2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

I like the first 4 rounds. After that I don’t know much about the guys. I think there are some can’t miss CB prospects(even for us) and Elam is one of them. I’d disagree with your Bryant comp on Ross, but I really like him. Ross has his fluidity in the air, but he’s a much better catcher of the football. Ross is a strong hands catcher while MB was a body catcher. Bryant’s speed was unquestionably better than Ross too. Ross will be the better WR. I love Cross pick, especially because it’s a 3rd and not a 1st for Cine. I’d still like to bring back Edmunds, or someone else to start. Bell is my least favorite of the 4, buts he’s ok. He reminds me of a better route running JuJu. Passionate guy, good teammate, tough. His testing numbers were really bad, though. I think he’ll play better than he tests, but it’s worrisome. 

40 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like the first 4 rounds. After that I don’t know much about the guys. I think there are some can’t miss CB prospects(even for us) and Elam is one of them. I’d disagree with your Bryant comp on Ross, but I really like him. Ross has his fluidity in the air, but he’s a much better catcher of the football. Ross is a strong hands catcher while MB was a body catcher. Bryant’s speed was unquestionably better than Ross too. Ross will be the better WR. I love Cross pick, especially because it’s a 3rd and not a 1st for Cine. I’d still like to bring back Edmunds, or someone else to start. Bell is my least favorite of the 4, buts he’s ok. He reminds me of a better route running JuJu. Passionate guy, good teammate, tough. His testing numbers were really bad, though. I think he’ll play better than he tests, but it’s worrisome. 

I’ll be honest missing out on the Arkansas kid really hurt my plans. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Ok, throwing a little Wednesday morning mock at yall via PFF:

20th OVERALL :: I've got quite a bit of interesting options in front of me. I have calls from GB, Chi, Min, NO, LAC.  There's a guy I want that will last the few picks to 22 that GB is throwing on the table.  Might even be there at 28.  So I package together something at 28.  Hey it's been an unconventional offseason so why not embrace that with this pick.

Trade got accepted:

PITT OUT: 20

GB OUT: 28, 92, 140, 171, 2023 4th

28th OVERALL :: Well that backfired on me.  Treylon Burks who I was targeting went at 21 to New England.  However there's a silver lining to this, a guy I expected to be done by now is still on the board.

Kaiir Elam CB Florida

It was down to Elam and Booth.  Booth was targeted enough and despite the skills, he had troubles in the ACC while Elam was penalized enough but he shut down guys in the SEC.  That tipped my scales, as Elam is more battle tested.

52nd OVERALL :: So I'm worried about falling in the same trap as NE, Arizona, Cincinnati, and Carolina calls.  Yes, I'm about to go deeper than I should.  But there's enough WR needy teams.  I pass up Bonitto, Asamoah, Muma, Harris and I dip my toe in the small school pools.

Justyn Ross WR Clemson

Good size at 6'4" and 205 pounds.  I know the knock is that he's failed to be as good as his freshman year.  Reminds me so much of a former Clemson WR we took a shot on in Martavius Bryant.  Tombert showed a lot of interest in him during their pro day visit, so I wouldn't be shocked to see if he's one of our picks.

84th overall :: Not interested in a trade here at all despite the picks not looking great.  Mostly because there's a guy here that I think 100% is on the Steelers board.

Nick Cross S Maryland

Good size at 6'1" and 215 LBS.  Ran a 4.34 in the 40 as well.  Rather than spend a 1st on Cine, spend a 3rd on Cross and get the same impact in the end IMO.  Big and physical enough to be a SS he's got the speed and range to play single high as well.

92nd overall :: Like at 84, I'm not too keen on trading down even though the guy I want to pick can likely be had a little later.  

David Bell WR Purdue

I think some of his draft status is getting hurt by the Purdue QB play.  I'm not concerned by the 40 times of him or Ross, as they both have a good burst to their game, and Bell has shown to be a great hand catcher and has the ability to separate.  In fact, I think Bell can be who we hope DJ can be.

138th overall :: Micah McFadden LB Indiana Going shorter with these explainers, but he's a Vince Williams replacement as he's more of a thumper than coverage guy.

140th overall :: Otito Ogbonnia DL UCLA A quizi Tuitt and Alualu replacement as he's 6'4" and 320 LBS. But more of a run stuffer like Loudermilk.

171st overall :: Zonovan Knight RB North Carolina State Some were at his pro day, and we are in dire need of a better Harris backup.

208th overall :: Adam Anderson ED Georgia

225th overall :: Tyrese Robinson T Oklahoma

241st overall :: Kaleb Eleby QB Western Michigan

Love the trade back and most of the positions and players, mostly because it would not be a qb or a trade up. But I just don’t trust tuitt’s situation or alualu’s health or age or Heyward’s to a degree. CH’s going to be 33 which is even older than I thought. I don’t trust the talent of the backups either. And if they wanna run a hybrid nickel base, I’d rather us get a talented 3T than a first round CB, especially when we run a matchup zone d( I think that what it is at least). I’d also rather get a solid nickel back later in the draft. Can’t fault anything else except maybe the MLB/ILB. That’s nit picky though. Solid B to an A depending on how our run defense/DTs pan out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I see a bigger Deebo Samuels. It’s a perfect fit for Canadas offense more than anyone on the roster. 

I see JuJu 2.0.  They need a burner.  Perhaps if you want to spend another draft pick on Wr with some speed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd like to see it go like this

Dax Hill
Justyn Ross
Phidarian Mathis
Tyquan Thornton

I’m starting to be on the outs of Hill. Feels like Peppers and Bush at Michigan. You spot him on tape because he’s always near the ball yet never seems to be the one making the play. 

Isn't it weird that people knock Olave for his size, but don't nearly as much with Garrett Wilson? I'm having a hard time understanding how Wilson is looked at as the better prospect. Basically what I see is a 6' 185, shifty, fast, hands catching WR. Is the main difference run blocking? I see both of them as slightly suped up Diontae Johnsons. I'd take Jameson Williams over both. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s feels like a trending Michigan thing. The 6’ 220 athlete who happens to play football that gets hyped. 

I was looking a little more at him and I don't see it as much. No doubt Devin Bush was like that. I don't really remember looking that much at Peppers so I'll take your word with him. Hill certainly shows a lot more of a nose for the ball than Bush did in college. He looks like an effective blitzer. Can carry a TE up the seam. Fluid in coverage. Willing tackler. Tracks the ball well in deep coverage. His highlights pop out at you where Bush's never did. I stand with him in the 1st. 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Isn't it weird that people knock Olave for his size, but don't nearly as much with Garrett Wilson? I'm having a hard time understanding how Wilson is looked at as the better prospect. Basically what I see is a 6' 185, shifty, fast, hands catching WR. Is the main difference run blocking? I see both of them as slightly suped up Diontae Johnsons. I'd take Jameson Williams over both. 

eh, I like the Tyler Lockett comp for Olave and the OBJ comp for Wilson. Olave just profiles more as a very good #2 while Wilson has the potential to be an alpha #1. Wilson is much more DJ than Olave is.

For the record I’d be happy either either of them at 20. Wilson and Williams are pretty much tied for me at #1 with Olave close behind them.

19 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

eh, I like the Tyler Lockett comp for Olave and the OBJ comp for Wilson. Olave just profiles more as a very good #2 while Wilson has the potential to be an alpha #1. Wilson is much more DJ than Olave is.

For the record I’d be happy either either of them at 20. Wilson and Williams are pretty much tied for me at #1 with Olave close behind them.

Wilson has concentration drops. I think he will be very much like DJ Johnson