Commanders resign Bobby McCain 2 yrs $11 mill

MikeT14

I'm not opposed to this deal at all,doesn't seem like a lot of money and there is a lack of deep Safties in the market and the draft as a lot more of them seem like box attacking guys to me.

Don't think it stops us from looking for others in FA or Draft but also means we get to keep a okay guy that the others like and are accustomed to communicating with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, offbyone said:

Glad we are rewarding failure while letting Ionnaides and Settle walk.  Rivera has no consistency to his moves.

McCain was pretty solid the 2nd half of the year, as was our secondary. It should be better with another year of continuity. No, they weren’t perfect but I think the case can be made that bringing back our top 6 DBs (Curl, Fuller, WJ3, McCain, Juice, Reaves) as long as we upgrade the slot corner spot too will have its rewards this year.

McCain didn’t blow any coverages that I remember the 2nd half of the year & he had 3 of his 4 picks in the 2nd half of the year.

This is even before the draft where we could draft another S & CB.

Also don’t forget we signed DJ Hayden for a futures contract who could be a steal as a vet min signing if he stays healthy. He also played both outside & in the slot at a high level. There’s a chance he could be our staring slot corner this year allowing Fuller to stay outside wheee he’s played better for us since we re-signed him in 2020.

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2022/1/20/22892885/below-the-radar-former-raider-2013-1st-round-pick-cb-dj-hayden-signs-future-contract-with-washington

“Early in his career, he played primarily as a boundary corner, but in his 4th season with the Raiders he moved to the slot. When Oakland didn’t pick up his 5th year option, he went to the Lions on a one-year prove it deal; there the coaches played him at boundary corner almost exclusively. 

After his year with the Lions, per Over the Cap, he signed a 3-year deal that eventually paid him $19.2m with the Jaguars, who moved him back to the slot as the replacement for Alvin Covin, who left the Jags that offseason in free agency…

Things had changed considerably by 2020, when another Jaguars fan site published an article whose title asked, “Is DJ Hayden on of the Top Slot Defenders in Football?” That article referenced Touchdown Wire writer Doug Farrar:

Hayden has been with the Jaguars for two seasons and has certainly exceeded expectations since arriving in Duval. After a disappointing start to his career in Oakland, Hayden has blossomed in the nickel cornerback role for the Jags. 

Here’s what Farrar had to say about his fourth-ranked slot defender: 

The Raiders selected Hayden in the first round of the 2013 draft, but injuries derailed what seemed to be a promising early career. After a stint with the Lions in 2017, Hayden signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Jaguars, and though he’s still missed time with injuries of late, he’s also been a revelation in the slot even as Jacksonville has engineered the deconstruction of what was a truly great defense a couple years ago.

In 335 slot coverage snaps last season, Hayden allowed 24 catches on 38 targets for 195 yards, 110 yards after catch, no touchdowns, and an opponent passer rating of 76.1. He has the quickness and route awareness to track the game’s best receivers from the slot, and judging by his two sacks, seven total pressures, 18 stops, and five tackles for loss, he’s more than just a coverage guy.

Farrar is on the money with his analysis. Hayden has been a near-elite defender in the slot for the Jaguars. He has the versatility to cover slot receivers and tight ends, defend the run, and rush the passer. But he may not be long for the starting role in Jacksonville. Hayden is entering the last year of his contract, is 30 years old, and has missed seven games due to injury in the last two years. Generally speaking, his high level of play and low cost should be reasons to keep him around beyond 2020, but fourth-round pick Josiah Scott looms large as Hayden’s backup in the slot.”

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He was pretty solid the 2nd half of the year, as was our secondary. No, they weren’t perfect but I think the case can be made that bringing back our top 4 DBs while upgrade the slot corner spot will have its rewards this year. 

He didn’t blow any coverages that I remember the 2nd half of the year & he had 3 of his 4 picks in the 2nd half of the year.

I mean I think St. Juste has a lot of promise. Good size, speed, and coverage ability. He was playing pretty decent as a rookie before the injury bug hit him.

in a 2 corner package I would just roll with fuller and Jackson, but with 3 on the field I would have Jackson and St. Juste on the outside with fuller on the inside.

when Fuller was with us before KC he was establishing himself as a premier slot CB, I think he was actually ranked best slot in the league at one point.

in a perfect world we land either Sauce or Hamilton if they are available

with Sauce it could allow fuller to play FS which is a position I would love to see him moved to, he played some FS at KC. we could roll out with sauce and Jackson on the outside with st. Juste as top back up allowing McCain to play slot. I think it’s a win

With Hamilton it would be fuller and Jackson on outside unless we have 3 corners on the field. Then I go with st. Juste outside and fuller slot

in a perfect world if we could land Gardner and St. Juste becomes a solid corner we could eventually move on from Jacksons contract

Edited by LoganF89

19 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I mean I think St. Juste has a lot of promise. Good size, speed, and coverage ability. He was playing pretty decent as a rookie before the injury bug hit him.

in a 2 corner package I would just roll with fuller and Jackson, but with 3 on the field I would have Jackson and St. Juste on the outside with fuller on the inside.

when Fuller was with us before KC he was establishing himself as a premier slot CB, I think he was actually ranked best slot in the league at one point.

in a perfect world we land either Sauce or Hamilton if they are available

with Sauce it could allow fuller to play FS which is a position I would love to see him moved to, he played some FS at KC. we could roll out with sauce and Jackson on the outside with st. Juste as top back up allowing McCain to play slot. I think it’s a win

With Hamilton it would be fuller and Jackson on outside unless we have 3 corners on the field. Then I go with st. Juste outside and fuller slot

in a perfect world if we could land Gardner and St. Juste becomes a solid corner we could eventually move on from Jacksons contract

Fuller had one season where he was great in the slot & PFF’s #1 ranked slot corner, that was in 2017 aka 5 years ago and it was just one season.

He wasn’t good in the slot as a rookie in 2016. He wasn’t good in the slot in Kansas City, that’s why they ended up playing Fuller at FS at times & moves Mathieu to the slot when Fuller played in KC.

When we re-signed Fuller last year we all assumed that Fuller would play the slot when we went 3 CB wide but he wasn’t great there & Juice was inconsistent on the outside as a rookie too but I agree his length & athleticism flashed at times. When Fuller stayed outside after Juice got hurt Danny Johnson became our slot corner & he played well there.

We also signed DJ Hayden to a futures contract - which I forgot about - and he is a good veteran slot corner. If we don’t draft a better option at CB, Hayden could be our slot CB. Juice would be 4th then & Apke 5th.

Personally, as I said last year I think they should move Apke to SS. He is a great athlete who seems to be a decent hitter, he struggled in deep coverage as a FS bc his instincts in space were bad in 2020 but could he’s fast & could be better in the short to intermediate coverage. Moving him to SS to back up Curl doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me, or he could remain as our 5th/6th CB.

We currently have Darrick Forrest and Jeremy Reaves as reserve safeties, but I do wonder if we’ll draft a S prospect in round 2 or later if they’re the BPA which I think they could be in round 2 or 4 as could a LB though also.

Edited by turtle28