2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Doesn't matter.

He wont be there.

If he was and wasnt the pick...

Angry Mtv GIF

Yep. Not gonna watch that first round train wreck. Too many cooks in our kitchen. What a nutpunch. A transparent Hail Mary is our strategy? F it. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Something I wasn't acutely aware of, but just heard on a podcast and frightened me:

There are now 5 teams with 2 first round picks next year. Eagles, Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, and the Lions. 

Notice a trend? All those teams likely to be shopping QB next year and will have far better assets to go get one. I was completely off the "take a QB train" this year, but I might hop back on. 

Lol. SMH. It’s like the Reavis Timmons debacle only involving 2 drafts and the most important position in the sport. What kinda clown show circus is going on over there? Maybe we’re hustling everyone in professional football, idk. 

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Lol. SMH. It’s like the Reavis Timmons debacle only involving 2 drafts and the most important position in the sport. What kinda clown show circus is going on over there? Maybe we’re hustling everyone in professional football, idk. 

What? 

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Something I wasn't acutely aware of, but just heard on a podcast and frightened me:

There are now 5 teams with 2 first round picks next year. Eagles, Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, and the Lions. 

Notice a trend? All those teams likely to be shopping QB next year and will have far better assets to go get one. I was completely off the "take a QB train" this year, but I might hop back on. 

If Pittsburgh isn't willing to put themselves in position next year, that's on them. But I do think it's also telling it will not shock me if Pittsburgh is thinking QB no matter what.

I'd rather us not get a QB this year or next year than to make a bad selection of one this year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

What? 

We’ve just been trumped! If our strategy was to put ourselves in a position to pick the bpa or get a better quarterback in next years draft. Now we’re kinda boxed in. Maybe Tomlin and Colbert will pull a magic rabbit out of their a**es and we’ll get lucky. BAMBOOZLED, lol.

Do we trade up for our guy that could bomb sacrificing future picks, in a deep draft everywhere but qb, when next years crop looks much better? Do we sit pat and take a qb that again is not gonna be bpa? Do we hope to find a late round gem this year? A cast off fa? Or do we just try to go bpa knowing we probably won’t get qb this year and don’t have ammo to get one next year unless we tank? Which choice is the most appealing to you? Or maybe we slowly get younger and faster getting more picks that are safe with high floors and occasionally throw a Hail Mary. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If Pittsburgh isn't willing to put themselves in position next year, that's on them.

Willing?

Three of those teams traded franchise QBs to get into those positions and another traded a top 5 pick last year.

Its not about being "willing".

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'd rather us not get a QB this year or next year than to make a bad selection of one this year.

This I agree with.

Settling on lesser players out of desperation pretty much never works out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Willing?

Three of those teams traded franchise QBs to get into those positions and another traded a top 5 pick last year.

Its not about being "willing".

This I agree with.

Settling on lesser players out of desperation pretty much never works out.

Yeah willing was a bad choice of words; able. 

9 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

We’ve just been trumped! If our strategy was to put ourselves in a position to pick the bpa or get a better quarterback in next years draft. Now we’re kinda boxed in. Maybe Tomlin and Colbert will pull a magic rabbit out of their a**es and we’ll get lucky.

Do we trade up for our guy that could bomb sacrificing future picks, in a deep draft everywhere but qb, when next years crop looks much better? Do we sit pat and take a qb that again is not gonna be bpa? Do we hope to find a late round gem this year? A cast off fa? Or do we just try to go bpa knowing we probably won’t get qb this year and don’t have ammo to get one next year unless we tank? Which choice is the most appealing to you? 

I'm not sure it's quite that dire. There is still a ton that can happen that can eliminate teams from the need of QB.

If the Panthers take Kenny, Falcons/Seahawks take Willis, and the Saints take....I have no idea, but someone... that can eliminate them from making a big move next year. If Tua and Hurts play well, the Dolphins and Eagles won't be flipping their war chest for a QB either. Three of the 5 teams with double picks have been mentioned here now. So who knows?

Point being: this shouldn't change anything about how the Steelers are operating. If they like someone, take them. If not, wait. But as a casual observer who can only wish things happen -- I did not want a QB at all this year, but I think knowing about the capital some teams have next year is opening my mind again to them taking one this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Im Not No Way GIF

I figured it be about $20 mill AAV with Mike Williams just getting that.

Its a hard calll…I think he’s a really good WR2..it would depend on guaranteed $$$.

26 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

There is still a ton that can happen that can eliminate teams from the need of QB.

Partially this but also we don't know what teams are going to enter the race for a QB that isn't in it.  What about teams like the Vikings, Giants, Atlanta?  They all have guys near the end of contracts.  What about Tennessee who might not end up sold on Tannehill?  What about extension eligible guys like Jackson and Murray if their teams don't want to pay them?  You can throw in the dumpster fire that is the Jets into the unknown category.

There's just way too much unknown.  Additionally there could be situations where guys like Tua and Hurts play well enough that someone wants to move a 3rd/2nd for them and the Eagles/Dolphins still feel like they upgrade.

Hell this is even leaving out the possibility of a team like the Bears ending up with a top pick, falling in love with one, and putting Fields on the block too.  Or any team really that has new leadership and a QB on iffy ground.  

Plus its not to say that those 2nd first round picks will be all that impressive.  What if the Eagles and Saints both end up in the 18-25 pick range, and the Steelers are at 11 and looking to move up.  If a team up there feels set at QB, they might not want to fall back that far in the 1st round because they want a top talent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

I figured it be about $20 mill AAV with Mike Williams just getting that.

Its a hard calll…I think he’s a really good WR2..it would depend on guaranteed $$$.

I'll put it this way:  If the Eagles called right now and offered 2 2nds for DJ, I would drive him across the state.  Or the Bills.  Definitely if the one team that should be calling does, Green Bay, and get a 1st out of them over multiple later picks.

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'll put it this way:  If the Eagles called right now and offered 2 2nds for DJ, I would drive him across the state.  Or the Bills.  Definitely if the one team that should be calling does, Green Bay, and get a 1st out of them over multiple later picks.

Oh I agree with you there.