The Duke's First Round Updated Mock Draft - 3/21

THE DUKE

14 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm okay with Burks due to the way your board fell but don't see the need for Dean. Much rather take an EDGE/OT there.

I almost went Sam Williams there (whom I am higher on than most), but thought the multi-year commitment to Rodgers giving him a big physical receiver could finally happen.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Titans re-signed Ben Jones, so Linderbaum is not a likely puck anymore. Burks seems more likely with who’s left imo.

I do like Sam Williams in the first. Haven’t seen him there, but he was my pick for best under the radar edge guy.

That's right, I forgot about that.

Sam Williams is Edge 4 or 5 for me.

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Im not so sure it will if Mariotta was on a 1 year deal for chump change i would probably agree with this.  But 2 yrs at 20 mil almost i think gives us that extra year to get a QB and they planned for it to bridge till next years QB class.    I think their gonna give him a shot at winning the position and see if he has talent to do it still.  But if he don't then you go big for a QB next years draft.

If there is a draft to punt on QB, it's this one.  I'd much rather have a shot at Bryce Young or CJ Stroud if i'm the Falcons.  I won't be shocked if Jake Haener plays his way into that discussion either.  Much much much better QB class next year.

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

17754742-850x560.jpeg

Goff after Dan Campbell took over playcalling- 112/161 69.6% comp 1136 yds 11 TDs 2 INTs 3-2 record. He might not be the long term answer, but he's serviceable and Howell nor Corral are long term answers either. Lions have prime picks to build up their team. There is no need to waste picks. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Goff after Dan Campbell took over playcalling- 112/161 69.6% comp 1136 yds 11 TDs 2 INTs 3-2 record. He might not be the long term answer, but he's serviceable and Howell nor Corral are long term answers either. Lions have prime picks to build up their team. There is no need to waste picks. 

Easier to build up with an end of rd 1 4 years of cheap QB play.  Dead cap hit is only $10 million next year and would save them $20 million against the cap while giving the rook a year to be groomed.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Easier to build up with an end of rd 1 4 years of cheap QB play.  Dead cap hit is only $10 million next year and would save them $20 million against the cap while giving the rook a year to be groomed.

Agreed, just don't think Howell or Corral are the answer either. Why not build the rest of the team and draft a QB next year? 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Agreed, just don't think Howell or Corral are the answer either. Why not build the rest of the team and draft a QB next year? 

It's too much of a risk to assume they get Stroud or Young, and maybe even Haener.  They could end up with a pick somewhere between 5-10 with just one more win that wasn't expected.  If they plan on trying to get a QB next year, then their best option would be to trade down from 2 to get a first next year to have the ammo to trade up then.  Could take the two firsts next year plus the 2024 first and likely get from the 7-12 range they are in to the top 2-3.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

It's too much of a risk to assume they get Stroud or Young, and maybe even Haener.  They could end up with a pick somewhere between 5-10 with just one more win that wasn't expected.  If they plan on trying to get a QB next year, then their best option would be to trade down from 2 to get a first next year to have the ammo to trade up then.  Could take the two firsts next year plus the 2024 first and likely get from the 7-12 range they are in to the top 2-3.

They already have two 1sts next year and could definitely move down this year. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

They already have two 1sts next year and could definitely move down this year. 

Even better, have three firsts next year to move up and not sacrifice the 2024 pick, which could possibly still be a high pick, although I think they win more in 2022, their oline is shaping up nicely if they can just stay healthy.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't hate London for the Steelers. 

18 hours ago, Livewire said:

I would be very pleased with London. Though with Stingley sitting there I think I would rather have him instead.

London isn't much different than Claypool.   Maybe a more polished version, but lacks the downfield and big play ability we need.

Wouldn't hate him, but it doesn't move the needle much.  

Also, if Willis falls to 14 or 15...sadly, we are likely trading up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

This may come as a shock, but FOs often think differently of QB prospects than random fans.

I'll be surprised if the Lions don't pick a QB, if they're in a position to do so.  Campbell will be fired if he has another 3 win season, and the team will play themselves out of position to draft a good QB if they win too many more than that.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

This may come as a shock, but FOs often think differently of QB prospects than random fans.

I'll be surprised if the Lions don't pick a QB, if they're in a position to do so.  Campbell will be fired if he has another 3 win season, and the team will play themselves out of position to draft a good QB if they win too many more than that.

This may come as a shock, but the FO is very transparent and they won't reach for perceived needs. They are higher on Goff than random fans.