Not Just the X's and O's, But the Culture of the KOC Offense

vike daddy

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

who got hired first, OC or Hackett?

Hackett was hired first, by almost 3 weeks. 

In fact, I’m pretty sure Hackett was the first formally announced hire this past offseason. 

Looking back on Twitter, the Broncos had their first interview with Hackett on 1/15, and they interviewed O’Connell on 1/21. The Vikings first interview with O’Connell was on 1/22. Hackett was officially hired 1/27. So, it’s possible that after his first interview with Minnesota that O’Connell pulled out from the Denver search, but seeing as how O’Connell also had an interview with Houston on 1/31, I find it far more likely that Hackett was always Denver’s first choice. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

In fact, I’m pretty sure Hackett was the first formally announced hire this past offseason. 

That is my recollection as well.  It'll be interesting to see what the Waltons do after this season with Paton and Hackett.  I'd have to think they'd have a little more patience, but we know how new owners can often want to do their own thing.    

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That is my recollection as well.  It'll be interesting to see what the Waltons do after this season with Paton and Hackett.  I'd have to think they'd have a little more patience, but we know how new owners can often want to do their own thing.    

If Denver hadn’t traded and invested so much in Wilson, I’d be more inclined to think that Paton and Hackett would be out and the new ownership would bring in their own guys. But with the heavy investment into Wilson, I think the smart thing to do would be to continue in with the plan and let it play out. 

On 10/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, SemperFeist said:

Hackett was hired first, by almost 3 weeks. 

Looking back on Twitter, the Broncos had their first interview with Hackett on 1/15, and they interviewed O’Connell on 1/21. The Vikings first interview with O’Connell was on 1/22. Hackett was officially hired 1/27. So, it’s possible that after his first interview with Minnesota that O’Connell pulled out from the Denver search, but seeing as how O’Connell also had an interview with Houston on 1/31, I find it far more likely that Hackett was always Denver’s first choice. 

Remember when Aaron Rodgers wanted out of GB? I fully believe that they only hired Hackett to entice Rodgers to want to go to Denver. Rodgers apparently liked Hackett quite a bit. When that fell through, they eventually traded for Wilson which has been a complete disaster. 

• Like 3

During Sunday’s win over the Dolphins, Cousins came to the sideline and was furious approaching a conversation with O’Connell, who quickly cooled his quarterback down. Asked about the discussion, Cousins didn’t deflect in his postgame press conference, where he bore much of the blame for the offense’s inefficiencies.

Cousins: “I think we’re gonna have intense conversations. I mean I’m gonna try to give him my feedback and he’s going to give me his and I love when he coaches me hard and holds me to a high standard. I think it’s important too that we have these great conversations you know, Monday after the game, being able to talk through. It’s one thing to have a conversation coming off the field when I haven’t seen the tape yet, I don’t really know what I’m saying but now we have time to process it and look at it, those conversations I think are really valuable. That play-caller, quarterback dynamic is just always, you know, you’re trying to get in each other’s head more and more and more the longer you work together.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-kevin-oconnell-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR05ZbXJuEIvTAM-z9MgVvPuovzBgdCvumSvZt0Ahao0SL2Vo3zCnEH79vY

• Like 2

O’Connell and his staff have implemented a curriculum of sorts called “Situational Masters,” one of several pieces of the program he learned and copied from the Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams under coach Sean McVay. Ryan Cordell, who serves as game management coordinator, and Mike Pettine, the assistant head coach, lead the weekly sessions highlighting applicable sequences from around the league that can determine the difference between winning and losing.

Cousins: “You have to be trained to know the situation."

O’Connell: “It comes down to those margins and how can we be good on some plays and situations that maybe don’t always get talked about on Monday morning, but they’re winning plays and winning philosophies for us. Those margins become even smaller, and we’re going to have to be that much better.”

Thielen: “You see guys like actually watching other games and learning from them before we even talk about it, which is cool. At the end of the day, we just find a way.”\

https://www.ballysports.com/north/news/kevin-oconnell-instructing-minnesota-vikings-become-situational-masters?fbclid=IwAR1j-Lu3CRI8ART9VQ6y6smMuj7QMPCaVUTFqvtC7K_FRqDl3NcVrqiZQHo

The Minnesota Vikings offense has seen some mixed results this season. Despite being 13th in points per game at 23.2, they have had 22 three and outs on the season. The unit hasn’t been consistent all season but it has flashed on occasion.

One of the tough parts when talking about the Vikings offense is that they haven’t made it easy on themselves. The Vikings have not been a quick strike offense this season and the numbers bear that out. The Vikings are 28th in the NFL in amount of plays per scoring drive. The Vikings have been converting once they get near the goal line but the easy points that come from explosive plays haven’t been there from the offense yet.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/29/vikings-kevin-oconnell-kirk-cousins-2/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1cq5iytWrXah6yaOxHtVLYYYi4ZcVocVx-SvcvYGT7Lv2YJkCodYXyFYE

• Like 1

How does the offense compare to last year? I do think that this offense will really start to click at some point and Kubiak didn't have to install a whole new system but it does feel he had the offense running a little better last year with a worse line. I know they did have some really bad games though

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

How does the offense compare to last year? I do think that this offense will really start to click at some point and Kubiak didn't have to install a whole new system but it does feel he had the offense running a little better last year with a worse line. I know they did have some really bad games though

Last year’s offense looked like an offense in its 3rd year of operating. It was performing better at this point in the season than the current offense is. 

Last year there was tension within the team even when they won. A mini shoving match between head coach and quarterback after a victory against the Lions was evidence of that. Now Kirk Cousins and O’Connell have consistent conversations throughout the game and teammates are brandishing the low-key Cousins with their chains after wins. Players revealed postgame that they’re making Cousins a custom chain for Christmas. You wouldn’t have dreamed that sentence last year.

Za’Darius Smith: “As a group and as a whole we’re treated like family and everybody has really, like family. We have a younger coach and the coach wants to know what the players want and that’s a good thing to have.”

Dalvin Cook: “The feeling of going to work, the feeling of coming back in this locker room, the feeling of being around these guys is fun, it’s contagious. Coach brought that with him Day 1 when he walked in the building both in how we want to play and what team we want to be outside of this stadium.”

Adam Thielen: “You go back to OTAs and it’s not just talk, coach comes in with a new culture and a new mindset and the new staff and we go on the field and spread the ball around. He talks about the amount of playmakers we have, the number of guys who can do things at a high level.”   

Kevin O’Connell: “The feeling you get on our sideline, in our locker room, no matter what the circumstances are, I do feel like these guys believe in each other, they believe in what we’re doing. That’s a proud feeling for a coach.”  

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/the-vikings-are-oozing-with-confidence-after-another-thrilling-win?fbclid=IwAR1wGxsd8fahKTHrVjk9GGUjmJvDdHNY_c5A8LXAI396jCjksEOCxJaGs6g