2022 Academy Awards

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/types/alopecia/causes

Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease. This means that your immune system mistakenly attacks a part of your body.

its hilarious how insanely wrong you are on this like absolutely basic concept.

And like I explained, she doesn’t have the disease and it was probably stress-related, due to how she takes care of her hair, or inflammation.

Just like eating too many cheeseburgers makes you fat.

There is an autoimmune disorder (disease) where it attacks hair follicles thinking they’re a foreign object. Granted. That’s a disease. There is currently no cure and no great treatment for that variety.

Inflammation, stress or keeping your hair too tight? Not diseases.

We can discuss this all day or we can circle back to she was currently suffering no conditions of the “disease,” and the joke was tame.

9 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

given the nature of the event, that joke isn't okay either depending on context (I don't have full context of that joke). still not your or anyone else's place to say how something should make anyone feel. not sure where the hypocrisy is

She absolutely has the right to feel however she wants. That doesn't mean a line was crossed. The hypocrisy is people only care about one joke which was objectively tamer than the LeBron one. The fact that you weren't even aware of the LeBron one confirms that.

Edited by Bullet Club

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Which was the point that I addressed - and again - I've never encountered a woman was was shaving their own head as a matter of choice. Do some exist somewhere in the world? I'll have to presume there are - but my response dealt directly with the cancer matter - and frankly - the knee jerk reaction of people encountering a woman who's shaved their head is that they are in fact dealing with cancer - and no - people dont make fun of others who are thought to be suffering with cancer. Doesnt happen. 

I simply stated that I've never encountered a woman who was shaving their head PRIOR to it become a necessity because of their illness. In Dome's relative situation - the individual who was going to undergo chemo - shaved her head in advance of it becoming mandatory. Her sister (I think it was...) did it as a matter of support.

So again - proving the point I made: that nobody (or very, very, very few.......) women shave their head voluntarily.

Neither of Dome's relatives were shaving their head prior to the chemo treatment becoming part of their reality.

I'm done here. Have a nice day.

Literally thousands of women shaved their head voluntarily during the pandemic. It was the most trendy haircut last summer. Are these women now immune to cancer? I assume not. So — if in 20 years these women grow their hair back out and then get cancer and shave their head — are they free to be laughed at?

If the answer is no, and we both know it it, then the fact that Jada shaved her head in the 90’s is absolutely irrelevant, and does not change or invalidate her feelings. Which is the entire point being made. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

We have plenty of evidence on how she treats him (that she willingly put out there) so I don't think her giving him the impression he needs to stand up for her is that outlandish, especially when you see him go from laughing to "keep my wife's name out your ... mouth" in under a minute.

Her (allegedly) giving Will the impression that she wanted him to act a certain way isn’t the same as making him do something or controlling him. 

From every angle that’s been shown, she just sat there and scowled about a joke made at her expense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

She absolutely has the right to feel however she wants. That doesn't mean a line was crossed. The hypocrisy is people only care about one joke which was objectively tamer than the LeBron one.

I think given the nature of what the Academy Awards is trying to be, it's crossing a line. There's probably some hypocrisy in people not discussing the Lebron instance but I think that's very obviously because this situation escalated whereas that one did not. Many people discussing it have only heard/seen the clips involving Will & Jada and likely don't even know about the Lebron joke or anything else that happened during the night. 

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Did LeBron James Have His Hairline Fixed? | Bleacher Report | Latest News,  Videos and HighlightsJada Pinkett Smith Is Embracing Her Hair Loss | PEOPLE.com

So no source. Just baseless speculation that male pattern baldness is alopecia, because it helps your argument.

Seriously, and you don’t have to answer this, but really think about it, how do you internally rationalize the fact that you think you’re so right on a topic that you’ll fervently argue a point, and yet you require making up baseless speculation to argue the point. 

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think given the nature of what the Academy Awards is trying to be, it's crossing a line. There's probably some hypocrisy in people not discussing the Lebron instance but I think that's very obviously because this situation escalated whereas that one did not. Many people discussing it have only heard/seen the clips involving Will & Jada and likely don't even know about the Lebron joke or anything else that happened during the night. 

Respectfully, I find this absurd. What is the Academy Awards trying to be that makes the following joke crossing a line?

Jada, I love you. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it.

28 minutes ago, pwny said:

So no source. Just baseless speculation that male pattern baldness is alopecia, because it helps your argument.

Seriously, and you don’t have to answer this, but really think about it, how do you internally rationalize the fact that you think you’re so right on a topic that you’ll fervently argue a point, and yet you require making up baseless speculation to argue the point. 

Do you know what alopecia is? I'm guessing you don't. The irony of this post is astounding.

Males pattern baldness is also called Androgenic alopecia. Congrats on the biggest self own in the history of this site 🤣

Edited by Bullet Club

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

that's medically inaccurate and in general just a completely unempathetic viewpoint to have

This is mostly true. I guess I’d be willing to have a conversation on this one. Are you suggesting that addiction is a disease? Are you referring to dependency one can get when they start heavily drinking alcohol?

I am generally less empathetic towards people, that I know. I don’t WANT people to feel bad, I just wish people could shrug things off like I can.

I do feel empathy to genuine hurt feelings, but I’m also a little bit of an elitist and I try to push perseverance.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And like I explained, she doesn’t have the disease and it was probably stress-related, due to how she takes care of her hair, or inflammation.

Just like eating too many cheeseburgers makes you fat.

There is an autoimmune disorder (disease) where it attacks hair follicles thinking they’re a foreign object. Granted. That’s a disease. There is currently no cure and no great treatment for that variety.

Inflammation, stress or keeping your hair too tight? Not diseases.

We can discuss this all day or we can circle back to she was currently suffering no conditions of the “disease,” and the joke was tame.

You literally said that her alopecia is areata. Alopecia areata is a disease. Period. There’s no back and forth to go. You’re wrong and now you’re just arguing to try to save face for the completely stupid comment you made. 

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Respectfully, I find this absurd. What is the Academy Awards trying to be that makes the following joke crossing a line?

Jada, I love you. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it.

they're trying to be a family-friendly event that is viewed as THE most prestigious award show. low-hanging jokes and assault are both things that go against that identity.

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

You literally said that her alopecia is areata. Alopecia areata is a disease. Period. There’s no back and forth to go. You’re wrong and now you’re just arguing to try to save face for the completely stupid comment you made. 

Yes, but after actually looking into her specific condition, I don’t think it’s that.

Alopecia areata is a disease I’ll grant, but…

People call that for a lot of different things and immediately diagnose it as soon as bald spots appear on anybody. It’s just an easy diagnosis.

But when it comes back at the rate it does for her, that’s when I get skeptical.

It’s honestly probably just stress or inflammation for her, and I’m pretty sure those aren’t diseases.

But the truth is, you’re right. If it is genuine areata, you’re right and I concede defeat on that point alone.

Edited by Outpost31

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

they're trying to be a family-friendly event that is viewed as THE most prestigious award show. low-hanging jokes and assault are both things that go against that identity.

What about when Ricky Gervais put a glass of alcohol in front of Mel Gibson?

Was that not making fun of what you called a disease?

I believe that’s mate, mate.

• Like 1