Post Wentz and Landon Offseason

LoganF89

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Only because ours always bust !

There's not really a top-10 type WR in this draft and I get there will be a lot of excitement to try to create an 'elite' offense for Carson I think this team needs to stay level headed and realize there's some bigger holes on this team than a WR2. I have no faith in our front office deviating from this as I have a feeling this is what they want to do. 

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

There's not really a top-10 type WR in this draft and I get there will be a lot of excitement to try to create an 'elite' offense for Carson I think this team needs to stay level headed and realize there's some bigger holes on this team than a WR2. I have no faith in our front office deviating from this as I have a feeling this is what they want to do. 

One does get the feeling they are getting very locked in and determined about the specifics of what they want. 

The good news is I don't think any of the 3 (Ron, Martin, Marty) have a history of favoring first round WR's. I could be wrong on that, but off of my basic memory I can't think of any of them doing that - where they would lock in on that position and force a pick @ WR even if not BPA etc.

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 2

Washington has a terrible history of 1st Rd WR's. No way do I go WR 1st Rd, unless we trade out of #11 to the 20's & the guy we want is still there.

Unless there's a Randy Moss type prospect sitting on the board? We're better off going a different direction on position.

Which is why I go FA for my wr. Allen Robinson & Amari Cooper will probably be available. We need to hit the WR market the same way we got Carson Wentz, imo.

Immediately...

If we landed TE Ertz, WR Robinson & a Mike LBer this FA?

It would be the best FA we've had in 10 yrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacDog said:

One does get the feeling they are getting very locked in and determined about the specifics of what they want. 

The good news is I don't think any of the 3 (Ron, Martin, Marty) have a history of favoring first round WR's. I could be wrong on that, but off of my basic memory I can't think of any of them doing that - where they would lock in on that position and force a pick @ WR even if not BPA etc.

DJ Moore & Kelvin Benjamin in Carolina. I don't think Mayhew did draft a 1st round WR in Detroit but he had Calvin Johnson inherited as well. 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, taylor made said:

DJ Moore & Kelvin Benjamin in Carolina. I don't think Mayhew did draft a 1st round WR in Detroit but he had Calvin Johnson inherited as well. 

Benjamin was Gettleman's pick. I don't think Ron had any or much say with Gettleman as GM, but you are right Hurney and Ron drafted DJ Moore. He has had over 1,000 yards each of the last 3 years, so I think it was a good pick for being taken 1-24.

• Like 2

I like the Ertz idea as well. He isn't prime Ertz, he has lost some of the wheels he once had, but dude can still play and be a great outlet and provide some comfort and security for Wentz.

Yes, in an ideal world you wouldn't have to do that for Wentz, but we made an investment in Wentz and it would be foolish not to try to minimize the risk of downside by bringing in a guy he trusts and has lots of comfort with, and who can produce at a reasonably high level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Washington has a terrible history of 1st Rd WR's. No way do I go WR 1st Rd, unless we trade out of #11 to the 20's & the guy we want is still there.

Unless there's a Randy Moss type prospect sitting on the board? We're better off going a different direction on position.

Which is why I go FA for my wr. Allen Robinson & Amari Cooper will probably be available. We need to hit the WR market the same way we got Carson Wentz, imo.

Immediately...

If we landed TE Ertz, WR Robinson & a Mike LBer this FA?

It would be the best FA we've had in 10 yrs.

Or an Art Monk type…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MacDog said:

Apke isn't going anywhere. Guy is the glue that holds our special teams together. I know people don't understand it, but Nate and Ron view him as essential, and it is their opinion that matters most.

Well considering he hasn’t been signed back yet…..

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Interesting. I thought he had been extended.

My guess is  he will be brought back, but who knows. 

Either way the current cap number already reflects him being gone, so no savings to cutting him can be gained. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MacDog said:

Interesting. I thought he had been extended.

My guess is  he will be brought back, but who knows. 

Either way the current cap number already reflects him being gone, so no savings to cutting him can be gained. 

I could see Apke being signed back to be primarily a special teams guy but preferably I’d like to bring back Danny Johnson or Darryl Roberts to be our #4 or 5 corner. We also re-sign Torry McTyer too. 

I think it’s more important for us to get a veteran slot CB so Fuller doesn’t have to play there. Fuller & WJ3 will be our starting outside corners, BSJ is a back up there, but we need a slot corner.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, taylor made said:

Ioannidis' production has fallen off in the 4-3 defense and I think it's a savvy move to cut him. They played him a lot though so who knows what they really think of Tim Settle. As for the draft, I'm generally against a first round WR. 

If they are going to extend Allen and Payne, I don’t think you can allocate anything beyond rookie salaries now to their backups.  I would let Settle walk (though I would gladly trade him for Payne long-term and use the cap savings elsewhere) and cut Ioannidis.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, taylor made said:

Ioannidis' production has fallen off in the 4-3 defense and I think it's a savvy move to cut him. They played him a lot though so who knows what they really think of Tim Settle. As for the draft, I'm generally against a first round WR. 

Perhaps that’s because Ioannidis was hurt in 2020 & then this past season it was clear that our 3rd DT doesn’t get as many snaps as a DT in a 3-4. As a rotational 4-3 DT you get less snaps & less chances to make plays than you do in a 4-3. If he was starting next to Jon Allen in our 4-3, I think his production as a pass rusher would be the same as Payne’s maybe more, but Ioannidis isn’t as good of a run defender as Payne.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, MacDog said:

Apke isn't going anywhere. Guy is the glue that holds our special teams together. I know people don't understand it, but Nate and Ron view him as essential, and it is their opinion that matters most.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, LoganF89 said:

Wait for it...

Jordan Asri  on Twitter: "Washington has re-signed safety Troy Apke to a one-year deal." / Twitter

Edited by MacDog