to mean a lot more work for Jones and Dillon, more pre-snap motion and a pass game built around run game principles. Faalele is just a people mover, watching him on backside of zone is a thing of beauty, cutback and bounce-outs for days. He's unbeatable in the vertical set due to his size and length, unless he gives up the inside, there's no going through or around him. I was pretty against this guy until I popped on some All-22 cutups and a surprising amount of athletic ability for a guy his size, reminded me of Brown in LV. Think the era of the "dancing bear" converted TE to OT needs to die everywhere but LT in GB. Time to start getting some OL with functional athletic ability that can actually move people in the run game.

Round 2: Logan Hall 6'6 275 5T/EDGE

School: Houston

Hall played mostly 3T and even some nose at Houston, his NFL projection is going to land him on the OT, whether that be with some weight gain as a 5T or some weight loss and an EDGE, right now he's kind of in no-man's land. That used to be a dealbreak 10 years ago, but now we see length and pass rush traits, so Hall will be a coveted top 50 pick, so long as his post-season draft process goes as expected. He's got some explosive get off for a guy his size, and has some moves in his repertoire, like his swim move a lot. He plays with pretty sound leverage for a guy with height as well. Ultimately, we need to continue to get after the passer. Damn shame we only got to witness one game of Z, Preston, Gary and Mercilus, I'd like to make that caliber of rush the norm. 

Round 2: Wan'Dale Robinson 5'11 190 WR

School: Kentucky

Losing Adams will hurt, there's no way around it, he's one of the best to ever do it. We brought back Lazard to start outside and added Jeudy and Zay Jones, kept EQ for depth and ST play, but I'm not ready to turn the keys over to Amari in the slot when he showed next to nothing as a rookie. Hopefully an off-season does him well, but another YAC guy is needed in this offense. Hard not to look at a WR with a smaller RB build in a Kentucky uni and not see a young Randall Cobb. That's the skillset here. Think we're in another tier above Amari when it comes to athletic profile though. Wan'dale has some lower body flex that lets him cut at full speed, something I typically look for in my YAC guys, Amari is stiffer there and slows down in his breaks. Big staple of his offense is the quick game, ability to take a 3 yard catch and make it 9 yards. We'll need to hedge our bets on Amari and we do it here. If both hit, that's even better.

Round 3: Jeremy Ruckert 6'5 250 TE 

School: Ohio State

Ruckert will be tough to peg his draft stock until the Combine, was never more than a 4th-5th option at OSU with all their RB/WR talent, but he performed everything well when given a chance. HE blocks well, catches well, seems to be an above average athlete and looks comfortable in space. If the testing comes back better than expected, he's definitely a guy I could see going top 60 as a projection TE. I can see the TE becoming more of a focal point in the post Rodgers era, we add two pretty good ones in Fant and Ruckert to our arsenal. 

Round 4: Jalen Pitre 6'0 200 S

School: Baylor

Rest of the draft will be for depth and ST. Henry Black is a decent ST worth keeping around, but not as a 3rd S, he doesn't have the cover skills. Pitre is versatile, played all over the place at Baylor and has some blitzing and ball skills that will make him a valuable 3rd safety. Don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to bring it on ST either.

Round 4 (comp): Troy Andersen 6'4 235 ILB

School: Montana State

Started in 2018 as a dual threat QB, switched to RB, then switched to LB. Really intriguing athlete who needs some time as a ST ace while learning more of the nuances of the defensive side of the ball. Takes on Burks' role as the 3rd ILB for us, core ST, probably can cover some EDGE duties in time too just like Burks.

Round 5: Matt Henningsen 6'3 290 DL 

School: Wisconsin

Replaces Lancaster with a guy that's got a little more move skills if he gets stuck out there in some no-huddle pass situations. Hopefully if he gets put on the line on FG/PAT, he can manage to get his hands on someone.

Round 7 (Cobby trade): Max Borghi 5'9 190 RB/RS 

School: WSU

A poor man's C-Mac, like really poor/Dollar Tree. I don't ever see him as more than a gadget guy, but he could be our returner we've long waiter for.

Round 7: Brock Hoffman 6'3 310 IOL 

School: Virginia Tech

Late round developmental IOL prospect, he's play OG and center, and has a few dozen snaps at RT. Battles CVL and Jake Hanson for OL #9.

Round 7 (Comp): Emeka Emenzie 6'3 210 WR

School: NC State

Typical late round, productive WR. Big body, strong routes, good hands, margin athletic ability and ability to win on the ISO route. This offense seems to like guys like this, so we bring another in to camp.

2022 Camp Depth Chart (Not a final 53, just those battling for a spot)

QB: Love - McCoy - Benkert - Etling

RB: Jones - Dillon - Hill - Taylor - Borghi

WR: Jeudy - Lazard - Jones - EQ - Rodgers - Robinson - Winfree - Taylor - Emenzie

TE: Fant - Ruckert - Smith - Degaura - Dafney - Davis

OL: Bakh - Jenkins - Myers - Runyan - Faalele - Newman - Patrick - Nijman - CVL - Hanson - Hoffman

DL: Clark - Lowry - Hall - Slaton - Henningsen 

EDGE: Gary - Karlaftis - Garvin - Tipa  (Hall)

ILB: Campbell - Barnes - Andersen - Summers 

CB: Alexander - Stokes - Douglas - King - JSC - Ento 

S: Amos - Savage - Pitre - Black - Scott 

K: Slye - Molson - UDFA

P: Bojo

LS: Wirtel - bunch of UDFA's

That was painful, still think this team could win 8-9 games. There's probably 40 mil in dead cap there, and we're looking like 40-50 mil more in cap space becoming available in 2023. That roster would go into the 23 season with 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 70 million in cap. If Love is good, the rebuild won't take long.

• Like 7

Haven't looked much at the draft prospects this year, but I just want a dominant 5T to put next to Clark. Every year we get embarrassed by a dominant DL. Don't like drafting a tackle high. We've made it work time and time again with late round gems on the OL. Rather focus on beefing up the front 7. 

Edited by NavyGuy

3 minutes ago, NavyGuy said:

Haven't looked much at the draft prospects this year, but I just want a dominant 5T to put next to Clark. Don't like drafting a tackle high. We've made it work time and time again with late round gems on the OL. Rather focus on beefing up the front 7. 

We've been eliminated the last two playoffs due to OL play, and it adversely affecting our QB and run game. I don't really care that we get by in the regular season, playoff teams have rushers. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

We've been eliminated the last two playoffs due to OL play, and it adversely affecting our QB and run game. I don't really care that we get by in the regular season, playoff teams have rushers. 

We were missing 2 all pro OL and a rookie center with a torn knee with do that. Turner is a damn fine RT playing on a discount. Meanwhile we're trotting JAGs out at 5T. 

1 minute ago, NavyGuy said:

We were missing 2 all pro OL and a rookie center with a torn knee with do that. Turner is a damn fine RT playing on a discount. Meanwhile we're trotting JAGs out at 5T. 

When you pull out that 5T to put in an EDGE in your pressure package, all you need is "JAG." What Lowry did for us in that spot this year is entirely all we need from that role. He'd have been subbed out for Z much more on passing downs had we avoided injuries there. 

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Could you explain how you traded Adams? Were all your cuts able to put you far enough under to franchise Davante?

If so, that would mean that the two firsts you got from the trade were for Adams, so Rodgers was traded for two 2nds, Fant and Jeudy?

Tag and trade, not signed off the franchise tag itself. The cuts and extensions/re-structures should fit the tag, and then we get it all back post trade.

If I had to break it down, probably a 1,1,2,Fant for Rodgers and 2, Jeudy for Adams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Love it, but unfortunately the Packers will get cold feet on trading Rodgers and will sign him to a new 3 year deal.

Don't see Rodgers wanting to come back personally. Best case we have the talent of the 2015-2017 Packers, which required him to be a superhero to win playoff games. Don't think he wants that. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I feel like EDGE is overrated in this era of football.

I could be wrong, I probably am, but I feel like unless you’re getting a top three EDGE, you might as well be getting a top 20 EDGE, and that IDL is kinda eclipsing EDGE in today’s NFL.

Most teams need one stud IDL (Clark) and then sub out the other to bring another hybrid player in. Especially the way our current regime is fixated on the 260+ lb EDGE. They slide into the 3-5T role in the pressure package. Once you have your one stud at IDL, accumulating EDGE rushers is far more important. 

• Like 1

I can't disagree with anything you've done but two minor points. I've seen Karlaftis sliding down boards. I don't think he's going to test well at the combine. He'd be the kind of guy who could slide inside like Z did though. I love the idea of a tackle at 28, but not enamored with the guy there. If you extend Turner and push most of his money into future years you could avoid having to take a T at 28. Other possibility is you roll with Nijman until Jenkins is back and he takes over at RT. Otherwise, love a Nakobe Dean, LB Georgia there or possibly Devonte Wyatt, DT Georgia. 

Not a fan of trading Rodgers and Adams in same deal, but you got good value. My thought was more value separately, but I could be wrong about that.

Love Joey Slye's leg, it's health and accuracy with him that is a concern. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Tag and trade, not signed off the franchise tag itself. The cuts and extensions/re-structures should fit the tag, and then we get it all back post trade.

If I had to break it down, probably a 1,1,2,Fant for Rodgers and 2, Jeudy for Adams. 

Sorry, I still don't follow. The transition tag? I don't recall ever seeing a tag and trade player

Edit: So I think I understand. Franchise Tag Adams, who doesn't count against the cap until the season. So trading him for whatever you can get for him. Then remove the tag.

Edited by pgwingman
I think I understand.

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Sorry, I still don't follow. The transition tag? I don't recall ever seeing a tag and trade player

there are 3 different tags that can be used

• franchise tag
    • exclusive -- 1 year value at the average of top 5 at player position or 120% of prior salary.  player cannot negotiate with other teams
    • non-exclusive -- 1 year value at the average of top 5 at player position or 120% of prior salary BUT player is able to negotiate with other teams on a longer term contract.  Original team has right to match a contract offer or receive 2 first round picks 
  • transition tag -- original team has right to match a contract offer, if the team does not match, there is no compensation to the original team