2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

I have no problem with them aggressively going up to get willis if he drops out of the top 10. I just hope they avoid giving up any picks next year. This team is not set up to make the playoffs especially in that divison. No reason to be desperate tonight.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

I know a lot of people wouldn’t like it but I’d be more than fine with Willis at 20.

I wouldnt like it, but Id live with it.  To a lesser extent, Pickett.

Ridder, Corral or Howell?   Im going nuclear.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So with the draft of Pickett in the 1st, does that mean Hunt will be the new GM?  Otherwise, Colbert did the new GM a big hurt.

I don’t see it that way. Honestly, I think it would help attract a potential outside hire. 

Traded no assets for Kenny. It’s not like a situation where the QB was coming to the end of a contract and they extend him to the point your stuck. He also seems like a direct plug and play rather than a guy like Willis who you would have needed to play it out. But now a GM can come in and really go any direction. Especially with all their 2 year deals and players under 26. By end of the GMs first year, Kenny will be, most likely, 2 years into starting and you can reassess.

If you move on from Pickett, in the scheme of things for a starting QB in this current league, you paid very little. 

As I said before....If we hire an outside candidate at this point, that is one of, if not the most incompetent thing Ive ever see from this team.

I actually wanted an outside candidate to begin with, but now it would just be embarrassing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t see it that way. Honestly, I think it would help attract a potential outside hire. 

Traded no assets for Kenny. It’s not like a situation where the QB was coming to the end of a contract and they extend him to the point your stuck. He also seems like a direct plug and play rather than a guy like Willis who you would have needed to play it out. But now a GM can come in and really go any direction. Especially with all their 2 year deals and players under 26. By end of the GMs first year, Kenny will be, most likely, 2 years into starting and you can reassess.

If you move on from Pickett, in the scheme of things for a starting QB in this current league, you paid very little. 

Given the views on this class it only helps if the guy you want to hire was over the moon about Pickett.

35 minutes ago, 43M said:

As I said before....If we hire an outside candidate at this point, that is one of, if not the most incompetent thing Ive ever see from this team.

I actually wanted an outside candidate to begin with, but now it would just be embarrassing.

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Given the views on this class it only helps if the guy you want to hire was over the moon about Pickett.

Tying my response together for these: 

Think of every single GM job that gets hired. The guy comes in and the team he takes over isn’t full of players he selected? 

Gasp! 

If I’m a GM, taking one of 32 jobs available…I want flexibility. No big contracts. No lost draft picks. Really young roster. 

A GM can come in and not feel like they NEED to do anything. Just take the best players and make your assessments. I’m more worried with Pickett that an inside hire keeps pickett around too long because he is “their guy”. Gimme the outside voice who can say, this isn’t it. 

I really don’t think the alternative universes are as sexy as you think. 

41 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Tying my response together for these: 

Think of every single GM job that gets hired. The guy comes in and the team he takes over isn’t full of players he selected? 

Gasp! 

If I’m a GM, taking one of 32 jobs available…I want flexibility. No big contracts. No lost draft picks. Really young roster. 

A GM can come in and not feel like they NEED to do anything. Just take the best players and make your assessments. I’m more worried with Pickett that an inside hire keeps pickett around too long because he is “their guy”. Gimme the outside voice who can say, this isn’t it. 

I really don’t think the alternative universes are as sexy as you think. 

We have discussed this before.   

You are more than free to disagree, but there is literally nothing you can say that will convince me it isnt utterly incompetent.

You went an entire offseason with a GM that isnt going to be with the team anymore going forward.  You let him make all the personnel decisions from hiring/retaining certain coaches and players, free agency moves and drafting players in a VERY IMPORTANT offseason, only to possibly turn it over to a GM who may have a very different outlook on players and team building that the GM that is leaving.

Nothing about that makes sense.   Literally...not one thing.  

And Im not even necessarily saying it cant turn out well....but it makes zero sense not to allow a new GM to come in and have a say in ANYTHING, especially in regards to things like drafting a new franchise QB, and bringing in coaches for the team the new GM is taking over.

If Hunt takes over, I get it, since he probably had a part in the process.

If they bring someone in from outside the organization....its gross mismanagement and incompetence in every way IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

And Im not even necessarily saying it cant turn out well

You already did. 

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

nothing you can say that will convince me it isnt utterly incompetent.

That's my problem, and the reason I push back on this. You are already convinced it's wrong, mainly because they choose to do it. The Steelers trust Colbert.  So throwing someone else into the mix MAY not be the smarts alternative reality. Allowing some new GM to come in and think he needs to make a mark on a franchise littered with Championship trophies as he enters the building MAY have lead to trading a future first + to move up to 2 to get Malik -- because he had to make a mark on the franchise. Now you leave it in a place where they might not feel that compulsive need. 

I really don't have a problem with you saying this might not be the best move -- it very well may not be. But to continually call it "utterly incompetent" like there was only one sure path forward is wrong. 

There are flaws in every alternative reality you want to live in. But they erred on the side of trusting a guy they find in good standing (as does pretty much the entirety of the NFL) -- and so far he has left them in a spot that is flexible and able to be changed within an off-season, if needed. 

None of this feels incompetent....Will it work? No clue. But this isn't some easy call.