43M's Delusional Mockumentary 3 - Final Pre Draft Mock(s) - Page 5

43M

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I kind of like it. I don’t think Tyrod Taylor would beat out Mason, though.

Not that Im saying youre wrong, but sometimes I think Im watching a different Mason Rudolph than other Steeler fans.     

Both are career backups and at this point, and maybe Rudolph would beat out Taylor....but in general, Ive seen far more from Taylor than Rudolph.    I cant speak for sure on how good Taylor is now, but at one point, he looked like a guy who could be a decent stop gap for QB desperate teams.   Watching Mason, Ive never seen anything that makes me comfortable having him out on the field for even a second.     Obviously, you dont want either of these guys as your starter, but I dont see anything that Mason brings to the table.     Id almost rather start Haskins over him.   At least he has upside....albeit not likely much.

Just now, 43M said:

Not that Im saying youre wrong, but sometimes I think Im watching a different Mason Rudolph than other Steeler fans.     

Both are career backups and at this point, and maybe Rudolph would beat out Taylor....but in general, Ive seen far more from Taylor than Rudolph.    I cant speak for sure on how good Taylor is now, but at one point, he looked like a guy who could be a decent stop gap for QB desperate teams.   Watching Mason, Ive never seen anything that makes me comfortable having him out on the field for even a second.     Obviously, you dont want either of these guys as your starter, but I dont see anything that Mason brings to the table.     Id almost rather start Haskins over him.   At least he has upside....albeit not likely much.

My take on that is that we've never seen an offense tailored to Mason. The season he started, I felt like he was about to start figuring things out, then gets his head clubbed by Garrett, Duck takes over and wins a couple ugly ones, then they switch back and forth a few times neither playing well. I thought Mason looked clearly more comfortable playing QB than Duck did, before he got clubbed. Then Mason gets that game against the Lions this year where he finds out on Saturday night that he's starting, and still comes 2 fumbles away from winning on the road, albeit against a terrible team, but the Lions were fighters. I don't think Mason is going to be a HoF, or even a Pro Bowl, guy but I'd like to see what he can do with an offense built to his strengths and weaknesses. What does Jimmy G have that Mason doesn't, athletically? Same can be said for Kirk Cousins.  

• Like 1

Tyrod would definitely beat out Mason. Tyrod actually shows glimpses, even as recent as last year, where he looks really good and like a guy who could take a team to the playoffs if he was surrounded by enough talent and a strong defense. He also by all accounts his a great locker room guy. 

His problem has been staying healthy and his consistency. Also he is 32 years old now, I doubt he will suddenly be able to stay healthy for a 17 game season and when do we start to see his athletic skills decline?

No offense @MOSteelers56 but I find it comical when Steelers fans use the line of “we’ve never seen an offense tailored to Mason”. The dude has cement for feet, awful pocket awareness, and is inaccurate as hell on short to medium throws. His only redeeming quality is he sometimes throws a nice deep ball. How do you “tailor” an offense to a guy like that?

We have averaged 13 PPG with Mason as our starter (10 games). That is truly an awful stat.

Had Mason had some really awful luck and been throw into some really tough circumstances? Definitely. But not enough to excuse some of the awful performances we’ve seen out of him. Mason is a Landry Jones/Tommy Maddox clone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Nothing is going to make our offense great in 2022, but worse than last year?  No.   Interior OL should be much improved and a QB who can actually move and throw downfield.    At the very least, our running game should be better.

What exactly has he been reliable at the last couple years?   

Anyway, reliable may not have been the right word.   I just meant he doesnt add a ton to the offense.   He is better off going somewhere where they have a great number 1 to pull attention away from him.   He is a solid number 2 possession WR.   Unfortunately, that doesnt do much for us right now.

Fuller isnt better, but he is a better complimentary WR to DJ and Claypool.   

And we dont actually sign Fuller in my mock, so its a moot point.

You seem to have some ridiculous expectations, like we can/should be getting great players with every signing, including backups.

We have a ton of holes, and we are competing with 31 other teams for players. 

McKinley isnt great, but he is a cheap backup for one of our stronger positions.   If you want to replace him with someone else, thats fine....but its not going to be someone much better than another mediocre player....and if we do sign someone better, it will take money away from another position.

I don't think McKinley will be better than any of the LBs we already have. Cheaper I guess.

Kyle Van Noy I can get behind. As well as Sindey Jones, although I hope the Carlton Davis rumors are true.

We need a true #WR, need to use Juju of the slot. He might have the most reliable hands of all of them imo.

Sir Fumbles A lot aka Tyrod Taylor couldn't make it with the Bills, Browns, or Texans and he is supposed to be better for us? I'm not buying it. 

Lastly, I really hope Edmunds walks and Jordan Whitehead is signed. 

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The dude has cement for feet, awful pocket awareness, and is inaccurate as hell on short to medium throws.

What I see with him is not necessarily this. I see him as someone that doesn't do well off script. Our offense has never had a script. We get an OC that wants to build an offense, and he can't because Ben can't do it. If we allow Mason to have a good script, with an improved O-line, I think we'll see a much better QB. The brunt of Mason's starts came under Fichtner's offense(if that's what you call that).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What I see with him is not necessarily this. I see him as someone that doesn't do well off script. Our offense has never had a script. We get an OC that wants to build an offense, and he can't because Ben can't do it. If we allow Mason to have a good script, with an improved O-line, I think we'll see a much better QB. The brunt of Mason's starts came under Fichtner's offense(if that's what you call that).

Off script is something we need a QB who is  good at which makes him a horrible fit for our offense. Also, he sucks.

The difference between him and Tyrod is that he can run, cuz he sucks.

Edited by wwhickok

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Off script is something we need a QB who is  good at which makes him a horrible fit for our offense.

Exactly. Our offense under Fitchner needed an ability to go off script, which Mason isn’t good at. Canada’s offense looks like it’s going to be more rhythm based and scripted. Mason can do that. Ben couldn’t. That’s a reason why the offense stunk last year. Obviously there are better options than Mason, I’d just like to see what it’d look like. I’d rather Mason start than any QB in this draft other than maybe Willis.

23 hours ago, 43M said:

Nice post. I won't reply to everything, but I have a few comments.

QB - Mariota is one of my few targets in free agency along with Trubisky. I think both guys could have rebounded careers in the right situation. I'm not a fan of Tyrod Taylor or Jacoby Brissett. I think they've both shown their ceilings, so if the Steelers sign them it is just to have a semi-competent back-up. As for Rudolph, he has started only 10 games. I know he is a 4 year vet, but only starting 10 games is not enough to have a fair evaluation of what he is capable of.

RB - The Steelers actually have 4 RBs under contract for 2022. So, I am not expecting anything here, except maybe a late round pick or UDFA to see if they can bump one of the current guys off the roster. However, none of the guys really cost that much, so it will have to be a Willie Parker type situation, IMO.

WR - While only two are noteworthy, the Steelers have 7 WRs under contract for 2022. Cody White and Anthony Miller dressed some games in 2021. It doesn't mean anything, but it is something to take note of. If the Steelers lose all three of McCloud, JJSS, and Washington, then it is very likely they will bring in FAs and draft at least one WR. I honestly don't know who, but I hope for at least one really fast guy to back up defenses a little bit.

TE - I was surprised to learn the Steelers sign Jace Sternberger for 2022. I'm sure why he didn't work out in GB, but he was a 2019 3rd round pick. So the Steelers have 4 TEs under contract for 2022. I can see them getting another body or two, but I don't see a big splash here.

OL - The Steelers have 9 OL under contract for 2022, plus JC Hasslehoff (sp?) as a ERFA. They are slated to pay Banner $6.6 M, and I am just not sure that is going to happen. After that, there is Haeg for $3.1 M. That is probably about right. I think it is obvious if the Steelers are serious about competing in 2022, they need at least two solid FAs to add to the group in addition to at least one high draft pick. Otherwise, they are pseudo-tanking the season for a high pick in 2023, IMO.

DL - They have 11 guys signed plus another ERFA. If they target anyone it is to replace the mediocrity of the many of 11 guys, and look toward 2023 and beyond after Alualu and Wormley are likely gone. I agree Tuitt is a concern. It be really nice if he would comment publicly about his plans for 2022.

OLB - This is one of the most shallow positions on the team. Tuszka is the only real back-up they have. I think Charlton is a complete FA, but I could be wrong. If the Steelers do not pick up a good FA, I can see this being a target in the draft.

ILB - I agree with Schobert. I hope they bring in a really good LB next to Bush. Re-sign Spillaine and then you're set. You just have to hope that Bush plays close to where he was his rookie season. Otherwise, it will be a huge need in 2023.

CB - If they bring back WItherspoon, then CB is less of a concern. Obviously, they don't have that shutdown guy, but they have talent. I wouldn't mind a FA and a draft pick to add to the mix

S - They key is can they bring back Edmunds on a decent deal? If not, then they will need a FA or draft pick. I am high on Jalen Pitre from Baylor. He played really well this past season, and he was a Senior Bowl stand out.

Special Teams – I think Harvin will be the default starter. Hopefully, he be on a short leash.

Initial Free Agent Signings

I got nothing here, but hoping QB, G, OLB

Draft

R1. Green in the 1st is an excellent pick. I like him or Zion Johnson. 

R2. Jalen Pitre, S/CB, Baylor. This guy is special, and may not make it out of the 1st.

R3. OLB I think, not sure who.

R4. DL

R6. QB maybe. Need a camp arm and who knows, you might get lucky with a guy like Aqeel Glass.

R7. A couple guys for STs: CB, RB. WR, LB

Late Free Agent Signings

I got nothing here, but fill in holes where needed.

Rough 2022 Depth Chart

QB:  Rudolph / Haskins / FA / rookie
RB:  Najee Harris / Snell / McFarland / FA 
FB: Derek Watt
WR:  Dionte Johnson / Chase Claypool / ? / ? / ?
TE:  Pat Friermuth / Zach Gentry / Rader / Sternberger
LT:  Dan Moore / Chuks Okorafor 
LG: Kenyon Green /
C:  FA / Kendrick Green 
RG: Kevin Dotson /
RT:  FA / Joe Haeg

DE:  Cam Heyward  /  Chris Wormley / Isaiah Loudermilk
NT:  Tyson Alualu /  Carlos Davis (or UDFA or cheap FA)
DE:  Stephon Tuitt / Zachary Carter
OLB:  Alex Highsmith / FA /rookie
ILB: Devin Bush / Buddy Johnson
ILB:  FA / Robert Spillane
OLB: TJ Watt / Tuszka
CB: Witherspoon / James Pierre
CB: FA
Nickle: Cam Sutton / Tre Norwood
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick / Miles Kilibrew (or UDFA or cheap FA)
SS:  Jalen Pitre / FA

K:  Boz
P: Pressley Harvin
RS:  ???

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I don't think McKinley will be better than any of the LBs we already have. Cheaper I guess.

Riddle me this.....who do we have at OLB behind Watt and Highsmith?

We need a true #WR, need to use Juju of the slot. He might have the most reliable hands of all of them imo.

He does....easily....but he still isn't a great fit RIGHT NOW.    

Im not opposed to keeping Juju, but it would have to be fairly cheap.    He isnt a number 1 WR, and without a true 1 next to him, he is very underwhelming.

Sir Fumbles A lot aka Tyrod Taylor couldn't make it with the Bills, Browns, or Texans and he is supposed to be better for us? I'm not buying it. 

????

Dude, we arent signing him to be a long term franchise QB.   We are signing him to be a cheap, temporary veteran stop gap and someone to compete vs what we have.

Realistically, who would you sign at QB?

There are other guys Id rather have, but based on my mock and the money we spend,  Tyrod is one of the few options left.

Lastly, I really hope Edmunds walks and Jordan Whitehead is signed. 

I wish we could replace the entire secondary sans Minkah. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Riddle me this.....who do we have at OLB behind Watt and Highsmith?

He does....easily....but he still isn't a great fit RIGHT NOW.    

Im not opposed to keeping Juju, but it would have to be fairly cheap.    He isnt a number 1 WR, and without a true 1 next to him, he is very underwhelming.

????

Dude, we arent signing him to be a long term franchise QB.   We are signing him to be a cheap, temporary veteran stop gap and someone to compete vs what we have.

Realistically, who would you sign at QB?

There are other guys Id rather have, but based on my mock and the money we spend,  Tyrod is one of the few options left.

I wish we could replace the entire secondary sans Minkah. 

At QB, who would I sign.. honestly.. no one. I hate to say that but I don't think anyone of options makes us a better team.

Also I'm saying I don't think MxKinley was any better than Taco Charlton or anyone else that was here. 

Also, your mock gets rid of Juju but doesn't solve the WR problem at all..  

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

At QB, who would I sign.. honestly.. no one. I hate to say that but I don't think anyone of options makes us a better team.

I dont TOTALLY disagree, but I have no doubt they will likely sign a vet at some point, if only for competition.

Also I'm saying I don't think MxKinley was any better than Taco Charlton or anyone else that was here.

You didnt answer my question.

Who do we have behind Watt and Highsmith RIGHT NOW?   

Ill save you the time....no one.

What exactly made Charlton much better?    Im not saying McKinley is great or even good.  He isnt.,,,but lets stop acting like he some kind of significant step back from anyone we had last year as depth at OLB.    

Like I said....if you want to replace McKinley with another FA linebacker....by all means.    McKinley just represents the type of FA OLB we likely will sign....a cheap backup.

Also, your mock gets rid of Juju but doesn't solve the WR problem at all..  

Uhh...we draft a WR in the 2nd round and sign a cheap FA.

What exactly has Juju done in the last 3 years?   

Yes, he has better hands than the other guys, but what else does he bring that we dont already have?   He struggles getting open consistently.   Is not a great downfield threat.    Plus I always get the impression he loves the attention of being an NFL player more than he actually loves playing football.

If you are up for paying him $8 to 10 mil per year (if not more)....good for you.

Im not.     

Edited by 43M

This isn't even painfully mediocre....it's pie in the sky.

We're gonna resign Juju, try to bargain hunt a QB too much, resign Edmunds, give up yet another future pick for a player in the 3rd with a "1st round grade", start Mason, be 7-10, and everyone is going to blame Tomlin rather than the lame duck GM who's too conservative to make a bold move.

I hate this team at times.  

They need to be making the big swing signings this offseason and next offseason so come draft they feel comfortable giving up multiple years to get a franchise QB and they don't have to worry about building around him, rather the bones are there.

Our biggest issues at WR right now are...

1)  We lack a true number one caliber WR

2)  Our WRs lack consistency and complimentary skillsets

3) We have no one that can really stretch the field and keep defenses on their toes.

Resigning Juju doesn't fix a SINGLE one of those issues.

Edited by 43M

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Our biggest issues at WR right now are...

1)  We lack a true number one caliber WR

2)  Our WRs lack consistency and complimentary skillsets

3) We have no one that can really stretch the field and keep defenses on their toes.

Resigning Juju doesn't fix a SINGLE one of those issues.

Doesn't matter.  As long as they think that group is good, then they'll do it.  I'm extremely pessimistic this morning.  I think between the Browns trade, Denver getting better, Brady coming back, and Colbert's comment about "business as usual" I'm just in a very pissy mood about this team.

Also - I find it funny how, even on this board, people were so happy to parrot KC's BS line on "we don't spend in FA because we don't have cap space" but then when we have cap space his line is "well we're not going to spend".  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Doesn't matter.  As long as they think that group is good, then they'll do it.  I'm extremely pessimistic this morning.  I think between the Browns trade, Denver getting better, Brady coming back, and Colbert's comment about "business as usual" I'm just in a very pissy mood about this team.

Not saying you're wrong about Juju...just stating the facts.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also - I find it funny how, even on this board, people were so happy to parrot KC's BS line on "we don't spend in FA because we don't have cap space" but then when we have cap space his line is "well we're not going to spend".  

I recall making a thread over a year ago about how we were spinning tires with Ben, Tomlin and Colbert.

I also recall stating it was idiotic to let Colbert build a team he isnt going to be with going forward.

Seinfeld Whatever GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1