2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That stinks about Tuitt. Especially with Hicks just signing. I think we might take a swing at adding another DE. I’ll feel a lot less comfortable going into the season with Wormely as the starter. Unless he’s gotten a whole lot better. He’d be serviceable as long as Alualu is healthy, but just serviceable.

Wormley is a nice situational pass rusher.   Huge liability vs the run.

• Like 1

Here is my 2023 mock draft:

1. Connor Galvin OT Baylor

2. BeeJay Williamson S Louisiana Tech

3.Cory Durden NT NC State

4. Jaquelin Roy DLine LSU

6. Jordan Domineck EDGE Arkansas

7. Bumper Pool ILB Arkansas

11 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So, now do we have an extra 9 mill laying around? If so, what do we do with it?

Gives us ability to do some extensions that add money without having to restructure anyone.  That’s never happened. Or keep it to roll over to next year. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Gives us ability to do some extensions that add money without having to restructure anyone.  That’s never happened. Or keep it to roll over to next year. 

That....plus I see us bringing in another vet DL.    Might only be a cheap one, but I dont think they will be 100% comfortable going into the offseason with this DL.    I see them at least adding someone to compete with Leal/Loudermilk/Wormley.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

So, now do we have an extra 9 mill laying around? If so, what do we do with it?

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/updating-steelers-2022-salary-cap-situation-following-retirement-of-de-stephon-tuitt/

Article was written on this very subject by Dave Bryan at Steelers Depot. Pretty good breakdown of potential moves and includes signing draft picks QB Kenny Pickett and WR Calvin Austin. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 43M said:

That....plus I see us bringing in another vet DL.    Might only be a cheap one, but I don't think they will be 100% comfortable going into the offseason with this DL.    I see them at least adding someone to compete with Leal/Loudermilk/Wormley.

I agree with you here. Now that Hicks signed in Tampa Bay, they may wait until training camp. They will most likely look to land  a potential veteran cap casualty.  The only sort of big name that sort of comes to mind as a free agent is Ndamukong Suh. But he is 35, probably going to be fairly expensive, and while a huge talent, not sure of the scheme fit (with the Steelers) at  this point in his career. He has the size and body type though.  Maybe take a flyer on Malik Jackson to see if anything is left in the tank. I think he had some injury issues in the past like Hicks. 

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree with you here. Now that Hicks signed in Tampa Bay, they may wait until training camp. They will most likely look to land  a potential veteran cap casualty.  The only sort of big name that sort of comes to mind as a free agent is Ndamukong Suh. But he is 35, probably going to be fairly expensive, and while a huge talent, not sure of the scheme fit (with the Steelers) at  this point in his career. He has the size and body type though.  Maybe take a flyer on Malik Jackson to see if anything is left in the tank. I think he had some injury issues in the past like Hicks. 

It’s crazy to me that Suh is 35. It feels like yesterday I was watching him make power 5 o-lineman look like 4th graders. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, 43M said:

That....plus I see us bringing in another vet DL.    Might only be a cheap one, but I dont think they will be 100% comfortable going into the offseason with this DL.    I see them at least adding someone to compete with Leal/Loudermilk/Wormley.

It's certainly Khan's first test as a GM.  Does he go the Colbert route, trust the guy that's on the roster, and bring in the bottom feeder expecting everyone to step up; or does he do something new, and bring in someone established, and lean on heavy DL rotation to make that signing worth it in near and long term

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:31 AM, warfelg said:

It's certainly Khan's first test as a GM.  Does he go the Colbert route, trust the guy that's on the roster, and bring in the bottom feeder expecting everyone to step up; or does he do something new, and bring in someone established, and lean on heavy DL rotation to make that signing worth it in near and long term

I could see this being what I will term somewhere in the middle. By that I mean, they may wait to see how Loudermilk looks in pads and pre-season games.  They will have Tyson back and I actually like what I saw from Adams.  The Adams/Tyson tandem may be a solid IDL rotation. Loudermilk is a huge ?. We know what we get from Wormley ( a far better rotation piece than starter). Is Loudermilk ready to step in and can he play a full time role? I am not expecting Tuitt play in year two, but does he show potential/growth? If he looks ready, I can see them going with:

1. Adams

2. Alul Alu

3. Davis (Carlos or Khalil) 

4. Heyward

5. Leal

6. Loudermilk

7. Wormley

I think they would consider adding a name (a solid veteran) if someone with experience becomes a cap casualty. I don't think it becomes a priority until they see what they have with Loudermilk and perhaps Leal shows some flashes. I still like the  idea of a true NG like a Danny Shelton, but I understand why that isn't a priority for the team right now. 

9 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I could see this being what I will term somewhere in the middle. By that I mean, they may wait to see how Loudermilk looks in pads and pre-season games.  They will have Tyson back and I actually like what I saw from Adams.  The Adams/Tyson tandem may be a solid IDL rotation. Loudermilk is a huge ?. We know what we get from Wormley ( a far better rotation piece than starter). Is Loudermilk ready to step in and can he play a full time role? I am not expecting Tuitt play in year two, but does he show potential/growth? If he looks ready, I can see them going with:

1. Adams

2. Alul Alu

3. Davis (Carlos or Khalil) 

4. Heyward

5. Leal

6. Loudermilk

7. Wormley

I think they would consider adding a name (a solid veteran) if someone with experience becomes a cap casualty. I don't think it becomes a priority until they see what they have with Loudermilk and perhaps Leal shows some flashes. I still like the  idea of a true NG like a Danny Shelton, but I understand why that isn't a priority for the team right now. 

Think of it this way though. If Tuitt is in that mix both Davis bros are gone. Adams is iffy. Maybe Wormley becomes a trade candidate. Get a vet now in that mix and nothing changes. Take the vet out and Adams makes it, Wormley won’t be traded, and one of the Davis bros make it maybe.