Vikings sign OLB Za'Darius Smith

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Thinking CB or DT Davis will be where they go at 12, but definitely could see an edge player on day 2. CB is clearly the biggest flaw on the Vikes defense and I’m a bit surprised no moves have been made yet. There’s literally no known quality starting CBs on the Vikes roster right now. 

To be clear, I was talking about GB. They don't have much beyond Gary or P. Smith.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Apparently the Browns were sniffing around Hunter, I wonder if this makes that move more likely. 

I think they were before the bonus was paid to Hunter. Wouldn’t make sense to trade him now and every indication is pointing towards an extension for Hunter. I don’t think there’s a plan at this point to trade him. 

• Like 3

Adofo-Mensah said Wednesday that he has no qualms about Smith's health going forward:

"He rehabbed his back, came back and played in the playoff game. Fully passed our physical. Everything looks great. I can't see him being any stronger. No, we're not worried about his health. We're excited to have him."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-zadarius-smith-danielle-hunter-free-agency

Smith: "I went to Los Angeles, got surgery done with my doctor. One of the best doctors out there. Completed the surgery. I don't know too many people who come back from back surgery, but I came back in four months, got a chance to practice for three weeks before that playoff game. As you can see, I'm as healthy as ever. Just did my physical. Everything's clear. So excited man. Back is good."

https://www.vikings.com/news/za-darius-smith-ready-to-form-best-duo-with-danielle-hunter

Edited by vike daddy

Here is Hunter's contract, per a source with knowledge of the terms:

1. Signing bonus: $5 million.

2. 2022 base salary: $1.45 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2022 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

4. 2023 base salary: $9.45 million, $5.05 million of which becomes fully guaranteed in 2023.

5. 2023 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

6. 2024 90-man roster bonus: $2.5 million.

7. 2024 base salary: $14.45 million.

8. 2024 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

9. 2022-24 workout bonus: $50,000.

The deal also includes incentives for 2022 and 2023. The 2022 package in each season consists of $500,000 for 8.5 sacks or $750,000 for 10.5 sacks or $1 million for 12.5 sacks. In 2023, it’s $1.5 million for 8.5 sacks or $3 million for 10.5 sacks or $4 million for 12.5 sacks.

It’s really a one-year, $9.5 million contract, nearly a third of which is tied to Smith being able to play in every game. At the very best, it’s a two-year, $22 million deal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/24/inside-the-zadarius-smith-deal/