43M's Delusional Mockumentary 3 - Final Pre Draft Mock(s) - Page 5

43M

I usually don't do mock drafts until like...a week before the draft, but this is a more pivotal and interesting offseason than any we have had in a while.    

This offseason hasn’t started off anywhere close to how I hoped, but it is what it is.    This mock is somewhere between what I WANT to happen and what I think actually WILL happen.     I try to operate within the parameters of the reality of how this organization typically operates.

So, without further adieu…

Position Assessments

QB -  There really was never really a positive outlook for the Steelers QB situation in 2022.    The draft class is weak and the FA class has some okay stopgaps, I suppose, but no long term solutions or quality starters outside of couple players who will be extremely overpriced.     Still, I would likely sign a vet to a cheap contract.    If needed, wait until after the draft when there should be someone available.   It doesn’t have to be someone notable….just a vet so that Rudolph isn’t handed the job.   I'm thinking Marcus Mariota.   I think he would take a cheap one year prove it deal for a chance to start over signing somewhere else a as a backup.   Beyond that, guys like Tyrod Taylor and even Andy Dalton could get a look.   I know many will scoff at that, but I cant see them going into next season with our current stable.   They will add…..SOMEONE. 

RB – I hate how our RBs are handled under Tomlin.  He runs them into the ground without any regard for how it affects their future.   I understand getting the most out of RBs when they are younger, but we should have a decent change of pace back that can give Najee a rest and preserve him, especially now that there is a 17th game every year.    I think they would like James Connor back, but I think he opts to stay in Arizona .    Someone like Duke Johnson could be brought in to compete for one of the jobs, and decide to look to the draft for a someone to potentially push Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland OFF the roster.   If they cant find a late rounder or UDFA they like, they could always bring in another low cost FA before training camp.    Najee is going to be a workhorse back and Tomlin will abuse him because he is an idiot, so they probably wont put much focus on RB, if any.    If they do, it will probably be some mediocre gimmick player they overdraft like they did with Dri Archer several years back.

WR -  Juju and Washington are gone.   Juju just isn’t dependable and Washington is probably angry they didn’t give him a better shot to succeed over the years, plus isnt much better than average.    If Juju came back on a far cheaper contract, Id give him another year or two, but at this point, it might just be worth moving on.     I see Dionte Johnson getting an extension, albeit not an extremely large one due to his inconsistencies catching the ball.    I'm thinking something like 3 years/$24M, with most the hit coming in his 2nd year.   

With Juju and Washington gone, DJ and Claypool are likely the set-in-stone starters next year, but we have ZILCH behind them.     I have no doubt they will draft a WR.   The question is “when”.    I hope not too early, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked to see us spend a day 2 pick on one.  I would prefer to see us get a WR like Will Fuller to replace Juju, since I think he would be a good compliment to our top 2 and allow them to move Claypool around.    Beyond that, Id love to see us add someone like Zay Jones or Marquis Goodwin to take over for Washington.

TE -  Pat is our TE of the future, but there is an area of concern with his early concussions.   Regardless, TE wont be a major focus of 2022.    Pat is the starter, Gentry will be one of the backups and I actually like him.    After that, again, a UDFA, or a low cost vet like Tyler Croft, or maybe OJ Howard, depending on his price.   However, I wont be shocked if they don’t do much here except maybe a late rounder or UDFA.

OL -   Oy….so much work, and its likely not going to be fixed in one offseason unless we get lucky with several things.    No one on the 2021 OL should be guaranteed a starter job next year.  Im not saying none of them WILL start, just that no one should be HANDED a job.      At OT, I think Eric Fisher should get a look.    Both OT positions need help, and I think bringing Fisher in could allow us to kick Dan Moore to RT and perhaps improve both positions.   I don’t know if Moore would handle that switch well or not, but he will have the chance to compete for that job.    I would also look at a center, perhaps like Bradley Bozeman.   I know many Steelers fans want Ryan Jensen, but he will likely cost too much and is on the wrong side of 30.   Bozeman is younger, might be cheaper unless someone really goes nuts, and might be a better fit for us.

DL -   I have a feeling Tuitt is going to retire or at least be cut, BUT, I will remain optimistic for now and say we will get not only him back, but Alualu returns one final year as well.    Guys like Chris Wormley and Isaih Loudermilk are quality backups, but this line is getting really long in the tooth, and we need to start addressing.   However, I don’t know that it will be this year.  At least not early.  I could see us drafting one on day 3 sometime and bringing in a UDFA, but unless Tuitt and/or Alualu retires (which again, is very possible), I doubt we sign a vet FA this offseason.  

OLB – TJ and Highsmith will be the starters, but we don’t have much behind them.  It sucks that Melvin Ingram didn’t work out.   Takkarist McKinley could be an affordable option.   After that, it will probably be a late pick or UDFA.

ILB -  Cut Schobert yesterday….he blows.   Devin Bush looks awful too, but with a reformed DLine and a better complimentary back next to him, he could get back to being semi decent.     Some okay options in FA have opened up, and I think Kyle Van Noy would be a great fit, especially given his ties to Flores.    If he wants too much, maybe look at a guy like Kwon Alexander.   There is always a chance we draft one on day 2, as well.

CB -   After OL, our biggest issue.     We have no starting caliber CBs on the roster going iuto 2022.     Even Haden really isn’t a true starter anymore…just kind of a stop gap, but we may need to bring him back if he is willing to come back cheap.  Guys like Donte Jackson and JC Jackson are pipe dreams, but Id love it.  Akhillo Weatherspoon is up in the air, but I think we lose him because our front office constantly mismanages the secondary.   I wouldn’t mind bringing back Stephen Nelson again, but I doubt it.   I think the most realistic scenario is giving Haden a one year deal, bringing in Sidney Jones to compete, and then drafting someone in the first 3 rounds.   Sutton would return to being the nickel, and guys like Layne, Norwood, Pierre and a UDFA could compete for the remaining back end spots.

S -   While I am not nearly as high on Minkah Fitzpatrick as some are, he will get a long term contract.    He isnt all bad, but I feel like it’s a contract we might regret in a few years.   That being said, he is going to get a new contract from us, whether I like how much he gets or not, so he is a lock going forward.     After that…nothing.   Edminds could very well be brought back, but why?   If it was cheap, I wouldn’t complain much because we have so many issues….but overall, he is very replaceable player.   Guys like Keanu Neal and Jordan Whitehead could come in and probably give us everything he could, although I don’t know that they are notable upgrades either.   Depending on the cost, I also wouldn’t mind bringing him Larmarcus Joyner.   I don’t think he is starting caliber anymore, but I think he has value in certain packages and gives us depth.

Special Teams – Boz obviously.    There should be an open competition at punter.    Not sure about RS.   Fire Danny Smith.  Blah blah blah.

Initial Free Agent Signings

C Bradley Bozeman (4 years)
ILB Kyle Van Noy  (2 years)
WR Marquise Goodwin (1 year)
RB Duke Johnson (2 years)
CB Sidney Jones (3 years)
OT Takk McKinley (2 years)
S Terrell Edmunds (Resigned - 3 years)

Draft

Disclaimer -   There are many people on this forum more familiar and knowledgeable about this overall draft class than I am.     This draft, again, is kind of an amalgamation of what I think WILL happen and what Id like to see.  

Round 1  -  OG Kenyon Green – Texas A&M
Round 2  -  WR Jahan Dotson – Penn State
Round 3  -  DL Zachary Carter – Florida
Round 4 (Comp) – CB Vincent Gray – Michigan
Round 6 – OT George Moore – Oregon
Round 7 – RB Tyler Goodson – Iowa
Round 7 – S Isaiah Polo-Mau – USC

Late Free Agent Signings

CB Joe Haden (1 year)
QB Tyrod Taylor (1 year)
TE Tyler Kroft (1 year)
LT Chuks Okorafor (1 year)
ILB Robert Spillane (2 years)

Rough 2022 Depth Chart

QB:  Tyrod Taylor  /  Mason Rudolph  /  Dwayne Haskins
RB:  Najee Harris  /  Duke Johnson  /  Tyler Goodson
FB: Derek Watt
WR:  Dionte Johnson / Chase Claypool /  Jahan Dotson / Marquise Goodson / Anthony Miller
TE:  Pat Friermuth / Zach Gentry / Tyler Kroft
LT:  Dan Moore / Chuks Okorafor (George Moore PS)
LG: Kenyon Green /
C:  Bradley Bozeman / Kendrick Green 
RG: Kevin Dotson /
RT:  Zach Banner / Joe Haeg

DE:  Cam Heyward  /  Chris Wormley / Isaiah Loudermilk
NT:  Tyson Alualu /  Carlos Davis (or UDFA or cheap FA)
DE:  Stephon Tuitt / Zachary Carter
OLB:  Alex Highsmith/Takk McKinley
ILB: Devin Bush / Buddy Johnson (or UDFA)
ILB:  Kyle Van Noy / Robert Spillane
OLB: TJ Watt / UDFA or Cheap FA
CB: Joe Haden / James Pierre
CB: Sidney Jones / Vincent Gray
Nickle: Cam Sutton / Tre Norwood
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick / Miles Kilibrew (or UDFA or cheap FA)
SS:  Terrell Edmunds / S Issiah Pola-Mau

K:  Boz
P: Pressley Harvin
RS:  ???

Come On GIF by HBO Max

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

I do think they’ll make a major investment at WR, whether it’s FA or the draft.

I also think you severely underestimate what DJ would get on the open market…if Mike Williams can get 3/60 and Kirk is rumored to get $15 AAV, then DJ should get something along those lines.

I do like the vet additions at LB.

I could get on board with this.

DJ will definitely get more than 8/year IMO.

Give me Mariota over Tyrod. At least Mariota can stay healthy, young, and has the draft pedigree we like.

I actually love the Dotson pick in the 2nd

I really hope we re-sign Weatherspoon. He was awesome down the stretch last year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Not a fan of Vincent Gray at CB.  I like all the others but not Gray.  Akayleb Evans is one I like in that range of picks.  Chase Lucas is another.

You very likely know more about the CBs in the mid round range than I do.    I drafted him because he is one of the few Im familiar with in that range and he has nice length.    You could plug someone else in and I would be fine with that.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I could get on board with this.

Give me Mariota over Tyrod. At least Mariota can stay healthy, young, and has the draft pedigree we like.

I actually love the Dotson pick in the 2nd

I really hope we re-sign Weatherspoon. He was awesome down the stretch last year. 

I would take Mariota too.  But if we waited until after the draft, my thought is he would be gone.   I think Tyrod might still be there.

Dotson is the only WR Id take that early.

I agree about Witherspoon, but I think he will be another example of us horribly mismanaging our secondary.   Wasted a 4th to get him, dont start using him immediately, and then lose him in FA.   Sounds like something we would do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFF said:

I also think you severely underestimate what DJ would get on the open market…if Mike Williams can get 3/60 and Kirk is rumored to get $15 AAV, then DJ should get something along those lines.

Maybe I am underestimating it....but Im not entirely sure about "severely".

Juju couldnt find a big market last year, and Juju showed more than DJ.

Unless teams ignore DJs massive inconsistencies....I dont see why anyone would pay him $15m a year.     Maybe $10 to 12.   

But it could happen, I suppose.   Just hope it isnt us.

2 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Although, I believe (and fear) we’ll trade up for Willis. Sounds like they love him. 

Worst case scenario, Im not sure what Id choose...

Trading a future 1st to move up for Willis

OR

Trading 3 future firsts and some more to get Deshaun Watson.

• Like 1

Sadly I think this is exactly how our offense will go.

I think its pretty pathetic and actually makes our team worse.

I also don't agree at all that Juju isn't reliable. Will Fuller is a big step backwards from Juju imo.

McKinley is a journeyman poster child for mediocrity. 

The draft is meh, I like our first 2 picks but I also think they would only happen because we didn't do anything worth mentioning with the cap space we got. 

28 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Sadly I think this is exactly how our offense will go.

I think its pretty pathetic and actually makes our team worse.

Nothing is going to make our offense great in 2022, but worse than last year?  No.   Interior OL should be much improved and a QB who can actually move and throw downfield.    At the very least, our running game should be better.

I also don't agree at all that Juju isn't reliable. Will Fuller is a big step backwards from Juju imo.

What exactly has he been reliable at the last couple years?   

Anyway, reliable may not have been the right word.   I just meant he doesnt add a ton to the offense.   He is better off going somewhere where they have a great number 1 to pull attention away from him.   He is a solid number 2 possession WR.   Unfortunately, that doesnt do much for us right now.

Fuller isnt better, but he is a better complimentary WR to DJ and Claypool.   

And we dont actually sign Fuller in my mock, so its a moot point.

McKinley is a journeyman poster child for mediocrity. 

You seem to have some ridiculous expectations, like we can/should be getting great players with every signing, including backups.

We have a ton of holes, and we are competing with 31 other teams for players. 

McKinley isnt great, but he is a cheap backup for one of our stronger positions.   If you want to replace him with someone else, thats fine....but its not going to be someone much better than another mediocre player....and if we do sign someone better, it will take money away from another position.

• Like 1

Kenyon Green is a plug and play 10+ year starter. Think David DeCastro. The only reason I prefer Zion Johnson is body type. 

Dotson would be a good fit opposite DJ and could challenge for WR2 as a rookie.

Carter is someone I'm not familiar with. I'll check him out today.

Gray is a combative and feisty CB. Struggles playing the catch point but he is a solid tackler and could be a day ST standout. Maybe he can develop as a Nickel/Safety.

I don't know Moore so more research for me.

Goodson has nice burst and speed. I think he runs with some toughness so I like him.

Polo-Mao has size and plays with his hair on fire. Being the cousin of Troy P, he also has a knack for making plays on the ball. Versatile defender.

Overall I see two day 1 starters in Green and Dotson with some guys being able to contribute on STs. What I really like are the FAs that you signed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Kenyon Green is a plug and play 10+ year starter. Think David DeCastro. The only reason I prefer Zion Johnson is body type. 

Dotson would be a good fit opposite DJ and could challenge for WR2 as a rookie.

Carter is someone I'm not familiar with. I'll check him out today.

Gray is a combative and feisty CB. Struggles playing the catch point but he is a solid tackler and could be a day ST standout. Maybe he can develop as a Nickel/Safety.

I don't know Moore so more research for me.

Goodson has nice burst and speed. I think he runs with some toughness so I like him.

Polo-Mao has size and plays with his hair on fire. Being the cousin of Troy P, he also has a knack for making plays on the ball. Versatile defender.

Overall I see two day 1 starters in Green and Dotson with some guys being able to contribute on STs. What I really like are the FAs that you signed. 

Edit: Zachary Carter is a monster. He can play 5 Tech but he's also good rushing from the DT position. No hyperbole but I see Cam Heyward in his game. Needs to work on getting off blocks but this young man is highly disruptive. Color me impressed 💯

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Worst case scenario, Im not sure what Id choose...

Trading a future 1st to move up for Willis

OR

Trading 3 future firsts and some more to get Deshaun Watson.

Trading 3 future firsts would be worse imo. That would be the mediocre hell everyone here fears I think. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

I kind of like it. I don’t think Tyrod Taylor would beat out Mason, though. But regardless of which one is the starter, the team you built is better than last years. Better o-line, more fluid WR room, better d-line, better ILB, push for EDGE, push(at least) for secondary. I’d rather have Montravius Adams than Davis backing up the nose, but that’s pretty nit picky.

I can see Moore, Highsmith, and Loudermilk taking big steps forward next year. If that happens, plus your moves, it’ll be a fun team to watch. Much more fun to watch than that Frankenstein’s creation of an offense we had last year. That was disgusting.

• Like 1