49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I am all for Gilmore on a 2-3 year deal. He would really solidify our corner depth and let us take a few swings in later rounds/sign UDFAs who are developmental guys and just see what sticks on the back end of the roster. Eman is only signed for one more season. Trey is on his rookie deal so it makes sense to bring in a 2-3 year rental at a premium position to help take this defense to another level. So considering we are officially in "win now" mode, and from a roster building standpoint, it makes a ton of sense. Gilmore is worth pushing the envelope of the salary cap for.

I will say though, in a general sense I stay away from FA CBs from NE and SEA. Pete and Bill are the corner whisperers and idk many guys who went on to replicate their success away from those teams. Gilmore and Jackson are probably the exception to that though. 

You are absolutely correct about this defense needing to create takeaways. It was a problem previously, but they did a great job of that at the end of the season though. With this regime/iteration of our defense going back to 2018ish - there have always been a lot of opportunities for takeaways but they wouldnt get the bounce and would also miss some layups. 

I always say that takeaways are contagious, and in the second half of this season, the defense was getting multiple a game. People hate on Norman but he did lead the league in forced fumbles last year and didnt even go to training camp. I felt like that sparked something for us. All of a sudden everyone else started getting some. 

Guys like Fred and Ward, who are two of the most sound coverage players in the entire league across any position, have made takeaways a point of emphasis in their training. They have both talked about it. Fred especially has started to punch the ball dozens of times a game. Doesnt always force a fumble but its worth giving up an extra yard or two sometimes to try and get the ball back. That one he had against GB was absurdly timely. It honestly flipped the whole game. 

Ambry seems to have good ball skills. He dropped a couple early while he was still gaining his footing in the league, but once he got comfortable, he got very good at playing the ball in the air. I think we could give him help over the top and let him sit on some underneath routes and try and jump quick passes. Quick passes are one way teams have attacked us to negate the pass rush. Ambry has long arms and is a smooth athlete. He can beat a WR to a spot when he comes hard downhill and get his hands on the ball

I think part of the reason we havent gotten a lot of INTs from corners we have drafted is because we havent spent super premium draft capital on them. Eman was a UDFA. He is a super sound tackler and seemingly always has good leverage for his coverage assignment. Its hard to be mad at a lack of splash plays when a dude is just so fundamentally sound.

So basically all of this is to say that I think the core of this defense is maturing to a point where the takeaways are going to happen more frequently. The defense was built on good coverage and a lethal pass rush and sometimes it literally is just a matter of having the ball bounce correctly, ie Jimmie Ward's INT in the NFCCG

I'm torn on Gilmore, I kind of want to go after him, I just hope we can get him for a reasonable price tag, I don't see them spending more than $10M a yr on a vet CB, they spent $9.05M a yr on Sherman, it could have been $13.05M a yr with incentives, now, if Gilmore is willing to take incentives, on a 3yr or even 4yr deal, say $10M a year base value, up to $14M or $15M a yr with incentives, as a guy who I think will be 31 or 32, I'd be good with that, if not, I'd like a Levi Wallace or Charvarius Ward for like $6M-$8M a yr range.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah but turnovers are a fickled stat in terms of CBs. Granted neither Ward nor Tartt are ballhawks, I can live with that, given what they give me elsewhere. 

Ints are great and all but I feel like sometimes the ball bounces for you and against you. We create enough fumbles/PDs that the lack of turnovers don't have me overly concerned.

Jimmy is in our rearview (hopefully). Needing extra possessions shouldn't be as important with Lance under center. His ability to produce explosive plays and extending drives with his legs should boost our PPG. Of course you always want as many turnovers as possible but it's something I don't ever want to count on to help generate scoring opportunities.

Generating turnovers is always going to be important...Even without generating INTs, Gilmore will have a lot of value but I think some guys just make plays and he's one of those players. 

After a long day, I just sat down and watched anything I could find with Brian Griese on YouTube. Mostly with Dan Patrick and I came away feeling impressed with Brian. He isn't only experienced as a QB but he's cultured from the day he was born as a QB. it's ingrained in him because of his dad. Interesting little random info is that when he was a kid he would sit in on Don Shula's QB meetings.

But the big thing that I'm excited about is that he understands how the league is going with the QB position athleticism, arm talent, improvising with your legs outside of the pocket to create plus plays ala Mahomes/Allen.

He isn't just going to any team for any random QB. It had to be under the right coach for the right player. It's very thought out as to why he is doing this now Because he will get the credit for Lance blooming but also the blame if he fails. Now can he communicate and teach Lance is the question for me. I'd guess that Kyle wouldn't hire him without figuring out all the questions for a guy who's never coached. I think this can turn into a great hire, it's for sure outside the box but he has things that other QB coaches don't have that can help Trey with real QB EXPERIENCE specifically in this scheme. I want to hear from Kyle about this hire I'm curious about his thinking on it, as I'm guessing as we all are. 

One thing we need to think about this offseason is that it's going to be about Trey Lance in every aspect of offense from coaching, FA, Draft extensions anyway that will help Lance develop and succeed. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

From Jeremy Fowler: 

"Charvarius Ward: He has emerged as a key player in the cornerback market and should be paid quite well. Expect the Chargers and San Francisco 49ers to be interested, among others. He might not be paid as much as, say, a J.C. Jackson or Carlton Davis. But don't be surprised if he's awfully close."

I mean if he's going to get paid close to that, then what is the argument of signing Ward over Gilmore.. Who dare I say it may come a bit cheaper? 

A landing spot for Garoppolo?

The wildest rumor I heard this week? Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo potentially pairing with New Orleans. This would be a surprise since many around the league expect Jameis Winston to return to the Saints. But if Rodgers and Wilson aren't moved, Garoppolo becomes one of the top options available. Maybe New Orleans at least kicks this idea around. -- Fowler

I thought this was a good fit for him, especially if Payton was still the HC. But they may be running a similar system? I guess my question is what trade for Jimmy when you can sign Winston for cheaper and not give up any picks? Fear of Winston's ACL not recovering at the start of the season? 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Jeremy Fowler: 

"Charvarius Ward: He has emerged as a key player in the cornerback market and should be paid quite well. Expect the Chargers and San Francisco 49ers to be interested, among others. He might not be paid as much as, say, a J.C. Jackson or Carlton Davis. But don't be surprised if he's awfully close."

I mean if he's going to get paid close to that, then what is the argument of signing Ward over Gilmore.. Who dare I say it may come a bit cheaper? 

Age is the one that sticks out immediately. Looks like he’s only played one full season himself, but for me durability is a big concern for Gilmore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Age is the one that sticks out immediately. Looks like he’s only played one full season himself, but for me durability is a big concern for Gilmore. 

Age works in our favor here as if he was two years younger, we wouldn't have a chance in signing him. 

I get the durability concern but he was pretty durable in NE before getting hurt in 2020. 

Give me Gilmore! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Jeremy Fowler: 

A landing spot for Garoppolo?

The wildest rumor I heard this week? Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo potentially pairing with New Orleans. This would be a surprise since many around the league expect Jameis Winston to return to the Saints. But if Rodgers and Wilson aren't moved, Garoppolo becomes one of the top options available. Maybe New Orleans at least kicks this idea around. -- Fowler

I thought this was a good fit for him, especially if Payton was still the HC. But they may be running a similar system? I guess my question is what trade for Jimmy when you can sign Winston for cheaper and not give up any picks? Fear of Winston's ACL not recovering at the start of the season? 

Jimmy to NO, was my first pick as a place that’d make sense and one Jimmy may want to go to. I, like you, thought it made more sense when Payton was there. It seems like NO has got a ways to go on their cap before they could make a move like that though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Age works in our favor here as if he was two years younger, we wouldn't have a chance in signing him. 

I get the durability concern but he was pretty durable in NE before getting hurt in 2020. 

Give me Gilmore! 

I'd love Gilmore and all, but at 31/32, injury concerns, I'm not keen on giving him $15M a yr, or more than $10M a yr base, like I said earlier, I'd be ok with an incentive laden deal where he can get up to $14M-$15M a yr, but his market would have to be bad for him to take that.

I'd be good with either Ward or Wallace, Ward is 26, Wallace 27, much younger than Gilmore.

19 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Jeremy Fowler also adds that #49ers’ LG Laken Tomlinson is going to be one of the top guards on the market and could potentially start a bidding war. 

Vikings, Steelers, Jets, Panthers and Bengals are all interested.

This is to be expected. That's why I found that the delay in starting the contract negotiations was so curious. Worst case scenario if we wanted to retain him was that he actually make it to market. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is to be expected. That's why I found that the delay in starting the contract negotiations was so curious. Worst case scenario if we wanted to retain him was that he actually make it to market. 

Bengals make a lot of sense and they have the money to go over the top to get him. 

We really need Banks to take the next step and be a contributor next season. 

• Like 3

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bengals make a lot of sense and they have the money to go over the top to get him. 

We really need Banks to take the next step and be a contributor next season. 

If I were the Bengals, I'm going to trade for Tunsil and then sign Tomlinson. Those two things would be huge. Then they can focus everything else they need to on the defense. 

Just now, Forge said:

If I were the Bengals, I'm going to trade for Tunsil and then sign Tomlinson. Those two things would be huge. Then they can focus everything else they need to on the defense. 

Yep, that would be very smart for them. Easy way to fix the OL....Well, at least a quick way to improve it.

If we lose out on Tomlinson, then no excuse not to get one of the top corners in the free agency class. 

• Like 2