49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

13 hours ago, Dutchson said:

I'm torn. I want an extended window of Super Bowls, and starting Trey from the jump and getting the worst bumps out of the way would expedite Trey's window with the team...Jimmy's window with the team was in full effect this year. 28 teams wished they could be where we were. I don't think we make the playoffs with Trey in 2021. Hopeful for 2022 though. 

Trey had to unequivocally beat out Jimmy as a rookie in camp for this thing not to become a sideshow. While I understand most wanted Trey to start from jump and take his lumps as a rookie, we had too many vets that came here to win now. You would have basically been punting the season starting a rookie. BUT if that rookie was clearly the best option, you dont lose the lockeroom and morale stays high. Just can't hand him the keys without him being the best option at the position and only looking at it as a long-term move. You really run the risk of alienating alot of the vets who are trying to win. You can't tell me making the NFCCG didn't mean anything to a guy like Trent Williams, who has had little post season success during his career. The little playoff run we had doesn't happen w/o everyone buying into the team and rallying behind Jimmy. And that only happens when you can clearly see that he gave us the best opportunity for success this year, warts and all.

Now some might say we still could have made the playoffs with Lance starting as a rookie. Not sure I believe that. He looked like a 21 year old rookie in his two starts. Showed potential no doubt, but I just didn't see a kid capable of navigating us through grueling 17 game slate and getting us to the playoffs.

I think it played out about as good as possible for all parties involved. Lance got some gametime reps and understands what it takes to perform at this level. He has an entire off-season to hone in and be ready to take the league by storm in 2022. Jimmy got to display the ability to lead and galvanized a offense. He also may have increased his trade value to those looking for a signal caller in 2022. We as fans got to see the vast potential of Lance while also viewing a postseason run that probably doesn't happen w/o Jimmy at the helm. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

McGlinchey no doubt was having his best pass blocking season and I don't even care if his run blocking was not up to par because we all know that is one area he has been elite in. So that would have eventually flipped. Saying that, I still can't see him getting his second contract with us. You just can't allocate THAT much of your salary cap on your bookends. And is that even smart way to build a football team? 

Did we not just have this EXACT conversation a few days ago here? Lol, literally word to word basically.

It's true though, almost impossible for any of the top corners to really shut these top WRs down anymore...or top offenses. Too much talent and the way teams spread you out, makes it extremely difficult to stop these guys because they will get their single match up and then it's going to be hell to stop them. Dating back to the Niners game in week 18, Ramsey allowed over 360 yards in 5 games. This is the man seen as the best in the business. Back in the day, some corners like Nnamdi and others wouldn't even allow that for the entire season. Now a days? This is what happens. Don't even think we will see the type of season Gilmore had in 2019 repeated all that much more often. I still think there is value to getting a top corner but just know it is not the end all, be all. I love JC Jackson but even he was getting beat in that playoff game against the Bills. Our strategy of taking these corners in the 3rd round with good physical tools is not that bad of an idea. Since the Harbaugh days we have taken Culliver, Ahkello and Thomas in the 3rd round. All fairly similar built and you just trust good coaching will make them solid contributors. Culliver gave us a few very good seasons, Ahkello flashed but wasn't consistent though you can see the vision there and he was absolutely lights out in the 2nd half of the season with the Steelers this season and then Thomas came on late. It's not the worst of strategies to have since it's such a tough position with a lot of inconsistent play. I like what we have been doing and then signing veteran corners like Rogers, Verrett and Sherman have paid dividends as well. Will be interesting to see what we do this upcoming draft, but I don't see us drafting a corner in the 2nd round even if we have multiple picks in that round. This team will draft in the trenches and then go DB in round 3 I'm guessing. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McGlinchey no doubt was having his best pass blocking season and I don't even care if his run blocking was not up to par because we all know that is one area he has been elite in. So that would have eventually flipped. Saying that, I still can't see him getting his second contract with us. You just can't allocate THAT much of your salary cap on your bookends. And is that even smart way to build a football team? 

Yeah, that would have righted itself. That injury is brutal though, really hinders our ability to trade him and if we aren't going extend him, that means we either pay him 11 million htis year, or we restructure with void years that will just hit next season (not a fan of that ideal).

I'd have offered him to the Falcons for Ridley lol. Both guys on fifth year options, McG would be a big help to that team with regards to that offensive line given how bad it is. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, that would have righted itself. That injury is brutal though, really hinders our ability to trade him and if we aren't going extend him, that means we either pay him 11 million htis year, or we restructure with void years that will just hit next season (not a fan of that ideal).

I'd have offered him to the Falcons for Ridley lol. Both guys on fifth year options, McG would be a big help to that team with regards to that offensive line given how bad it is. 

Definitely, and if McGlinchey can pass block how he did in 2021 and get back to his usual dominant self in the run game? Dude becomes one of the best RTs in the game bar none. So he has value but we just don't know with his injury. And the scary part is we haven't heard anything on how he has been recovering since he had surgery months ago? I would have loved trading him for someone like Ridley. But honestly man, we have enough weapons as it is. We don't throw enough to even take advantage of what we have lol. 

The future of the OL is scaring me a little, can't even lie. I so hope Moore or Banks or both end up being solid players. If not? We are in trouble! 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I fully expect Mcglinchey to start the year on PUP. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Go get a damn 2nd rounder and just move on.

First rounder? Are you freaking kidding me?? You have this man saying we want a 1st rounder and Kawakami projecting trading him for a 2022 4th rounder and a 2023 4th rounder that can become a 2nd rounder. Lawd.....lol.

We could package our second rounder or the third rounder we got for McDaniel to get into the first IMO. I don’t think it’s that ludicrous that we send Jimmy and a third for #20 or our second and Jimmy for #11. I mentioned packaging Jimmy and picks to get back into the first last year and would still be cool with that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

We could package our second rounder or the third rounder we got for McDaniel to get into the first IMO. I don’t think it’s that ludicrous that we send Jimmy and a third for #20 or our second and Jimmy for #11. I mentioned packaging Jimmy and picks to get back into the first last year and would still be cool with that. 

You would have to package the 2nd rounder to get a 1st rounder, even a low 1st rounder at that.

Definitely not something I'm opposed to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You would have to package the 2nd rounder to get a 1st rounder, even a low 1st rounder at that.

I forgot how late we were picking in the 2nd tbh. I was still thinking about last year when we were at 12. but yeah. Even to move up from pick 61 to 20 would be a big win IMO and would put Jimmy's value at a high 2nd round pick according to the draft trade value chart. What it really comes down to, is who wants him and how bad do they want him. I'm hoping a team goes all in on him and jacks up the price, but i'm not holding my breath on that either. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'd just take a second this year. I don't find any real value in this specific draft in moving up 30 spots in this draft (in a vacuum)

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I'd just take a second this year. I don't find any real value in this specific draft in moving up 30 spots in this draft (in a vacuum)

How about for the C you said is a potential top 6 player in the draft?

I'm fine either way because if we need to trade down and get more picks, that's also an option.

But if we get a 2nd rounder for Jimmy? I am perfectly fine with that. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How about for the C you said is a potential top 6 player in the draft?

I'm fine either way because if we need to trade down and get more picks, that's also an option.

But if we get a 2nd rounder for Jimmy? I am perfectly fine with that. 

If he falls I'd be all in, but that's a big if. I think he still goes top twenty

• Like 1

Linderbaum and Sauce Gardner are who I'd really want to get into 1 for at this point. I think both could go around 10 so it's probably a non-starter, but if someone like Washington got desperate and we could get 11, I'd be all in. I'm ok with a 2 like you both are, but if we have the chance at one of those two players, sign me up. Another interior guy I'd target if we got up to 20 would be Kenyon Green if he was still around.

• Like 1