2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

If Willis is going to be the guy then of course trade down. The gaps between the 3rd and 4th and the 4th and 6th are ginormous. If they think he'll be there at #28 and he's the guy then go for it. But I don't see them doing that especially if Detroit is still sitting there with #32 and #34 and no QB. 

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If Willis is going to be the guy then of course trade down. The gaps between the 3rd and 4th and the 4th and 6th are ginormous. If they think he'll be there at #28 and he's the guy then go for it. But I don't see them doing that especially if Detroit is still sitting there with #32 and #34 and no QB. 

If Willis is THE guy in their minds you absolutely don't risk trading down, if anything you trade up.

1 hour ago, BradfordSteeler said:

If Willis is THE guy in their minds you absolutely don't risk trading down, if anything you trade up.

I agree.

Only way they would trade down is if they arent entirely sold on him or any other player at 20.     

However, there is a reason the Steelers never trade down and always have their pick in really quickly.    Its because they pretty much always have guys they are immediately ready to take when they are up.

Even if Willis is one of the guys they want, if he goes the pick before us, we will likely have our pick in almost immediately for another player they covet.

• Like 2

Long drive from state college to Annapolis so taking in some mock draft podcasts and the 3 I’ve listened to (Locked on, and two PFF ones) have Willis gone and us taking Penning by incorrectly stating out OL has been bad for a decade and we got no help for Trubisky. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Long drive from state college to Annapolis so taking in some mock draft podcasts and the 3 I’ve listened to (Locked on, and two PFF ones) have Willis gone and us taking Penning by incorrectly stating out OL has been bad for a decade and we got no help for Trubisky. 

Great research from them, none of the top brass at his Pro Day so almost guaranteed to not be our 1st round pick based on history.

• Like 2

Usually there is a player or two that I'm really locked on when it comes to the first pick, like last year I really wanted Harris, but I really don't have one this year. I've been all over thinking about who I would want, and I just don't have one that I'm dead set on. 

11 hours ago, Livewire said:

Usually there is a player or two that I'm really locked on when it comes to the first pick, like last year I really wanted Harris, but I really don't have one this year. I've been all over thinking about who I would want, and I just don't have one that I'm dead set on. 

I just don't want a QB but am looking for new TVs to purchase after tonight

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I just don't want a QB but am looking for new TVs to purchase after tonight

Jeremy Fowler reported his sources told him to expect the Steelers to NOT draft a QB; and unless there’s a surprise fall of a player, don’t be shocked to see them trade back. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Jeremy Fowler reported his sources told him to expect the Steelers to NOT draft a QB; and unless there’s a surprise fall of a player, don’t be shocked to see them trade back. 

I just read that article too. I know Fowler is plugged into the Steelers but I have a very hard time seeing them pass on Willis at 20, and almost everyone is reporting he’ll be there now (I hammered Willis’s over of 13.5 btw). 

What I would actually love to see happen is take a WR, O-Line, or CB at 20 and trade back up into the late 1st for Willis. Not sure what a trade up from 52 to around 27 would take though. Maybe a 3rd and next years 2nd?

Imagine walking away with both Willis and one of Davis/Booth Jr/Olave/Williams/Zion etc and not giving up next years 1st

Edited by bigben07MVP

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I just read that article too. I know Fowler is plugged into the Steelers but I have a very hard time seeing them pass on Willis at 20, and almost everyone is reporting he’ll be there now (I hammered Willis’s over of 13.5 btw). 

What I would actually love to see happen is take a WR, O-Line, or CB at 20 and trade back up into the late 1st for Willis. Not sure what a trade up from 52 to around 27 would take though. Maybe a 3rd and next years 2nd?

Imagine walking away with both Willis and one of Davis/Booth Jr/Olave/Williams/Zion etc and not giving up next years 1st

I can only assume Fowler is also hearing that Willis will be gone too early for us to even make a move for him, because I, like you, can't imagine a scenario where he is there at 20 and they don't sprint to the podium to pick Willis. If this is the case, I'd be all in on Andrew Booth Jr I think.

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I hope so.  My wish list would be for Jordan Davis, Hamilton, or Stingley to fall.  Maybe a top OT.  After that trade back is the best option.   If no one fall I see similar value from say 20 to first 1/3 of the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It would cost next years 1st to move back into the 1st. Almost historically always does from that far down. 

And there’s no middle ground. Either the top QBs will be gone or they will all be there. 

But run this scenario:

Pickett is still there as is Ridder. Willis just goes 19 to NO. Olave is still on the board. KC calls. They offer 29&62 because they really want Olave. Do you say no? What if it’s Buffalo with 25&57 for 20 and 2023 3rd?

With GB sitting at 22, I think there’s a good chance we’re a prime trade down spot (as is NE) if a WR or two fall. Jump GB and get one of those top guys? They need to do it. In fact I’d be prepared for one of them to overpay to do that. 

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I will point to my prediction of a trade back with Detroit :-)