Raiders sign DT Veron Butler (1 year deal)

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Rolni said:

This is not how this scheme works.

We will have a base and a nickel, dime package (even more, but to keep it simple this is enough)

We can call the EDGE group edge in every package. The difference is that in base the edge guys will be basically 3-4 OLBs, while in nickel/dime the edge guys will be 4-3 DEs. But the edge group will be the same regardless of the package. Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones are the starters with Kyler Fackrell and Malcolm Koonce as back ups. Crosby and Fackrell will be the strong side guys mostly IMO, so LOLB or LDE. Jones and Koonce will be the weak side guys mostly IMO, so ROLB or RDE. The edge group is set and neither of these guys have to play new position. Yeah Maxx never played other then 4-3 DE, but in base the LOLB will play almost like a 4-3LDE the only difference will be his starting stance.

We can call the big uglies IDL (interior defensive line) in every package. In the base we will have 3 IDL guys, while in nickel and dime we will have 2 IDL guys. (I know that for example Maxx can line up in a dedicated package as a DT in a 4DL front, but I'm talking about basic principles here)
If we study Graham's D background we will use a LDT, a NT and a RDE in base and LDT and RDT in nickel/dime. 
The LDT and RDE positions are similar, but generally, the bigger/longer dude plays the LDT, while the smaller/shorter on plays the RDE spot. At NT we need a big, strong guy, who doesn't need to be too long. 
We have Billings, PJ Johnson and Peko, whom are clear NT types in this scheme.
We have Butler who seems to be a good LDT fit in this scheme (obviously he could play NT for us too).
We have Nichols, Vickers and Ferrell, whom are RDE/nickel RDT fits IMO. Obviously Nichols can play LDT and maybe even Vickers too.

We have 4 LB's on roster and based on size we have Perryman and Kiser as heavier guys with Diablo and Justin as lighter guys. In base ILB1 should be able to kill the run in this scheme, I believe Perryman is ILB1 and Kiser is his back up. ILB2 is more of a cover LB  even in base and I think Diablo is the starter here and Justin is the back up as of now. I nickel we can still use the Perryman-Diablo duo as starters, in dime we could use either of them. Early on more Perryman is my guess, but maybe later on more Diablo...

Right now this is the starting line up in base IMO:

---Butler---Billings---Nichols---

Crosby-Perryman-Diablo-Jones

Nickel:

Crosby-Butler-Nichols-Jones

----Perryman---Diablo----

The spot which looks weak for me is the LDT with Butler, who is not starter material based on his NFL carrier so far. Could he turn into something in a new scheme, with new coaches and new teammates? Yes. Would I feel confident in this plan? No. So I would gladly welcome a guy for this role to see Butler as a depth guy.

The other spot which could be ugraded is the NT IMO. Billings could be solid, but he could be a problem just as easily. I would like to see another veteran NT too, but I guess we could use him as starter if Butler is just depth as LDT, so can rotate in.

We could use some more LB depth obviously. While Kiser is NFL level, he has a serious injury history and Justin March-Lillard is not an NFL level player IMO. Middle of the draft, UDFA and/or veteran pick up after the draft could be enough IMO. Especially if Abram will play some LB.

Imagine counting on Butler to be a starter, Billings to be a NT when he wasn't on a team last year. Don't even get me started on RT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

IMO we're just gonna play a 4-3 base because we'll be in nickel/dime most of the time anyways.

I think @Rolniis probably right especially with the signings we have made. Base will be nickel with a 4 man line with some 3-4 looks thrown in on early run downs. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Imagine counting on Butler to be a starter, Billings to be a NT when he wasn't on a team last year. Don't even get me started on RT

I wrote multiple times that I worry about these guys, I just wrote down how I think our scheme could work with what we have.

I fully expect one more veteran IDL guy to either soldify the LDT or the NT position.

If we grab Goldman for example we would have a solid NT and also a solid back up NT in Billings. Butler-Goldman-Nichols could be a solid base DL. There still would be questionmarks obviously.

If we bring back big Hank we could put him at NT or LDT based on Billings and Butler in OTAs IMO. That could also give us a better feeling IMO :)

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

IMO we're just gonna play a 4-3 base because we'll be in nickel/dime most of the time anyways.

I don't think so.

The Dolphins use a 3-4 base, the Giants used a 3-4 base under PG and those squads also run nickel most of the time.

It is really not that big of a deal IMO, this 3-4/4-3 thing is bigger for us fans then to the team :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RaiderChef said:

Maxx will not play standing up. I can GUARANTEE YOU that. I would bet my house on it. He explicitly said to TJ Watt during pro bowl practices that he is not comfortable rushing from a 2 point stance and that he is feels far more explosive with his hand in the dirt. Patrick Graham is to smart and to good as a DC to put Maxx in a position to not thrive because he is trying to first square pegs in a circle holes. 

I think you are basically off base on nearly everything you have said. Patrick Graham will have our 11 best players out there the majority of the game in a role that highlights their skillset. 

The 2022 Raiders defense will NOT resemble the Giants defense under Graham at all really. He inherited those 3 Big Bodies (Leo, Dexter and Dalvin) on the DL and schemed the defense to best fit the personnel. I think you look at the 2019 Dolphins where Taco Charlton and Avery Moss started at LDE with 2 big Bodies inside and a 3-4 ROLB. Or take a cue from every defense in New England from 2009 - 2015. All features 1 4-3 DE on one side with 2 big bodies inside and a 3-4 OLB rushing from the other side. If you want a GLIMPSE of what it will look like. But even then their will be some unique differences with our personnel. 

I am not sure why Raider fans try to overthink or reduce these things down. Just take the time. All the information is available. 

We will see I guess ;)

I don't really care, I just want a good D that is all!

On 3/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Darbsk said:

I think I recall a whole lot of guys wanted us to look at him in mock drafts and the like. Wasn't he a late riser to the first round though and didn't most have him pegged as an end of first/second round player back then?

Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else but he was on a lot of people's big boards I think

Both Vernon Butler and Sheldon Rankins were late risers that year.  To start the year they were both 4th to 5th round prospects but I called they’d go late first to 2nd.  

butler is a depth piece.  He’s solid but not someone a goof defense starts.  For what we’re paying I think it’s a very good move.

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

I don't think so.

The Dolphins use a 3-4 base, the Giants used a 3-4 base under PG and those squads also run nickel most of the time.

It is really not that big of a deal IMO, this 3-4/4-3 thing is bigger for us fans then to the team :)

Maybe. I just don’t think it’ll be good for Maxx to be standing up for example. If you’re talking 3-4 alignment then sure, but like I said this is really a non-issue because we’re gonna be in nickel the majority of the time.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe. I just don’t think it’ll be good for Maxx to be standing up for example. If you’re talking 3-4 alignment then sure, but like I said this is really a non-issue because we’re gonna be in nickel the majority of the time.

Idk how you give a guy 100m and take him out of his comfort zone by standing him up when he’s been vocal about saying he generates more get off speed and power from a 3-point stance.

“So you say 4-3, 3-4, 2-4, 3-3-5, whatever you want to say, I’ll say yes,” Graham said. “I’m not trying to make a joke of it. We are going to do what’s best with what we have in terms of the people, the personnel we have and what we think is best for the game.”

Las Vegas Raiders DC Patrick Graham

• Like 1