My Off-Season and Mock Draft

J_E_T_$

Team Cuts

Sheldon Rankins - $5 mil savings- ranked 96/100 qualifying DT's.  That does cut it.  I think we can get a rotational DT later in the draft for 1/10 the cost.

Team Re-Signings

Folorunso Fatukasi - $8 mil/5 years - One of the best run stopping DT's in the league.  With the $5 mil in savings from Rankins, his salary would be off-set and not a terrible cap hit.  Our defensive interior Q, Flo and rookie rotation would be ok.

Marcus Mayes - $6 mi/1 year - Coming off an injury, we should be able to get him on a decent salary.  When healthy, he has always been a dependable player.  If he bounces back, he get a 2-3 year deal next year.

almost every ERFA, at $900k, they don't really count towards the salary cap since most are outside the top 51 paid players.  

FREE AGENTS

WR - A. Robinson II - $16/4yr - A true #1 WR for many years, I believe last year was a ****ty situation, and he's still 28 years old with a few great years left on the tread.  

TE - D. Schultz -  $13/5 yr - Schultz has produced in a Dallas system that has a bunch of mouths to feed.  Good blocker who gives another weapon to Zack.

S - M. Williams - $16/4yr - IMO, the best center field safety in football.  I know some of his traits overlap with Mayes, but I think a great defensive mind like Salah should be able to make it work, talent is talent.

DRAFT

R1 P4 CB Ahmad Gardner - Cincinnati - The best CB prospect by a mile.  Steps in and is great from day 1
R1 P10 OT Ikem Ekwonu - NC State - Could be a very good RT, will be a all pro RG.  
R2 P3 OT Bernhard Raimann - Central Michigan - the most polished and NFL ready tackle in the draft, a huge salary relief to plug Raimann and lose Fants $9 mil+ salary
R2 P6 EDGE Kingsley Enagbare - South Carolina - I know same college and same size doesn't equal the same player, but I keep thinking Johnathan Abraham, 
R3 P5 DL Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU - DT rotational player, doesn't have to start, can grow into more playing time as he develops
R4 P6 LB Leo Chenal - Wisconsin - Great college player, future starter
R4 P12 C Alec Lindstrom - Boston College - great centers seem to be drafted all over the place.  Maybe a pure back-up, maybe the future, I can NEVER tell with centers.
R5 P3 S Smoke Monday - Auburn - 6'3, 5 ints. is a great football conference.  I think he's under-rated, and could be a future starter.
R5 P20 FB Connor Heyward - Michigan State - My favorite long shot, has been a good runner(529 yds. 5td in 2018 in a 4 player split for carries) and a good receiver(32 and 35 receptions seasons) at 6' and 230lbs.  I think he could be our short yardage back with alot of receiving capibility.  Carter is our oblivious starter, we just need a bigger RB for occasional carries)

In this scenario, we get huge upgrades in weapons and protection for Wilson.  We get the best CB prospect which I think is our biggest need.  Enagbare, Farrell and Chenal are all probable future starters that will contribute this year.  

I so badly want C Tyler Linderbaum, but cant bring myself to draft him at #10 when C. McGovern was not horrific and we have many other needs to fill.  I'd love to get rid of the higher salaries of Fant($10 mil) and McGovern($9 mil) for cap relief, but I fully expect if not this year, they will defiantly be gone next year.  Good players, just not at those salaries.

Let me know how right or wrong I am!

Is this what you would do or think JD will do?  I assume Thibs and Hutch are gone?  I like Sauce. Doubt Ikem falls to 10. Love your day 3 picks.

I have a tough time believing JD will cut Fant loose and draft a replacement for this year. Fant is a JD acquisition and played well. I actually expect an extension for Fant. If they do keep Fant and do not extend him, I could see a TRP spent on an OT. SRP may be a bit high but not out of the question. 

So the good is that I like us addressing OL. My issue is with who. Why are we cutting Fant who had a great year for an OK rookie when Becton himself is a question mark? No thank you. And I see no way Ikem falls to 10. It'd been more realistic if you had us draft Ikem at 4 and Sauce at 10.

Also this FA isn't realistic. For starters we've all but confirmed Maye is done as a Jet. We as of now have 50mill in cap space. We have several cuts we probably will make that will get us to around 60-65mill or so. Because of our draft capital, the draft alone will cost us around 18mill. So we actually only have around 45-50mill to spend. And obviously we aren't going to use every last penny in FA, we will likely keep around 5mill+ for in season moves and such. So in reality we have more around 40mill to spend.

So you have us signing guys for 10-15mill more than what we have total. So that just is totally unrealistic.

Furthermore... I don't think nearly enough is done on offense. Yes you addressed OL (not in a way that I'd like), but never the less you addressed it. But after that you did nearly nothing. AR15 is a band aid FA WR pickup. Like him as a player, but is often injured when we already have Davis who is pretty much the same WR and is often injured. Then after that you did nothing. We need 2 TEs, you have us getting 0. We need a RB to work in with Carter, there's no one. You don't have us resigning Berrios, so where's the WR depth? AR15, Davis and Moore and that's it? 3 WRs and a HUGE question mark in Mims and scrubs? No thank you.

A. Robinson is a HUGE mistake. He is on the decline and is close to that 30 marker. He is not a WR1 anymore. He is more of a WR2/3. I think him as WR2 might even be a concern. 

I would also like to know what you would do for a backup QB. This position is a need in my eyes because Wilson is looking more and more like a QB the will miss some games here and there. I like to bring back Fitz or another Vet that can fill in those games but also be another coach to him. 

The draft I don't like Gardner at 4. I'm pretty sure he will be there at 10. The 4th pick HAS to be one of these 3 guys. Neal, Hutch or Thax. One of these guys will be there. I'm still sold on a surprise pick in the top 3. It is very rare that it goes as the pro say. Hamilton, QB, EKwonu or someone like that in the top 3.  

Okay, so FA will be the foundation of what the Jets organization does come the draft. Should they break the bank for the best CB in football, then I can see them not drafting a CB. TE is another position the Jets address in FA. So FA for the most part will be the vehicle by which the Jets draft will be determined. But if I were the GM in such a scenario "balance" would be with word of the draft process for this team, in this year. 

We have a decent OL but not elite, should we finish the process or draft a guy like Linderbaum with the 10th pick and up the line to near elite? If we sign the best FA CB do we draft the best S in Hamilton or grab one of the top DE's in the draft if they drop?

So in reality the FA signings will have a huge impact on the drafting scenario playing out. Seeing there are so many variables, once FA signings are complete (at least at the beginning) as we also wind up signing FA's after the initial fire sale.

Then, let the speculating begin.

9 hours ago, Big T said:

Okay, so FA will be the foundation of what the Jets organization does come the draft. Should they break the bank for the best CB in football, then I can see them not drafting a CB. TE is another position the Jets address in FA. So FA for the most part will be the vehicle by which the Jets draft will be determined. But if I were the GM in such a scenario "balance" would be with word of the draft process for this team, in this year. 

We have a decent OL but not elite, should we finish the process or draft a guy like Linderbaum with the 10th pick and up the line to near elite? If we sign the best FA CB do we draft the best S in Hamilton or grab one of the top DE's in the draft if they drop?

So in reality the FA signings will have a huge impact on the drafting scenario playing out. Seeing there are so many variables, once FA signings are complete (at least at the beginning) as we also wind up signing FA's after the initial fire sale.

Then, let the speculating begin.

100% agreed