2022 NFL Scouting Combine - March 1st thru 7th

MikeT14

23 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Here's who we met with at the combine. Most of the QBs!

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

• Treylon Burks, Wide Receiver, Arkansas (COM)
  • Matt Corral, Quarterback, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Christian Harris, Outside Linebacker, Alabama (COM)
  • Sam Howell, Quarterback, North Carolina (COM)
  • Chad Muma, Inside Linebacker, Wyoming (COM)
  • Desmond Ridder, Quarterback, Cincinnati (COM)
  • Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty (COM)

Rivera (without saying his name) likely mentioned some content from their meeting with Treylon Burks, citing a WR who had “60-some catches and like 10 of them were for TDs.”

Was within the context of explaining the sort of responsibility-taking response they appreciate from prospects during the interviews. Evidently they asked him about a drop and instead of blaming anyone else, he owned it, said it was a terrible drop, highlighted the other stuff he did well on the play, and closed by saying that’s not the level he expects to play to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Rivera (without saying his name) likely mentioned some content from their meeting with Treylon Burks, citing a WR who had “60-some catches and like 10 of them were for TDs.”

Was within the context of explaining the sort of responsibility-taking response they appreciate from prospects during the interviews. Evidently they asked him about a drop and instead of blaming anyone else, he owned it, said it was a terrible drop, highlighted the other stuff he did well on the play, and closed by saying that’s not the level he expects to play to. 

Nice catch E. 

@taylor made

Would have been nice to pick Christian Darisaw and Nick Bolton. Hindsight is 20/20 though. I don't think Rivera & Co. did a bad job, but I don't think they are good drafters either.

@turtle28

It also speaks to a big concern for me of Rivera & company’s inability to recognize & develop talent. I understand Jamin has all this athleticism & potential, but it’s Bolton who was way ahead mentally and ready to be a starter in the NFL. If Rivera had selected Bolton, our D probably would’ve been much better.

Good points. Wish we had a good scout to go out and find a qb and a good coaching staff to develop our own Qb just like Gibbs did. It always worked for Joe and Bobby. The kind of blue collar working man type of QB with a good supporting cast around him. Find and develop your own QB and use a bridge until the youngster is ready. The need to draft better in later rds also is very paramount also. Now we have made some good picks in recent yrs but we lack a good draft from the top down combined with consistently finding FA talent like Gary Clark just to name a few. Our scouting department needs improvement on a regular basis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

@taylor made

Would have been nice to pick Christian Darisaw and Nick Bolton. Hindsight is 20/20 though. I don't think Rivera & Co. did a bad job, but I don't think they are good drafters either.

@turtle28

It also speaks to a big concern for me of Rivera & company’s inability to recognize & develop talent. I understand Jamin has all this athleticism & potential, but it’s Bolton who was way ahead mentally and ready to be a starter in the NFL. If Rivera had selected Bolton, our D probably would’ve been much better.

Good points. Wish we had a good scout to go out and find a qb and a good coaching staff to develop our own Qb just like Gibbs did. It always worked for Joe and Bobby. The kind of blue collar working man type of QB with a good supporting cast around him. Find and develop your own QB and use a bridge until the youngster is ready. The need to draft better in later rds also is very paramount also. Now we have made some good picks in recent yrs but we lack a good draft from the top down combined with consistently finding FA talent like Gary Clark just to name a few. Our scouting department needs improvement on a regular basis.  

I think Rivera let that guy go out the door in Kyle Smith so he could hire yes men in Hurney & Mayhew. I guess it remains to be seen, they’ve only had one draft so far and when Mayhew was in Detroit he built a playoff team & helped build San Fran’s roster.

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think Rivera let that guy go out the door in Kyle Smith so he could hire yes men in Hurney & Mayhew. I guess it remains to be seen, they’ve only had one draft so far and when Mayhew was in Detroit he built a playoff team & helped build San Fran’s roster.

I think Snyder also wanted Kyle gone after Kyle ripped into him and the rest of the draft room after they told him the pick would be Haskins (and he had been 180 degrees from drafting Haskins) instead of the guys they had on the board.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think Snyder also wanted Kyle gone after Kyle ripped into him and the rest of the draft room after they told him the pick would be Haskins (and he had been 180 degrees from drafting Haskins) instead of the guys they had on the board.

What’s funny is I wanted KOC and Kyle Smith. People said KOC wasn’t ready and here we are. He’s a headcoach. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

What’s funny is I wanted KOC and Kyle Smith. People said KOC wasn’t ready and here we are. He’s a headcoach. 

Same. While I've been wrong before, it's getting maddening watching what I've predicted become reality and have people poo poo it (or call my fandom into question) as I predict it and then try to memory-hole it (or downplay it) afterward as if it was a forgone conclusion from the jump.

• Like 1

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Same. While I've been wrong before, it's getting maddening watching what I've predicted become reality and have people poo poo it as I predict it and then try to memory-hole it (or downplay it) afterward.

The work he did with Haskins should’ve been enough to give him the job. Smiths drafts were talent-laden up and down the rounds. Now we’ve got the former failed GM crew and a coach with 3 winning seasons in 12 years running a mediocre operation. People can crush me all they want but that Jamin Davis selection is what I expected from these dummies. It will be more of them same with them running this organization. 

Imagine basically admitting you would’ve picked a different guy had they been able to interview the prospects on site last year. Just mind blowing. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, e16bball said:

Who do you blame for a drop? "Yah man, the punter sneezed on the sideline and it startled me!"

I think any of them would blame themselves for a dropped ball caught on film where it hit them right in the hands.

Not sure this makes them eligible for standup guy of the decade. It seems pretty bare minimum for not being a punk.

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

True, that’s prob more of the reason Kyle was gone. Kyle does have some of his dad in him, AJ, who was a known *rick who clashed with Marty Schottenheimer.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

What’s the funniest is that you and I wanted Kyle & KOC & also Haskins! That’s just freaking hilarious 🤣 

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The work he did with Haskins should’ve been enough to give him the job. Smiths drafts were talent-laden up and down the rounds. Now we’ve got the former failed GM crew and a coach with 3 winning seasons in 12 years running a mediocre operation. People can crush me all they want but that Jamin Davis selection is what I expected from these dummies. It will be more of them same with them running this organization. 

Imagine basically admitting you would’ve picked a different guy had they been able to interview the prospects on site last year. Just mind blowing. 

Well, except those 2nd round picks but the rest is true… so far… it remain to be seen what they develop into.

It remains to be seen what Rivera & the Marty’s will do this offseason. They’ve only had 1 draft & while Jamin didn’t have a good rookie year, he’s got untapped talent, Juice flashed before his concussions ended his season & Dyami has talent too. They weren’t the plug in play players though that we wanted/needed, hopefully they have much better 2nd seasons. 

Bates was the best rookie we had as a rookie and low and behold you probably hated that pick the most. He’s definitely a #2/blocking TE in the league and May else to more.

Our 7th round picks all flashed some in the little playing time they had, maybe WBK & Toney will develop into reliable  back up DEs & Milne flashed as well. I think there’s a chance that Milne will develop into our future slot WR or at least our #4 or 5 QB.

Edited by turtle28