2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

21 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Was a QB at William and Mary, but of like 14 years of coaching he has spent 2 years as a QB coach. Kinda....odd...

But I don't really mind. Probably more of an "offensive" coach hire, but someone's gotta stick a title somewhere. Spent time as a WR and RB coach too. I am pro more brain power.

Mark Madden commented about  this and how the talking head were saying this signaled a sure 1st round QB pick.  He ultimately suggested this was probably a hire to meet the new Rooney Rule requirement around hiring a minority offensive assistant.  That made a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

When the Ravens cut you as a WR, you are not that good.

He doesn’t run good routes, can’t beat press coverage, and has inconsistent hands. Never was super productive in college, he was just a projection off of being tall and fast. He’s like a homeless man’s Chase Claypool.

Yeah here’s to hoping he can be a decent #4 and core STs player.  

53 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

He ultimately suggested this was probably a hire to meet the new Rooney Rule requirement around hiring a minority offensive assistant.  That made a lot of sense.

I had assumed that the Steelers didn't need to go get a new coach to satisfy that new rule so I was a bit surprised. But then I read later that the NFL is picking up the tab on all of these additional hires -- so why not? Free coach!

35 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Did a quick 4 round mock on PFF, no trades, quite liked the players here:

Rd1: Pick 20 Andrew Booth Jr CB

Rd2: Pick 52 Leo Chenal LB

Rd3: Pick 84 Nick Cross S

Rd4: Pick 138 Dominique Robinson EDGE

Thoughts?

I’m a huge fan of the first 3 players, especially Chenal but I will be shocked if we ignore offense for the first 4 rounds.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m a huge fan of the first 3 players, especially Chenal but I will be shocked if we ignore offense for the first 4 rounds.

I'll be honest, it wasn't a deliberate choice. After going O heavy last year it wouldn't surprise me too much. Willis was gone at 20, and he's the only QB I'm comfortable spending a 1st on. A WR will be taken somewhere but I'm a big fan of Bo Melton and he should be available on Day 3, could sub him in for Robinson.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

When the Ravens cut you as a WR, you are not that good.

He doesn’t run good routes, can’t beat press coverage, and has inconsistent hands. Never was super productive in college, he was just a projection off of being tall and fast. He’s like a homeless man’s Chase Claypool.

He likely won’t be great but there’s been good WRs that go to Baltimore and fall off and ones get out and improve. They just seem to be a black hole of WR talent because if the way the organization likes to operate. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He likely won’t be great but there’s been good WRs that go to Baltimore and fall off and ones get out and improve. They just seem to be a black hole of WR talent because if the way the organization likes to operate. 

If we had vintage Ben I would have some hope for him.  As of right now, nothing.  As @Blitzburgh said, maybe a ST'er

I have really started to come around on my knee jerk reaction to Ridder. I’m not sure if he would ever be worth $40M+, but for 5-6 years of rookie deal and a tag, you could have a solid situation. 

The small stuff comes natural. He is like the anti-Mason. Footwork, feel, progressions, command, etc. 

Im not saying I’d be thrilled…but I’d be happy enough with either Willis or Ridder at 20. Ridder is natural, has the second highest ceiling, probably the best floor, athletic, and could play NFL snaps quickly to maximize a rookie deal in a world of $40M QBs. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1