WWYD? A trade down question

Thaiphoon

Trade Down with KC?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Down with KC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on what player is available (post the player you wouldn't pass up)
    • Maybe if they added another pick (post what pick you'd also want)
    • Other (i.e.- "Hey GB has two picks, I'd rather have those!")

I wouldn't. If there's a chance we go receiver in the first round (and I think that's a high chance) I want to be in a position where I can select one of the big 3. If the points work out, that's one thing, but thats not enough to move from just outside of the top 10 to almost into the second round..

I would need a little bit of a sweetener. In this scenario I would be okay with trying to get greedy. Throw me a third also. Y'lll just got all of those picks for Hill? You can afford to flex alittle bit.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t trade down. I’d take the best WR prospect available bc we can use that guy too. Say we take Olave, Wilson or London at 11. We can move Samuel to the slot and a nice WR corps. I understand that’s possible if we trade back as well but it’s less likely to happen.

For me - if Gardner (who will be long gone, top 5 pick - just wait and see) or Ekwonu are available, I am not trading down. Otherwise, yes I would take the 2 first and try to turn them into more capital. While this draft is not loaded from an elite player perspective, DUE TO THE COVID YEAR - the depth is unlike anything we have ever seen. Guys that are going in the 3rd / 4th - would ordinarily be 2nd round picks. 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:21 PM, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t trade down. I’d take the best WR prospect available bc we can use that guy too. Say we take Olave, Wilson or London at 11. We can move Samuel to the slot and a nice WR corps. I understand that’s possible if we trade back as well but it’s less likely to happen.

Your thinking maybe right. If I am not mistaken DeAndre Carter and Adam Humphries have yet to be resigned. So wr could very well be our pick at 11. However don't forget this is a deep draft for WR. @turtle28 I know you like a QB. What if Willis is there at 11. Would you take him instead of a wr. 

Edited by 4209

On 3/30/2022 at 9:41 PM, 4209 said:

Your thinking maybe right. If I am not mistaken DeAndre Carter and Adam Humphries have yet to be resigned. So wr could very well be our pick at 11. However don't forget this is a deep draft for WR. @turtle28 I know you like a QB. What if Willis is there at 11. Would you take him instead of a wr. 

I wouldn’t take Willis. I’d take the best WR available or Kyle Hamilton if we’re lucky that he falls to us.

If Carter or Humphries are signed neither would be viewed as a starting WR. If they draft a WR at 11, I definitely think they should still re-sign Carter. I wouldn’t re-sign Humphries unless it’s obvious that we need him from the slot later in the off-season. 

I like this thread because honestly if there are one or even 2 QB’s taken ahead of us we are either going to be staring down one oor two of these elite level defenders and fielding all sorts of trade back possibilities or if Willis is avalible I believe Pittsburgh would really be a real trade back with a chance to not only get more picks this year but add a top selection next year as well.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 6:53 PM, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t take Willis. I’d take the best WR available or Kyle Hamilton if we’re lucky that he falls to us.

If Carter or Humphries are signed neither would be viewed as a starting WR. If they draft a WR at 11, I definitely think they should still re-sign Carter. I wouldn’t re-sign Humphries unless it’s obvious that we need him from the slot later in the off-season. 

@turtle28 Speaking of Hamilton there was several players that kind of let me down doing the NFL combine workouts Thibodeaux, Lioyd, Burks and Hamilton. All of the aforementioned players really did not have killer workouts. They did not separate themselves from others and they had just okay workouts. All are highly rated players in this yr draft class so maybe  players perform better on the actual field than workouts. But there a couple of  issues I am tussling with. Hamilton to ME was the only player to trade up for before the combine. Although his workouts were just ok I still like him. He just has the versatility, physicality, a PLAYMAKER type,  ball hawking skills, a good run defender etc. But he does have weaknesses also. On the other hand to me this draft is deep. Which brings me to @ripsean21.  "one or two of these elite level defenders and fielding all sorts of trade back possibilities or if Willis is avalible" Exactly!!!!! I always liked the trade down option. What would you do if Olave, Wilson, Loyd, Hamilton and Willis are there at 11. I like Hamilton but if Willis is there and I having been hearing on the Steelers board they like Willis. Now you have a very good option of collecting more draft picks in a deep draft. All of these senarios have good options either way you look at it. This is a tough decision if it actually becomes a reality. 

Edited by 4209

Trade down (if possible)

And draft best available player regardless of position.

If we trade down & the best player on the board is A DT or DE?

Then trade down again...

My point is....

I want us to stay in the 1st Rd. But if we can trade down 6 different times before stopping @pick 32…?

Then do it...

There's no player in this draft that I have to have at pick #11, that I wouldn't be able to get at pick 27.

And I would rather pick @27 & get a guy who might be better than the guy I picked @#11...

Who do this......

pick 11=possibly bust

Pick in 2nd rd

pick in 4th rd

pick 6th rd

pick in 7th rd

draft over

When we could do this

pick @27

pick in 2nd Rd

Pick in 2nd Rd

Pick in 3rd

pick in 4th

Pick in 4th

Pick in 4th

Pick in 5th

Pick in 6th

Pick in 6th

Pick in 7th

Pick in 7th

Pick in 7th

See where I'm going with this?

10 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Trade down (if possible)

And draft best available player regardless of position.

If we trade down & the best player on the board is A DT or DE?

Then trade down again...

My point is....

I want us to stay in the 1st Rd. But if we can trade down 6 different times before stopping @pick 32…?

Then do it...

There's no player in this draft that I have to have at pick #11, that I wouldn't be able to get at pick 27.

And I would rather pick @27 & get a guy who might be better than the guy I picked @#11...

Who do this......

pick 11=possibly bust

Pick in 2nd rd

pick in 4th rd

pick 6th rd

pick in 7th rd

draft over

When we could do this

pick @27

pick in 2nd Rd

Pick in 2nd Rd

Pick in 3rd

pick in 4th

Pick in 4th

Pick in 4th

Pick in 5th

Pick in 6th

Pick in 6th

Pick in 7th

Pick in 7th

Pick in 7th

See where I'm going with this?

Your logic can’t be pick 11 possibly bust but then all other 12 trades that will distract you from your board and overall vision as to what your looking to gain in players from the other picks won’t also be labeled possible bust. Yes it’s fun to run a mock draft machine but to make these trades if you don’t feel like you can’t get anyone at 11 you can’t get at 27 why would anyone at 27 feel differently then you? Mock draft machines are fun but how many times do you see teams moving around the draft board to this degree getting hauls that say that their 12 panned out more then another teams 6? See my logic you have to have examples of it working and also explain why a team wants to trade up so bad when you clearly see equal value where they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Your logic can’t be pick 11 possibly bust but then all other 12 trades that will distract you from your board and overall vision as to what your looking to gain in players from the other picks won’t also be labeled possible bust. Yes it’s fun to run a mock draft machine but to make these trades if you don’t feel like you can’t get anyone at 11 you can’t get at 27 why would anyone at 27 feel differently then you? Mock draft machines are fun but how many times do you see teams moving around the draft board to this degree getting hauls that say that their 12 panned out more then another teams 6? See my logic you have to have examples of it working and also explain why a team wants to trade up so bad when you clearly see equal value where they are.

I was just throwing out examples of what can happen & the amount of ammo a team can aquire from a trade down.

Not the picks themselves.

If this draft had blue chip talent on the board in the top 10, that were must haves? Then no way would I be advocating on trading down for any reason, even with the limited picks we have. Unless, all those blue chippers were gone.

I honestly think this draft will have very good players. We just don't know who that will be.

This is a bad year to have the #1 overall pick, but a great year to have multiple day 2 & day 3 picks.

Unfortunately for us, we have a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th & 7th. That is not a lot of picks to have in a draft that has a lot of good talent throughout, but few to little blue chippers.

But that can change in 1 trade down. 

We as a team do not have a lot of blue chippers, either.

McLaurin, Young, Sweat,  Allen &  maybe Payne.

We let Scherff go....

But we've hit on several mid to late rounders such as maybe Dyami Brown, Cam Curl, & a few others.

We haven't done jack in Free Agency besides hopefully get our QB.

I think our best chances to hit on more players, is to have more choices. We currently have 5 picks in the draft.

I'd like to see us dbl that to 10 come draft day.

Now, we don't have to trade down from #11, to get them. But we might be able to aquire higher picks by doing so.

I think this is the draft to do it. Not because of our limited picks.

But because I think our chances of landing a solid player in the 20's, would be just as good as it would be @#11.

Now, it takes 2 teams to tango in a trade.

I do NOT want any of the QB's at 11. Specially with our limited picks. 

Maybe a team likes one & trades up for one in our spot? Who knows...

I would NOT draft a WR at #11 either. The bust rate is too high. Although we need a #2 WR.

As I've said in other threads...There's no player I would take at #11, that I wouldn't rather trade down for to not have him.

And after Kyle Hamilton's 40 time? I'm including him now.

55 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I was just throwing out examples of what can happen & the amount of ammo a team can aquire from a trade down.

Not the picks themselves.

If this draft had blue chip talent on the board in the top 10, that were must haves? Then no way would I be advocating on trading down for any reason, even with the limited picks we have. Unless, all those blue chippers were gone.

I honestly think this draft will have very good players. We just don't know who that will be.

This is a bad year to have the #1 overall pick, but a great year to have multiple day 2 & day 3 picks.

Unfortunately for us, we have a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th & 7th. That is not a lot of picks to have in a draft that has a lot of good talent throughout, but few to little blue chippers.

But that can change in 1 trade down. 

We as a team do not have a lot of blue chippers, either.

McLaurin, Young, Sweat,  Allen &  maybe Payne.

We let Scherff go....

But we've hit on several mid to late rounders such as maybe Dyami Brown, Cam Curl, & a few others.

We haven't done jack in Free Agency besides hopefully get our QB.

I think our best chances to hit on more players, is to have more choices. We currently have 5 picks in the draft.

I'd like to see us dbl that to 10 come draft day.

Now, we don't have to trade down from #11, to get them. But we might be able to aquire higher picks by doing so.

I think this is the draft to do it. Not because of our limited picks.

But because I think our chances of landing a solid player in the 20's, would be just as good as it would be @#11.

Now, it takes 2 teams to tango in a trade.

I do NOT want any of the QB's at 11. Specially with our limited picks. 

Maybe a team likes one & trades up for one in our spot? Who knows...

I would NOT draft a WR at #11 either. The bust rate is too high. Although we need a #2 WR.

As I've said in other threads...There's no player I would take at #11, that I wouldn't rather trade down for to not have him.

And after Kyle Hamilton's 40 time? I'm including him now.

I’d take Hamilton over any player not named  Sauce Gardner. He is more then just a blue chip. He is a elite level prospect. What guys run in shorts and what guys run on the field and when you have a guy with instinct and you don’t put yourself out of position and understand angles and how to put your hands on the ball and are constantly around the ball a track even for a guy coming off injury sorry if we passed on this guy it’s a mistake!!