WR-Draft or FA?

AFF

With only 2 WRs under contract, I thought I’d bring up the fact WR is a pretty big need most people don’t seem to realize.

From the looks of it, DJ is a damn good WR2...but he’s not the “alpha” type that’s needed...Claypool is going into his pivotal 3rd year and is kinda in limbo. 

So my question is this...

A)Would you rather have them spend some $$$ in FA on a Christian Kirk or Will Fuller(just 2 examples) or if not addressed in FA, a top 3 round pick on a WR?

B)What do you actually predict they do regarding the WR position?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AFF said:

A)Would you rather have them spend some $$$ in FA on a Christian Kirk or Will Fuller(just 2 examples) or if not addressed in FA, a top 3 round pick on a WR?

i think it will be both, but I would rather just spend low level FA money this year and reassess next off-season what we really need (claypool heat check). 

I would shop in the $5-8M basket of FA on someone who is really in that third/lower tier but has traits that fit the Canada model (PR-esque w/ slot abilities)

WR has been a thorn in my side about how often we use weighty draft picks to take them year after year...but I think we are at the point of no return since we haven't locked any of them up. I do believe JuJu would have been extended without the pandemic...but here we are. 

Gimme the FA that fits a role of jets, bubbles, and potentially some backfield work and draft the best available after the first round (Dotson, Moore, etc). Pray Claypool hits....

18 minutes ago, AFF said:

B)What do you actually predict they do regarding the WR position?

Let JuJu test the market who ultimately walks, re-sign Ray Ray then use a 2nd/3rd in the draft, and extend DJ. Probably a real possibility of getting that Justin Hunter style FA signing who starts as the 4/rotational 3 until the draft pick is ready to roll. 

It is for sure a big need as you mentioned. I trust the Steelers drafting WR's and I expect them to nab at least one in the middle rounds (where they do their best work).

They will need to sign a UFA or two as well. It's an interesting crop of free agents, and has some number ones out there (Adams, Robinson, Godwin) but I think based on the teams other needs they wont be able to afford any of those guys. Mike Williams will also get a lot of attention. I would stay away from Will Fuller just because he can't stay healthy.

Christian Kirk is an interesting target but he has really failed to impress with the Cardinals. Some names that kind of jumped out to me that might be under the radar are Michael Gallup and Russell Gage.

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I rather both, but Colbert made comments that they aren't going to be aggressive.

....We need a true #1 WR.  DJ is a 2, Claypool is a big 3.  We made the same mistake when Juju was a "super-2" and we traded AB and elevated Juju to a 1.

Agreed on the WR comments.

Im starting to think they resign Chuks/Edmunds and try to sign 3-4 2nd and 3rd tier guys to fill holes...maybe 1 surprise signing on the OL.

49 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

i think it will be both, but I would rather just spend low level FA money this year and reassess next off-season what we really need (claypool heat check). 

I would shop in the $5-8M basket of FA on someone who is really in that third/lower tier but has traits that fit the Canada model (PR-esque w/ slot abilities)

WR has been a thorn in my side about how often we use weighty draft picks to take them year after year...but I think we are at the point of no return since we haven't locked any of them up. I do believe JuJu would have been extended without the pandemic...but here we are. 

Gimme the FA that fits a role of jets, bubbles, and potentially some backfield work and draft the best available after the first round (Dotson, Moore, etc). Pray Claypool hits....

Let JuJu test the market who ultimately walks, re-sign Ray Ray then use a 2nd/3rd in the draft, and extend DJ. Probably a real possibility of getting that Justin Hunter style FA signing who starts as the 4/rotational 3 until the draft pick is ready to roll. 

Maybe Jamison Crowder in the slot and draft a guy like Tolbert/Metchie in the 3rd.

19 minutes ago, AFF said:

Agreed on the WR comments.

Im starting to think they resign Chuks/Edmunds and try to sign 3-4 2nd and 3rd tier guys to fill holes...maybe 1 surprise signing on the OL.

Yea.  His comments now is slightly alarming after his years of "we aren't aggressive in FA because we take care of our own and don't have money or we would" has come off like lip service to people who wanted them to be aggressive.

16 minutes ago, AFF said:

Maybe Jamison Crowder in the slot and draft a guy like Tolbert/Metchie in the 3rd.

I am a big Crowder fan, but him here would really depend on our QB situation for me. If it's a pocket styled passer I am in, but if they are going the Mariota/Trubisky route, I see them going full on Canada (never go full Canada) and then needing someone with a little more shake with the ball in their hands. 

Crowder and Adam Humphries are probably my #1 and #2 guys if we are going to stay with a pocket style QB (Wentz, Carr, Brissett). I see Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant types being the middle ground. But I would prefer someone like Isaiah McKenzie, Ray-Ray, or Braxton Berrios to unlock Canada's full scale offense with Mariota or Trubisky. I could even see them going to a very lower dollar Tavon Austin. 

There are a lot of guys available in the slot for very reasonable money. Just really depends on what/how they wanna build. 

I don't think C.Kirk will be huge money, but that's beside the point.

Once you extend DJ - you're extending him as a top 10-12 receiver,
which means Claypool gets a year to see if he can grow up - and
you fill the rest of the room with more solid types than another star.
If Chase does mature, you have your two, core receivers longer term.

I think they'll look to draft one slot type who can really separate and then
kick the tires on someone like DJ Chark, J.Crowder or B.Pringle.

They need to add both some deep speed and some more separation in
the middle of the field. 

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

I rather both, but Colbert made comments that they aren't going to be aggressive.

....We need a true #1 WR.  DJ is a 2, Claypool is a big 3.  We made the same mistake when Juju was a "super-2" and we traded AB and elevated Juju to a 1.

I agree we need a true 1... but that happened because the situation with AB dictated it....not because they had resounding faith in Juju.

• Like 1

I get why most are down on Johnson, but I definitely still think he is a boarder line one. Those drops and mental errors will hit different when the make up is a 25-35 yard chunk down the field. 

The first 12 weeks he averaged 12.22 a catch on 81 receptions. He finished the last 4 weeks of the season with 26 receptions at a 6.68 YPC….which was a pathetic drop. 

Finished 10th in the NFL in yards and played only 16 games in….I mean.. hands down the worst passing offense in the league? Bottom 3 at least? In an offense that didn’t cater at all to his (or anybody else’s for that matter) skill set? 

If we even get a semi competent QB, dudes gonna blow up. 

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I get why most are down on Johnson, but I definitely still think he is a boarder line one. Those drops and mental errors will hit different when the make up is a 25-35 yard chunk down the field. 

The first 12 weeks he averaged 12.22 a catch on 81 receptions. He finished the last 4 weeks of the season with 26 receptions at a 6.68 YPC….which was a pathetic drop. 

Finished 10th in the NFL in yards and played only 16 games in….I mean.. hands down the worst passing offense in the league? Bottom 3 at least? In an offense that didn’t cater at all to his (or anybody else’s for that matter) skill set? 

If we even get a semi competent QB, dudes gonna blow up. 

I’m not down on him like a lot of people are...I just don’t think he has the pure raw physical talent to be a WR1...I think he’s a great #2....I could be wrong especially depending on what QB he has going forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Touche, but then they kept pushing him as the #1.

Agreed, but I think Juju's decline was due to several factors.   He was never a true 1, but I feel like he could've done more if we had a better deep threat next to him and Ben's arm didnt turn to shiz.  

More than simply a true number one, we need a WR who can stretch the field and a QB who can occasionally push it downfield.   I feel like that would open up alot and give us what we have been missing for at least the last 3 years.

• Like 1