Post Wentz and Landon Offseason

LoganF89

I mean you know me and my off-season runs, had to figure I would put another on here.

Cap space post Wentz trade and Landon cut. Roughly 11.6 mill

Cuts/Restructures/extensions

Cut- deshazor Everette, I don’t think he will play a down next season even if he’s not cut. This move saves 2 mill

Restructure Wentz- I know it’s not popular by some of you but I think it’s the right thing to do. We can save 13 mill this year and honestly I think he’s with us for at least 2 years so I think if we decide to cut him year 3 that 6.5 dead cap won’t be a big pull to swallow, especially bc we have no other dead cap allocations. 13 mill gained

Extend Erek Flowers- I believe a two year extension at 8 mill per year should be enough to save about 2 mill this season. It would turn flowers current deal into a 3 year 24 mill deal. 2 mill saved this year

Extend Fuller- add 1 year at 10 mill per year to save an additional 2 mill this year

Cut Schweitzer- move saves 5 mill in space

Matt Ioannidis- I’m gonna catch some crap from this one but he saves us nearly 7 mill against the cap. He’s had some injuries the last couple of years but I’m doing this move to prioritize getting Tim settle back. Settle is plays really well when he’s given the chance and with matt gone he will get those opportunities. I rather have a young healthy settle than a 29 year old Ioannidis that may miss games. Cap savings 7 mill

with these moves we can improve our cap space to 42 million this year

RESIGN

Tyler Larson- he’s versatile being able to play multiple positions 1 year 1 mill

Cornelius Lucas- he’s a great swing tackle and is solid when called upon 2 years 4 mill

Bobby Mcain- need depth and a vet with Landon, deshazor, and Apke departing, he can also play slot when called upon 1 year 2 mill

Kyle Allen- low tender, 3rd string QB. I believe the tender is right at 2 mill?

Cam Sims- with Humphies leaving it would be nice to have him back 1 year 1 mill

deandre carter- he’s the returner we finally found last year 1 year 1 mill

Tim Settle- I prioritized settle over matt Ioannidis, Ioannidis saves us a lot of money and he has injury concerns. I think with more snaps settle will prove he’s worth the spot, also cheaper than matt 5 mill cap hit 2022

JD Mckissic- he’s obviously a playmaker for us and not resigning him is the wrong move 1 year 2.5 mill

RSJ- he was solid when healthy and Thomas went out 1 year 1 mill

17.5 mill to retain our guys, updated cap going into FA is 24.5 mill

FREE AGENCY

Foysade Oluokon LB- we finally get the mike LB we have been looking for, I think a 3 year deal at 22.5 mill could possibly do the trick. 2022 cap hit of 6.5 mill

Trai Turner OG- he’s not the young OG that we all want but he’s still a starter in this league and way cheaper than Scherrf at 29 years old I think a deal of 1year 3.5mill with a 3.5 2022 hit will get the job done 

Marcus Maye FS- he was asked to play more in the box rather than his usual deep safety spot, with the torn Achilles in November and the DUI I imagine Maye to have to play on a prove it type deal. A 1 year 6 million dollar deal is what I see his market being with what was stated above

total spent on 2022 FA 16 million. Available cap going into the draft is 8.5 million

DRAFT

Trade- Washington send pick 11 to Pittsburgh for pick 20(1st) 52(2nd) 138(4th) Pittsburgh takes Kenny Pickett. With Malik Willis drafted to Seattle the Steelers make the move to jump infront of teams like the Vikings and browns, who could be dark horse QB drafting teams and the NO saints who will probably be going QB in the first.

1(20) Chris Olave WR Ohio St.- can’t teach speed and he already has amazing route running ability. I believe he will start the season as our number 2 with Samuel in the slot

2(47) Kenyon Green OG TX A&M- he is our RG of the future. Although he could step in right away and allow us to move Turner or Flowers

2(52) Lewis Cine FS Georgia- he can play both safety positions and I think he could start right away but I think playing behind Marcus Maye year 1 will benefit him. I do believe he can contribute right away

4(112) Damone Clark LB LSU- nothing is better than adding depth to a position we had none at last year. Clark is a great athlete and he can contribute as a rookie right away at 6’4” 240 he has great size, he profiles as an ILB but has the quickness and lateral ability to cover TEs and running backs. Good insurance also if Jamin doesn’t improve 

4(138) Ed Ingram OG LSU- I think it’s wise to double down on the guard spot. I know I have us extending flowers but depth is a good thing. We need more young pieces on the line. 

6(188) Bubba Bolden SS Miami- with Collins cut and deshazor cut we will need some more depth. Bubba is a playmaker and is able to lay the wood. I believe he will be the new special teams ace starting out.

7(228) Kalon Barnes CB Baylor- basically a depth pick. We need 1 more corner to fill the roster and so this gives us a cheap option

UDFA D’Eriq King QB Miami- BC WHY NOT

QB Wentz/Heinicke/Allen/King

RB Gibson/Mckissic/Patterson/Williams

WR Terry/Olave/Samuel/Brown/Sims/Carter

TE Thomas/RSJ/Bates

LT Leno/Lucas

LG Flowers/Ingram 

C Roullier/Larson

RG Turner/Green

RT Cosmi/Charles

DE Young/Toney

DT Allen/Settle

DT Payne/Bada

DE Sweat/JSW

LB Holcomb/Mayo

MLB Oluokon/Clark

OLB Davis/Hudson

CB Jackson/Fuller/St.juste/Elder/Barnes

FS Maye/Cine

SS Curl/Bolden/Forrest

K Slye

P Way

• Like 1

Any post talking about just cutting Matty I makes me want to mash the Hate button, if there was one.

But this post is an interesting read and well thought out, so I hit like. But please don't mistake that for agreeing with all of it. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacDog said:

Any post talking about just cutting Matty I makes me want to mash the Hate button, if there was one.

But this post is an interesting read and well thought out, so I hit like. But please don't mistake that for agreeing with all of it. :)

Just me personally I think with more snaps settle could be just as good as matt, I rather have settle on the team than matt due to contract, age, and durability that’s all. Everyone will have a different opinion. I’m completely fine with keeping Matt, just don’t want to lose settle 

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t understand the logic of cutting Ioaniddis to sign FAs at FS and Guard when you drafted a FS and Guard in the 2nd round.  Just keep Ioannidis and let the rookies start.

Well my logic behind that is I rather keep settle. Cheaper, younger, and more durable. With more reps I think he will be just as effective

as far as the double down goes on guards and FS, the Marcus Maye contract is a 1 year deal and the trai turner could be cut if a rookie beats him out.

you never know how the draft will pan out and who will be where, so asking rookies to step in immediately isn’t always the answer. I completely get where you are coming from but remember FA happens before the draft. Can’t go into the draft with holes at MLB, S, OG, WR, or CB thinking you will fix it all just bc you draft a player. Look at the hole we had at LB last year that Jamin was supposed to fix…..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacDog said:

Agree.  But while I disagree with a ton here and there are huge things missing like a Terry deal, @LoganF89's efforts make me realize how we are suddenly in a cap situation where hard choices need to be made.  I guess the bottom line is all my criticisms of this don't have easy fixes.

I would love to keep settle, but at the expense of Ionnaides who is already under contract?  I also think why would settle stay when he could go somewhere and be a starter?

Similarly I don't think I do things like cut Schweitzer just to sign a similar player in Turner who hasn't actually played in our system.

Maye sounds nice but a luxury we can't afford.  Same with McCain, plus he won't sign that cheap.

Drafting a WR in the 1st round is also a luxury we can't afford.  We need to hope the Samuels deal isn't a bust.  

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Just me personally I think with more snaps settle could be just as good as matt, I rather have settle on the team than matt due to contract, age, and durability that’s all. Everyone will have a different opinion. I’m completely fine with keeping Matt, just don’t want to lose settle 

Maybe it is not as easy to do as I would think, but I would rather trade Payne and Keep Matty and settle.

Also agree with no cutting Schweitzer just to sign another FA OG.

Want to see us add TE Zack Ertz on a reasonable deal if we can.

I know he's older now, but he knows Wentz well & had been his safety net for him with Philly.

Plus, Logan is coming off a bad injury. Doesn't have to ready day 1.

Having both Ertz & Logan Thomas would be awesome! Not to mention giving Wentz 2 safety nets.

He's my #1 target at the moment.

• Like 1

I Agree with restructuring Wentz, you all have convinced me that it’s the smarter move & that the dead money wouldn’t be a killer regardless. 

I also agree with restructuring/extending Flowers, that’s a smart move.

I wouldn’t cut Matt I, I’d restructure/extend his contract to create cap space.

Wes S. is almost assuredly going to be our starting RG, he’s solid & he can play C and RT if we were in a bind and if we needed him to play LT bc we had a lot of injuries, he could. Basically, he can ply every position on the OL. Cutting him to sign Trai Turner is a big no for me. Why don’t we just sign Trai Turner as a back up guard? I could get on board with that.

Maybe we don’t need Turner bc we have Charles & we can re-sign Spencer Larsen plus we have Keith Ismael as a back up center who didn’t play awful last year when he had to but if we signed Turner, I still think Wes S. Is our starter & I wouldn’t cut him, he’s a good/versatile OL.

I like the signing of Foysade Oluokon LB to be our staring MLB. I don’t want to sign Marcus Maye coming off a torn achillies. I think we’ll re-sign Bobby McCain. I hope we sign an Upgrade at FS, but I don’t expect it.

I like the trade down. In round 2 rather than drafting a guard, I’d take a LB rather than an OG to go with the FS pick.

The Bubba Bolden pick doesn’t make sense to me, we have Darrick Forrest as a back up safety who we took in the 5th round last year & we have Jeremy Reaves who can be back up safeties & you have us signing a FS in FA we’re taking a FS in round 2. How many back up safeties do we need?

Also, don’t forget we have another 7th now as well after our trade for Wentz.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

There is such depth @ MLB/ILB in the 2nd to 4th round, I would rather not blow precious cap $ on one. I won't be upset if we do, unless it cost us Matty I to do it, or something like that.

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Want to see us add TE Zack Ertz on a reasonable deal if we can.

I know he's older now, but he knows Wentz well & had been his safety net for him with Philly.

Plus, Logan is coming off a bad injury. Doesn't have to ready day 1.

Having both Ertz & Logan Thomas would be awesome! Not to mention giving Wentz 2 safety nets.

He's my #1 target at the moment.

I’m not against that, depends on the cost.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I Agree with restructuring Wentz, you all have convinced me that it’s the smarter move & that the dead money wouldn’t be a killer regardless. 

I also agree with restructuring/extending Flowers, that’s a smart move.

I wouldn’t cut Matt I, I’d restructure/extend his contract to create cap space.

Wes S. is almost assuredly going to be our starting RG, he’s solid & he can play C and RT if we were in a bind and if we needed him to play LT bc we had a lot of injuries, he could. Basically, he can ply every position on the OL. Cutting him to sign Trai Turner is a big no for me. Why don’t we just sign Trai Turner as a back up guard? I could get on board with that.

Maybe we don’t need Turner bc we have Charles & we can re-sign Spencer Larsen plus we have Keith Ismael as a back up center who didn’t play awful last year when he had to but if we signed Turner, I still think Wes S. Is our starter & I wouldn’t cut him, he’s a good/versatile OL.

I like the signing of Foysade Oluokon LB to be our staring MLB. I don’t want to sign Marcus Maye coming off a torn achillies. I think we’ll re-sign Bobby McCain. I hope we sign an Upgrade at FS, but I don’t expect it.

I like the trade down. In round 2 rather than drafting a guard, I’d take a LB rather than an OG to go with the FS pick.

The Bubba Bolden pick doesn’t make sense to me, we have Darrick Forrest as a back up safety who we took in the 5th round last year & we have Jeremy Reaves who can be back up safeties & you have us signing a FS in FA we’re taking a FS in round 2. How many back up safeties do we need?

Also, don’t forget we have another 7th now as well after our trade for Wentz.

So my reasoning behind the golden pick was that in my offseason Everette, collins, Apke, and reeves are cut/not resigned 

that would leave us with basically Curl and Forrest currently and that’s it. So drafting two safeties is why I did that. Especially bc Maye is a 1 year deal

19 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

So my reasoning behind the golden pick was that in my offseason Everette, collins, Apke, and reeves are cut/not resigned 

that would leave us with basically Curl and Forrest currently and that’s it. So drafting two safeties is why I did that. Especially bc Maye is a 1 year deal

Apke isn't going anywhere. Guy is the glue that holds our special teams together. I know people don't understand it, but Nate and Ron view him as essential, and it is their opinion that matters most.

Edited by MacDog