WR-Draft or FA?

AFF

13 hours ago, AFF said:

I just don’t think he has the pure raw physical talent to be a WR1

I think the physical tools of what makes a good wide receiver have largely changed. Go back the whole way to 2015 and only 2 of the top 12 receivers were under 6'2 (AB and OBJ). Last year, only 1 receiver met 6'2 - and that was 4.62 40 Cooper Kupp.  

There are plenty of bigger and faster guys than DJ, but there are a very small few that can separate in short area as well as he can. 

Plays the X, can win to get open on his own, runs a full route tree, nuanced route runner, beats press, and has punt returner ability with the ball in his hands. He checks a lot of boxes for me as a 1. And I think if his first 3 years in the league were not with Mason, Duck, and the corpse of Ben this isn't even a conversation. 

Austin is going to be very good in the NFL .  Jalen Tolbert, Skyy Moore, Khalil Shakir, Justyn Ross( More of a possession type),Alec Pierce, Romeo Doubs.

That is just off the top of my head.  Doubs, Pierce and Shakir are good speed X Wr types.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I think the physical tools of what makes a good wide receiver have largely changed. Go back the whole way to 2015 and only 2 of the top 12 receivers were under 6'2 (AB and OBJ). Last year, only 1 receiver met 6'2 - and that was 4.62 40 Cooper Kupp.  

There are plenty of bigger and faster guys than DJ, but there are a very small few that can separate in short area as well as he can. 

Plays the X, can win to get open on his own, runs a full route tree, nuanced route runner, beats press, and has punt returner ability with the ball in his hands. He checks a lot of boxes for me as a 1. And I think if his first 3 years in the league were not with Mason, Duck, and the corpse of Ben this isn't even a conversation. 

I am not a fan of the big WR that dominates College because they are big ( Drake London...I am looking at you).  I think they struggle in the NFL with separation UNLESS SEPARATION IS SCHEMED ( like London).  Give me quality route runners that have good to excellent 3 cone drill quickness.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am not a fan of the big WR that dominates College because they are big ( Drake London...I am looking at you).  I think they struggle in the NFL with separation UNLESS SEPARATION IS SCHEMED ( like London).  Give me quality route runners that have good to excellent 3 cone drill quickness.

Yes, size no longer impresses me at receiver. The rules are now catered to smaller, quicker guys. There's a definite shift, too, in the way the NFL drafts, as well as how college teams and high school teams view the position. The 10th WR taken was the first that broke 6'1 last year.

But there is a need for diversity at the position...something the Steelers haven't gotten in the last few years. JuJu, Washington, and Claypool are all varying versions of each other. Maybe they thought Claypool was meant to be the real vertical field stretcher...but that leads me to believe they never watched him play in college. They need someone who wakes up a deep threat, but if they can't find that 9 out 10 times give me the guy who separates on his own. 

• Like 1

C.Watson is unusual because he plays quicker/more agile than his size (and is also just fast).
He's gone early though.

I think J.Dotson will be special. I'm curious to see what T.Burks runs. R.Doubs is interesting in RD4.

I think two guys that are really interesting are the SMU boys - R.Roberson and D.Gray.

The UCLA kid at slot apparently has been impossible to cover in post season practices.

I also think T.Turner from V-Tech is smooth, especially in like RD6.

The Baylor kid (forgot name) is apparently pretty good too.

Kinda bummed I read the giants will trade pretty much anyone but Toney. Woulda been a fun buy low on a rookie deal and a super gadget from the slot. 

Gonna comb through more Giants roster more. (Sup, James Bradberry….)

8 hours ago, 43M said:

If Dotson fell to us in rd 2, I wouldnt pass on him.

He is the only WR Id take in the first 2 rds, though.

I agree on Dotson. He is going to make a really nice pro. I would also add Skyy Moore to that list in the second, though. 

What I like about both of them is position flexibility. We have been lied to by the Steelers for the last 3 years when they talk about the receiver room being flexibility and playing all spots, yet they never did. I think the hold up is that no one else could play X. Dotson and Moore can play Z/Slot, but both also profile as capable X, IMO. 

Being able to move Johnson AND having a second killer route runner from the slot and Z would be a big lift. Dotson scares me a little because of his lack of over the middle stuff, but I am hoping that was just a PSU offensive scheme thing.