2022 Academy Awards

Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is mostly true. I guess I’d be willing to have a conversation on this one. Are you suggesting that addiction is a disease? Are you referring to dependency one can get when they start heavily drinking alcohol?

I am generally less empathetic towards people, that I know. I don’t WANT people to feel bad, I just wish people could shrug things off like I can.

I do feel empathy to genuine hurt feelings, but I’m also a little bit of an elitist and I try to push perseverance.

Yes. most medical associations and independent doctors classify addiction as a disease including alcoholism.

quick google search found this webpage that explains a lot of this really well in a manner better than I could

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Do you know what alopecia is? I'm guessing you don't. The irony of this post is astounding.

Males pattern baldness is also called Androgenic alopecia. Congrats on the biggest self own in the history of this site 🤣

I mean the fact that you don’t understand that colloquial terms are used and that no one would ever refer to male pattern baldness simply as alopecia says a lot about where we are here. But go off, my dude. 

Just now, pwny said:

I mean the fact that you don’t understand that colloquial terms are used and that no one would ever refer to male pattern baldness simply as alopecia says a lot about where we are here. But go off, my dude. 

They do though, and that goes into what I just said. A lot of people DO call male pattern baldness alopecia areata.

It’s a diagnosis that’s pretty commonly thrown around, especially when it’s located to one area.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes, but after actually looking into her specific condition, I don’t think it’s that.

Alopecia areata is a disease I’ll grant, but…

People call that for a lot of different things and immediately diagnose it as soon as bald spots appear on anybody. It’s just an easy diagnosis.

But when it comes back at the rate it does for her, that’s when I get skeptical.

It’s honestly probably just stress or inflammation for her, and I’m pretty sure those aren’t diseases.

And what background do you have to diagnose her and call into question the diagnosis that she received?

Just now, pwny said:

Oh okay, so scientific names don't matter now 🤣

Go re-read my original post. I didn't say they had the same type of alopecia. Dunking on yourself after your obscene arrogance has been glorious to witness. I think we're done here though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

And what background do you have to diagnose her and call into question the diagnosis that she received?

A background of having alopecia totalis for 16 years and no hair growing back on my head for that amount of time and knowing that if it’s growing back at all it’s probably not alopecia.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Who did Gibson have slap Gervais?

Gibson wasn’t sensitive.

Jada and Will were.

Gervais ripped people apart way more than Rock did IIRC. Are the Oscars supposed to be more family friendly than the Golden Globes? I can’t imagine kids being all that interested in either show.

Who did Gibson have slap Gervais?

Gibson wasn’t sensitive.

Jada and Will were.

whether or not someone is or is not sensitive is not relevant. Chris Rock & Ricky Gervais were in the wrong in their independent situations. Will & maybe (likely) Jada were in the wrong in their situation for resorting to assault. LIS everyone was in the wrong. 

1 minute ago, JohnChimpo said:

Gervais ripped people apart way more than Rock did IIRC. Are the Oscars supposed to be more family friendly than the Golden Globes? I can’t imagine kids being all that interested in either show.

I think if the past couple days have shown anything it's that kids (well, most people) are more interested in Celebrity Deathmatch coming back than any live awards show

• Like 2

They do though, and that goes into what I just said. A lot of people DO call male pattern baldness alopecia areata.

It’s a diagnosis that’s pretty commonly thrown around, especially when it’s located to one area.

If anybody sees what is actually male pattern baldness and gives a diagnosis of alopecia areata, they are wrong. They are two different things. Conflating the two, as he is trying to do for some sort of poorly formed own, is incorrect.

We have no evidence for LeBron ever being diagnosed with alopecia areata (colloquially known simply as alopecia), but do know the public diagnosis for Jada.

And since you both keep making the argument that it’s actually a gender thing, here’s a video of a much, much younger Will Smith making a joke at the expense of someone on the Arsenio Hall show who also suffered from alopecia. I — and I’m willing to bet everyone else here arguing similar points to me — find this every bit as wrong as what happened the other day. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

whether or not someone is or is not sensitive is not relevant. Chris Rock & Ricky Gervais were in the wrong in their independent situations. Will & maybe (likely) Jada were in the wrong in their situation for resorting to assault. LIS everyone was in the wrong. 

I can ALMOST agree with this, but I ultimately disagree because it’s common practice to crack light jokes at these events.

Also, the GI Jane look is NOT a bad look and Demi Moore was sexy AF in that movie and it is commonly accepted as a sexy look if a woman can pull it off, and Jada did.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

If anybody sees what is actually male pattern baldness and gives a diagnosis of alopecia areata, they are wrong. They are two different things. Conflating the two, as he is trying to do for some sort of poorly formed own, is incorrect.

We have no evidence for LeBron ever being diagnosed with alopecia areata (colloquially known simply as alopecia), but do know the public diagnosis for Jada.

And since you both keep making the argument that it’s actually a gender thing, here’s a video of a much, much younger Will Smith making a joke at the expense of someone on the Arsenio Hall show who also suffered from alopecia. I — and I’m willing to bet everyone else here arguing similar points to me — find this every bit as wrong as what happened the other day. 

I don’t know why you posted that because it solidifies my entire point.

It’s just a joke. Will Smith is hypocritical, but I don’t think his joke there was bad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yes. most medical associations and independent doctors classify addiction as a disease including alcoholism.

quick google search found this webpage that explains a lot of this really well in a manner better than I could

I think this issue is a lot cloudier than an actual diagnosed disease. I've witnessed two types of alcoholics in my life. The kind where the alcohol has affected their brain to the point of actually suffering from a disease and needing medical intervention, and the kind who drinks a handle of whiskey every 1-2 days and then is able to quit cold turkey for a month just to say "I don't feel any better now than when I was drinking". That second example is just someone making excuses because they have proven the physical ability to quit. 

So yes alcoholism/addiction is a disease. For some, it's genetic and cannot be cured on their own, but some people are able to cure themselves with a little effort and just don't want to.