Vikings sign OLB Za'Darius Smith

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Horrible loss for GB and an awesome addition for Minnesota. 

Aaron Rodgers being without Davante Adams and GBs D being without Za'Darius Smith will hurt GB moving forward.

Do you know how many games Smith played in for GB last season?

I'll give you the over/under at 2.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Do you know how many games Smith played in for GB last season?

I'll give you the over/under at 2.

Yup and he returned for the playoffs and recorded 1 sack. 

You do know that he combined for 26 sacks in 2019-2020 + like 90 QB pressures (two Pro Bowls) for Green Bay, right?

Losing Za'Darius Smith is a big loss for GB and an even bigger gain for Minnesota.

53 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Yup and he returned for the playoffs and recorded 1 sack. 

You do know that he combined for 26 sacks in 2019-2020 + like 90 QB pressures (two Pro Bowls) for Green Bay, right?

Losing Za'Darius Smith is a big loss for GB and an even bigger gain for Minnesota.

How will we ever replace him? 

I know! Maybe Rashan Gary and Preston Smith. I'd be shocked if one of those four top 60 picks isn't and EDGE too. 

• Like 1

I was interested in Z for the money he got from Baltimore, but this is at the upper limit for an aging EDGE who just missed a season with a severe back injury.

Too risky. 

Great player if healthy, but that's a huge IF now. GB had access to his medicals and chose Preston instead. GB has a history of moving on from aging, injured players (see Bryan Bulaga) that work out in their favor. Didn't sound like there was any interest in retaining Z in GB. Guessing because of medical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I was interested in Z for the money he got from Baltimore, but this is at the upper limit for an aging EDGE who just missed a season with a severe back injury.

Too risky. 

Great player if healthy, but that's a huge IF now. GB had access to his medicals and chose Preston instead. GB has a history of moving on from aging, injured players (see Bryan Bulaga) that work out in their favor. Didn't sound like there was any interest in retaining Z in GB. Guessing because of medical.

Preston Smith is 29 turning 30 in November.

But the nice thing for Edge Rushers is that if their role is limited, they can play a long time and be effective.

Minnesota would be smart to limit his snap count.

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Preston Smith is 29 turning 30 in November.

But the nice thing for Edge Rushers is that if their role is limited, they can play a long time and be effective.

Minnesota would be smart to limit his snap count.

Having D.J. Wonnum as the third edge player will be nice, I assume he will play a lot regardless of the health status of Hunter and Smith.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Too risky. 

Is Z the better commit (IF he does stay healthy)? Is Preston the better commit right now? Obviously, GB couldn't know that going in so they chose Preston, but they are both aging EDGE rushers who are 29 going on 30 (Z is 70 days older than P). 

Hard to compare the contracts yet, but will be interesting to see Z's guarantees/structure vs P's next 3 years (looks like the out is after the 2024 season so something like a 3 year 40 million dollar player over the next 3 seasons).

5 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Is Z the better commit (IF he does stay healthy)? Is Preston the better commit right now? Obviously, GB couldn't know that going in so they chose Preston, but they are both aging EDGE rushers who are 29 going on 30 (Z is 70 days older than P). 

Hard to compare the contracts yet, but will be interesting to see Z's guarantees/structure vs P's next 3 years (looks like the out is after the 2024 season so something like a 3 year 40 million dollar player over the next 3 seasons).

Z is the better player IF healthy. Especially as they age due to his interior rush ability. He's more disruptive and versatile. Preston is more consistent and solid with a much cleaner injury history.

I suspect GB didn't want to roll the dice in Rodgers last few seasons after getting bit by Z last season. Lotta money sitting in the trainer's room so they went with a more "sure" thing.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Z is the better player IF healthy. Especially as they age due to his interior rush ability. He's more disruptive and versatile. Preston is more consistent and solid with a much cleaner injury history.

I suspect GB didn't want to roll the dice in Rodgers last few seasons after getting bit by Z last season. Lotta money sitting in the trainer's room so they went with a more "sure" thing.

They'll still use an early pick on an Edge Rusher I think.

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They'll still use an early pick on an Edge Rusher I think.

Thinking CB or DT Davis will be where they go at 12, but definitely could see an edge player on day 2. CB is clearly the biggest flaw on the Vikes defense and I’m a bit surprised no moves have been made yet. There’s literally no known quality starting CBs on the Vikes roster right now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Thinking CB or DT Davis will be where they go at 12, but definitely could see an edge player on day 2. CB is clearly the biggest flaw on the Vikes defense and I’m a bit surprised no moves have been made yet. There’s literally no known quality starting CBs on the Vikes roster right now. 

I have a feeling Peterson will be back

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It would be fun if they took Jordan Davis.  We've been waiting for an adequate Phat Pat replacement for years!  :D

• Like 1