2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

You mean you dont want to have endless conversations/be subject to falsified rumors about tRaDiNg nIcK bOsA?????????

WE got a little taste of that last year with the "would you trade Bosa for Watson" talk last year. That was a good time. 

My sense is Jimmy Garoppolo’s shoulder is the biggest factor in the 49ers’ struggle to find a trade partner. Make no mistake—the Niners’ plan from the start was to trade Garoppolo. They were budgeting to have him off their books, and Garoppolo felt like he was gone when the season ended in the NFC title game. The plan, as I’ve heard it, was to deal him after the big quarterback dominoes (Watson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers) fell. And yet, here we are, and Garoppolo’s still a Niner. What gives? The injury to Garoppolo’s throwing shoulder is a bigger deal than I thought it’d be, and maybe more so than the Niners thought it’d be too. Why? Two reasons.

1. If you’re trading for him, knowing he won’t be ready until late June or early July means you’ll go through the spring building an offense for him without him on the field. And then, if he has to be managed through training camp, the problem is exacerbated.

2. He’s only under contract for 2022, at $25.6 million. So absent an extension, trading for him is a for-now move, and it’s tough to make a for-now move for a quarterback who could still have lingering effects of a throwing-shoulder injury through the only year he’s signed for.

And I also don’t believe the Niners are going to give him away. The belief, as we’ve said, was two second-round picks would get it done. My guess is, given the climate now, that would be negotiable. But keeping Garoppolo wouldn’t be impossible for the Niners, either. My expectation is the offense the Niners build for Trey Lance, because of where he is in his development and what his strengths are, will look pretty different, and Garoppolo being out for the spring gives both the team and Lance the chance to work on that. And if it doesn’t work? Having Garoppolo around as insurance wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. It’s not the conclusion that the player or the team wanted, but I don’t think it’s impossible that’s what will end up happening if the right offer doesn’t come along. We’ll see if it does. The Panthers are still the one team that lines up as the cleanest fit, but with jobs on the line in 2022, it may be tough, again, to rely on a quarterback coming back from that kind of injury.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/28/mmqb-inside-matt-ryan-trade-falcons-colts

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's coming back, baby!!!

You guys told me that having Jimmy is not impacting us in free agency though!!!!! 

And they better hope some sort of injury happens or else they will be receiving a lot of blowback for being unable to trade him...Granted, they could not control the shoulder surgery he elected to have a month ago. 

Just a bad situation all around. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You guys told me that having Jimmy is not impacting us in free agency though!!!!! 

And they better hope some sort of injury happens or else they will be receiving a lot of blowback for being unable to trade him...Granted, they could not control the shoulder surgery he elected to have a month ago. 

Just a bad situation all around. 

I don't think Jimmy still being on the books is impacting our free agency. I think they identified certain moves they wanted to make for overall depth for strengthening certain areas and they've done that. If a move like Hyder comes along that seems worth it, they'll move but I think signing starting CB opposite Moseley was priority number one and they did that. Everything else has been about fortifying STs and bringing competition for back-up roles. Of course I would like them to sign a vet O-Lineman or two and a quality TE2 but they may have other plans regarding those positions and feel they can be addressed during the draft or later in the off-season. I have no issue with our free agency, thus far.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think it is. If anything it will just impact the timing of the extensions. If Jimmy were not on this team, I don't think we are any more aggressive than we have been

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think it is. If anything it will just impact the timing of the extensions. If Jimmy were not on this team, I don't think we are any more aggressive than we have been

I'm sorry my man, but I just can't buy that one bit. It would take additional moves to free up the space that they may not want to do at the moment. Having 25M of open space gives you so many more options period. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't think Jimmy still being on the books is impacting our free agency. I think they identified certain moves they wanted to make for overall depth for strengthening certain areas and they've done that. If a move like Hyder comes along that seems worth it, they'll move but I think signing starting CB opposite Moseley was priority number one and they did that. Everything else has been about fortifying STs and bringing competition for back-up roles. Of course I would like them to sign a vet O-Lineman or two and a quality TE2 but they may have other plans regarding those positions and feel they can be addressed during the draft or later in the off-season. I have no issue with our free agency, thus far.

See my response to Forge.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sorry my man, but I just can't buy that one bit. It would take additional moves to free up the space that they may not want to do at the moment. Having 25M of open space gives you so many more options period. 

See my response to Forge.......

Options for what though? Those extensions don't have to happen right this second. Plenty of time to get those done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The first year cap hits of Bosa & Deebo + draft class will likely be over 20 million. The money is the same no matter what. If you have him off the team right now and use the money, then you have to move money around later to get those extension and rookie contracts done. If those corresponding moves are available later, they are available now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

The first year cap hits of Bosa & Deebo + draft class will likely be over 20 million. The money is the same no matter what. If you have him off the team right now and use the money, then you have to move money around later to get those deals done. If those corresponding moves are available later, they are available now. 

Exactly. The timing is irrelevant. Money spent is money spent. Whether it's in March or July. Allocating those funds earlier means nothing in the grand scheme of things. As long as it gets done, which I believe it will.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The first year cap hits of Bosa & Deebo + draft class will likely be over 20 million. The money is the same no matter what. If you have him off the team right now and use the money, then you have to move money around later to get those extension and rookie contracts done. If those corresponding moves are available later, they are available now. 

Once again the timing matters. Having money now is different than creating spacing later in the offseason. It has an impact, it definitely does. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Once again the timing matters. Having money now is different than creating spacing later in the offseason. It has an impact, it definitely does. 

You have money now...you would simply make the other moves that you would have made in July. 

It works like this 

Scenario A: 

Cut Jimmy, used freed up money that you had ear marked for extensions and draft class in Free Agency, then  restructure / extend other guys (such as Ebukam, ward) to free up money to extend bosa / deebo and sign draft class. 

Scenario B: 

Extend Ward, Ebukam, etc to free up money now to use in FA then you cut / trade Jimmy in July and use that on the deebo / bosa extensions + draft class. 

• Like 4