2022 Academy Awards

Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Oh okay, so scientific names don't matter now 🤣

Go re-read my original post. I didn't say they had the same type of alopecia. Dunking on yourself after your obscene arrogance has been glorious to witness. I think we're done here though.

If you’re trying to argue that scientific names matter, then you should use the scientific name and not the colloquial term for a different disease. Literally no one refers to male pattern baldness simply as “alopecia,” as a scientific name because “alopecia” isn’t a scientific diagnosis; it’s a subset of other things. The fact that you’re trying to argue this as a gotcha because you used a colloquial term and people understood it as a colloquial term instead of a usage that doesn’t exist is pretty funny.

And further, male pattern baldness is not *worse* than alopecia areata as you tried to claim, either.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I can ALMOST agree with this, but I ultimately disagree because it’s common practice to crack light jokes at these events.

Also, the GI Jane look is NOT a bad look and Demi Moore was sexy AF in that movie and it is commonly accepted as a sexy look if a woman can pull it off, and Jada did.

maybe then Chris Rock should have explained to Will that he thinks his wife is sexy

I will say this…

If Rock said something that would have indicated she didn’t look good, I would agree with the other side.

It wasn’t all that disparaging.

Like if a bigger dude who had more fat than muscle got called Arnold or something, not a bad joke. If they got called like… I don’t know, some ugly fat guy… Worse.

The intent of the joke wasn’t bad. It wasn’t disparaging as far as looks.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

maybe then Chris Rock should have explained to Will that he thinks his wife is sexy

I mean I felt it was implied.

Maybe Will just didn’t want another man having sexual intercourse with his weird open marriage wife.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t know why you posted that because it solidifies my entire point.

It’s just a joke. Will Smith is hypocritical, but I don’t think his joke there was bad.

Is his past self, some 30 years ago, and his current self at odds with each other? Yes. And if we assume that he’s the same person he was back in 93 or whenever this clip is from, then yes he’s hypocritical. But that doesn’t prove that his past self was right and current self is wrong any more than it proves that his current self is right and past self is wrong. 

It isn’t *different because she’s a woman,* it’s different because we’re talking about people who have a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease and maybe we should try to be kind to people really struggling through something.

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

Is his past self, some 30 years ago, and his current self at odds with each other? Yes. And if we assume that he’s the same person he was back in 93 or whenever this clip is from, then yes he’s hypocritical. But that doesn’t prove that his past self was right and current self is wrong any more than it proves that his current self is right and past self is wrong. 

It isn’t *different because she’s a woman,* it’s different because we’re talking about people who have a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease and maybe we should try to be kind to people really struggling through something.

Meh.

It brought national attention to a lesser known disease that currently has no cure.

I feel like my opinion on it counts maybe a tiny bit more than yours does and I frankly flat out do not care.

Do a lot of people with alopecia care? Probably.

But I think I’m right, and you think I’m wrong and that’s that.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Meh.

It brought national attention to a lesser known disease that currently has no cure.

I feel like my opinion on it counts maybe a tiny bit more than yours does and I frankly flat out do not care.

Do a lot of people with alopecia care? Probably.

But I think I’m right, and you think I’m wrong and that’s that.

Your opinion on it probably matters more than mine because you’ve gone through the teasing and stuff, sure. If your opinion matters more than mine because you’ve dealt with teasing for this specific thing, then I think we just have to acknowledge that Jada’s response to the joke directed directly at her is an opinion that supersedes all of our opinions on the matter. In which case, due to her response and her husband’s reaction, we have to conclude that it was distasteful. 

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Your opinion on it probably matters more than mine because you’ve gone through the teasing and stuff, sure. If your opinion matters more than mine because you’ve dealt with teasing for this specific thing, then I think we just have to acknowledge that Jada’s response to the joke directed directly at her is an opinion that supersedes all of our opinions on the matter. In which case, due to her response and her husband’s reaction, we have to conclude that it was distasteful. 

Kinda, but not really because of how they reacted.

Just now, pwny said:

If you’re trying to argue that scientific names matter, then you should use the scientific name and not the colloquial term for a different disease. Literally no one refers to male pattern baldness simply as “alopecia,” as a scientific name because “alopecia” isn’t a scientific diagnosis; it’s a subset of other things. The fact that you’re trying to argue this as a gotcha because you used a colloquial term and people understood it as a colloquial term instead of a usage that doesn’t exist is pretty funny.

And further, male pattern baldness is not *worse* than alopecia areata as you tried to claim, either.

Androgenus alopecia is a form of alopecia. Alopecia areata is a form of alopecia. These are facts. LeBron's hit him in his mid 20's. Jada's hit her in her late 40's. I suppose worse is technically subjective but let's be honest we know who has it worse between the two. You've argued for scientific terms for disease instead of disorder and against it for alopecia. Meaning your use of semantics is hypocritical-you change the definition based on what you're arguing.

I'd genuinely take a hard look in the mirror about this and consider why you're projecting these strong feelings of having to be right onto me when it's you who is factually incorrect. Regardless, this conversation has become tedious. Unless there's some sort of acknowledgement that 1) You escalated things by being an ******* or 2) There is at least some validity to what I'm saying, I'm done responding to you.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Androgenus alopecia is a form of alopecia. Alopecia areata is a form of alopecia. These are facts. LeBron's hit him in his mid 20's. Jada's hit her in her late 40's. I suppose worse is technically subjective but let's be honest we know who has it worse between the two. You've argued for scientific terms for disease instead of disorder and against it for alopecia. Meaning your use of semantics is hypocritical-you change the definition based on what you're arguing.

I'd genuinely take a hard look in the mirror about this and consider why you're projecting these strong feelings of having to be right onto me when it's you who is factually incorrect. Regardless, this conversation has become tedious. Unless there's some sort of acknowledgement that 1) You escalated things by being an ******* or 2) There is at least some validity to what I'm saying, I'm done responding to you.

I am not arguing against the use of scientific terms for alopecia. I’m arguing that to use scientific terms, you need to actually use the scientific term. If you want to refer to what LeBron has by its scientific name, refer to it by it’s scientific name; androgenus alopecia. Don’t refer to it as alopecia, when literally no one refers to androgenus alopecia as simply alopecia. Calling male pattern baldness “alopecia” is not using scientific terms; it is either 1. attempting to use a scientific term incorrectly or 2. using a colloquial term for a different disease. You can pick whichever one you were doing, but they’re both wrong.

If you had a cold sore, you wouldn’t go around telling everyone that you have herpes and expect that they’ll know that you’re talking about herpes simplex 1, and not herpes simplex 2. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I will say this…

If Rock said something that would have indicated she didn’t look good, I would agree with the other side.

It wasn’t all that disparaging.

Like if a bigger dude who had more fat than muscle got called Arnold or something, not a bad joke. If they got called like… I don’t know, some ugly fat guy… Worse.

The intent of the joke wasn’t bad. It wasn’t disparaging as far as looks.

What does the scene look like if Rock calls Danny Devito a short fat mountain troll and Devito comes up and slaps him 

• Like 2

Alopecia areata is one of the many side effects I got from my stem cell transplant for leukemia and I must say, if the most difficult thing you have to deal with is bald spots, my prayers are with you. 

• Like 2